Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I saw the complete Sims in the store for $49. Sims2 by itself is $49 and then there are all the expansion packs.

Is Sims2 worth the price?

Winterfell

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I can't say from personal experience (and I realize that probably doesn't really help you much), but every single friend I have that plays the Sims line of games plays Sims 2 and the various expansions. In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard them talk about the first Sims.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
This is a tough call--I've played both on the PC platform, though not every single expansion. I think the Sims 2 is a better game, but it does take some more work (Sims age and die, so everything becomes a little more stressful) and taxes your system more. The graphics are much better and there are more features. I'm thinking about getting the Sims 2 for my MacBook soon, but am a little worried about the system requirements--I will not be buying the Sims 1, as awesome as that game was. I'd rather try to master the stressful parts of the Sims 2, rather than sacrifice the features/stuff in that game.

I'm just one person, though, and not a Sims diehard--any other thoughts?

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
This is a tough call--I've played both on the PC platform, though not every single expansion. I think the Sims 2 is a better game, but it does take some more work (Sims age and die, so everything becomes a little more stressful) and taxes your system more. The graphics are much better and there are more features. I'm thinking about getting the Sims 2 for my MacBook soon, but am a little worried about the system requirements--I will not be buying the Sims 1, as awesome as that game was. I'd rather try to master the stressful parts of the Sims 2, rather than sacrifice the features/stuff in that game.

I'm just one person, though, and not a Sims diehard--any other thoughts?
i have a pretty huge house on the sims 2 running on a mac mini duo 1.66 with 1.25 GB ram.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I'd go with the Sims 2 if your running a G5 or a Intel Mac. G4 and earlier I would reccomend The Sims. If you have a G4 that's at least 1.5 Ghz, then it's a little more iffy. I ran Sims 2 on a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook, and it ran alright, but I had to turn the graphics down to almost minimum for it to run acceptably.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
as a mater of interest the sims 2 pets includes multithreaded opengl support, any word on how much faster this is than normal?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
The Sims will have more items but The Sims 2 has much better mechanics and overall will be a lot more fun to play, it is also more deep and the expansions are good too but even if you just can get The Sims 1 complete versus The Sims 2 alone then I would still go for The Sims 2.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I really love the original Sims. I had actually never played it before until last August when I bought the Sims Complete. With every expansion pack included there's endless things you can do with it. I haven't tried the Sims 2 yet though, but I like that it has more detailed graphics and probably more realistic game play since sims age, but I think the complete collection is a great value. It works great on my PowerBook 1.67. If I pick up Sims 2 I'll probably wait until they package it with a couple expansion packs or so. I love expansions but generally can't justify spending the money on them.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Is the Sims Complete a universal binary? I'm thining of getting it just because I had that game and most of the expansion packs on my old Dell (RIP), and I've been dying to play it again.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
If I pick up Sims 2 I'll probably wait until they package it with a couple expansion packs or so. I love expansions but generally can't justify spending the money on them.

I think I'll pick up Sims2 and wait on buying the expansion packs. At quick glance, it looks like the complete Sims2 game with all the packs is something like $300! :eek:

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
I saw the complete Sims in the store for $49. Sims2 by itself is $49 and then there are all the expansion packs.

Is Sims2 worth the price?

The Sims 2 for sure. Graphics and everything and much better than the first. Much more engaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.