sims

Discussion in 'Games' started by sallys72@aol.co, Dec 21, 2006.

1. sallys72@aol.co macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Tonight I had sims 2 and nightlife installed on my computer, and everything was fine until I installed a patch for sims 2. Now it tells me to reinstall sims 2, so I try but I get this message : "The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "ealogo_audio.movie" could not be read or written. Error code -36. Anyone know what that means? I tried deleting everything for the sims to try to reinstall it fresh and I still get that message. :( I don't know what to do. Please help me! I am using mac 10.4.8

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Can you find the file "ealogo_audio.movie" on your computer? If so, can you rename it to "OLDealogo_audio.movie" and then try reinstalling The Sims?

3. sallys72@aol.co thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, when I look for it in finder it shows up 29 times! Its all the times I've tried to install it I guess? Well I click on it int he finder and dont see an option for rename, but I did info and it says its located /volumes/thesims2.localized/thesims2.localized/tsdata/res/movies.

How do I find that to rename it? I'm sorry I'm pretty new to mac and don't really know how to do much!

4. sallys72@aol.co thread starter macrumors newbie

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, not the one on the CD. You need to eject the CD and do another search. If you find any of this file on your hard drive, that's what needs to be renamed.

6. sallys72@aol.co thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see how to rename it, but there is a move to trash option, should i just do that?

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As long as you're going to then reinstall The Sims from CD, sure, that should work. The idea here is to eliminate the existing copy of the file, which may have something wrong with it which is preventing it from being read or written to as it should be.

8. sallys72@aol.co thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, I deleted it all.. and it still doesn't install. :( Same thing comes up..

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Empty the Trash, then verify and repair your hard drive using Disk Utility.

10. sallys72@aol.co thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the verify and repaire disk utility, now I get an error message that says "ssx_p1lose.movie" could not be read or written.. so I guess I'll go through and delete those.. and then the other one again. is there a way that maybe Im not uninstalling everything on the sims?

11. sallys72@aol.co thread starter macrumors newbie

now every time i get the ssx_p1lose.movie error. I delete it out, everything out of the folder, everything off the hard drive, empty the trash, start it all over and again i get that same error message. I got rid of the first one, but this one is not going away.. :( I just don't know what to do.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Repair the drive again, and if it finds errors do it again - keep repairing until it finds nothing wrong. Try repairing permissions too.

13. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

This was a common error with that patch. What you must do is uninstall the Sims 2 entirely (yes I know it's a pain) then reinstall each one with it's related patch. For example Sims2 + patch, University + patch, Nightlife + patch.

14. sallys72@aol.co thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, the disk finds no errors.. but it still wont install. I can't install each one with the patch, becasue I can't install the first one. I can't install just plain sims 2. It tells me this message now, its done it over and over: The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "ssx_p1lose.movie" could not be read or written. Error code -36. So, I delete ssx_p1lose.movie. delete out anything it has started to install and I can't get it to go anywhere. I try to reinstall it and it gives me that. So I can't even get to a point that I could install a patch. the thing that drives me crazy is the game worked until I did install the patch. Now I deleted the patch, the game, and all traces of sim anything from my computer and I can't get it to even install so it doesn't make sense.. :-(

Thank you everyone for your help. I appreciate it! I'm just so frustrated with this stupid game right now!