Sin City Debuts tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cabrini715, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

Anyone else extremely pumped besides me for Sin City!? :D

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, I'll definitely be seeing it tomorrow evening... I'm not a Robert Rodriguez fan (Spy Kids? gak!), but I do like Frank Miller, and the movie seems like a good "thought experiment" (i.e., "can we do this?") in the same vein as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (both of which I really liked).

3. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

And guest director Quintin Tarantino!!! You know this movie is going to be awesome. The dialogue is almost word for word from the comics!

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

not really familiar with the comics, but I am really pumped about the movie, based on the trailers and ads I've seen for it, and also who is in it. I cannot wait :D

5. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

Bruce Willis, Jessica Alba, Benicio Del Toro, Brittany Murphy, Elijah Wood, Michael Clark Duncan, Josh Hartnett, Clive Owen, Rosario Dawson and guest directed by Quentin Tarantino

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I got to see a sneak preview of it Wednesday night. Wow! It totally rocks. I like the Marv character. By far the most bad-azz character to ever grace the silver screen. Robert Rodriguez is my favorite director and I must say, he has definately risen the bar. Not a single weakness in the movie in my opinion.

I take that back, kinda. I have doubts as to wether it is main-stream enough to make the oodles and oodles of money it deserves. Its made of three different stories (shorts almost) that dont really have anything to do with each other except for the fact that they all take place in Sin City. They are interwoven somewhat in that there are characters from one story in another story, but not having to do with the same story line (hope that made sense).

BEST RODRIGUEZ MOVIE EVER! You must see it.

7. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

8. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Oh. And usually when I hear people talk of how violent a movie is, I dont really pay any attention. But ummm, Sin City is crazy, wacky violent (so friggen sweet). It wallows in its violence. Fortunately, its a very stylized violence. For instance, when a character get his hand blown off, he bleeds white.

Fair amount of nudity, too. Although, not sensual nudity. Nudity as in half naked women walking around with guns. But I digress...

Ahhhh. Beautiful combination. :D

9. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Anything that has been touched by Tarantino turns to gold...a peculiar kind of gold, but gold nonetheless.

10. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Great cast, cool visual look, Jessica Alba, good reviews so far, I'll be seeing it. I'll probably wait a few days, could be very crowded this weekend, but I am very excited!

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I just got back from seeing it....wow...

Maybe the most visually stunning movie I've ever seen. I want to go see it again.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Having seen it earlier today, I have just three words:

Carla Gugino naked. :)

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have yet to see a good review :confused:.

I read an article today in the newspaper that said the only thing good about it was the visuals.

scem0

14. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Say no more ;)

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You need to check out Ebert's review in the Chicago Sun-Times... he gives it 4 out of 4 stars.

And all due respect to Jessica Alba, Brittany Murphy, Rosario Dawson, Jamie King, Devon Aoki, et al... but Carla Gugino is definitely the hottest actress I've seen in a movie in a LONG time. She's the oldest of the lot, and curvy, but... wow, I think I should just stop right there.

16. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how Nick Hartnett's character fit into the movie. His character is listed on IMDB as being "The Salesman." Am I missing something?

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That would be Josh Hartnett, and he was the assassin/hitman at the beginning and end of the movie. I guess in the Sin City comics he had a name.

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Oops...right, Josh.

I know he was the hitman at the beginning and end, I'm just trying to figure out what his purpose was. ?

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im looking forward to it. some of my friends especially the girls arent up to seeing it so ill just have to go with the boys ;)

20. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

21. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Hmm, I actually haven't seen any bad reviews of it. Some people are uncomfortable with the violence, but still recommend the movie.

22. Cabrini715 thread starter macrumors member

Cabrini715

Awesome movie, everything I expected and more! Tarantino polishes it off with his wacky and funny violence. A+ and a Must See! :D

23. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I might just go see it again tomorrow...

24. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Tarantino directed one scene. The one with Del Toro and Owen in the car. I don't think it was him who thought about the violence, that was all from Frank Miller's comics.

25. TrashCanDan macrumors member

I saw it last night and was blown away. I have never seen a comicbook movie quite like this (felt like a comicbook). Benicio Del Toro and Mickey Rourke gave an awsome performance.