Since I get my best psychological counseling here....

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGary, Sep 15, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I think many of you know I have a Naval Academy Midshipman working for me part-time, and I really enjoy his company and good help (when he isn't putting half naked women on my desktop). I've actually become his local sponsor...

Well, my client just added money to my budget, and I have to basically fire him and hire a part-time person that can dedicate more time...

How on God's earth do I break this to him without him writing me off? :(

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Can't he apply for the post?

Break it to him by telling exactly what's happened -- adult to adult.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Explain the situation, offering the additional hours to him first. You never know, he might be able to do it for the extra cash.

If he can't, then he knows it wasn't personal and it's because you need additional help. You can offer to help him with contacts for additional work. Or perhaps tell him that you might be able to use him 'freelance' if you get busy.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

No, for some reason, they've grown a distaste for him that I cannot break them of.

He messed up some pictures early in the summer, which were expensive to fix, and they can't seem to let it go.

5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

life always seems to be filled with pockets of stress such as this, where you cant help yourself being forced into an awkward situation, especially when there is a friend involved. i have this same situation with what i do...im a lifeguard at my local pool, and many of my friends also work there. its horrible to have to tell your friends that they are doing something wrong, or telling them what to do all the time. we al find it quite hard, but i guess its team building:D i have never had to fire someone before though as im not in a management type position. i agree with blue velvet, man to man.....there is a task to be done....its not personal, its business. tell him exactly what has happened, offer him his options.....if you colleagues are bitter to him then that is their problem, and unless he really is incompetent (everyone makes mistakes, even expensive ones) then you couold offer the post. this method will surely save you worry in the long run. you can do it! go iGary!

tastic

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Offer to allow him to keep his job for another 3-4 weeks while he finds another job, and give him 1/3rd of his current wage for 2-3 weeks if he still can't find a replacement job within the 3-4 week window you gave him (although this last bit isn't necessary at all). Write him a great recommendation letter, and that is all.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's only the first word that's difficult. Tell the truth. Spit it out. You can do it.

8. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

That looks like the trick.

Truth is, I am going to miss working with him.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

your client can't stand him? odd... mistakes happen all the time...

good luck dealing with a tough situation... :(

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, that's the tough part - I totally disagree with their asessment of him, but I do agree that we need someone who can work more than ~10-15 hours a week.

He'll no stright off that it is because they are unhappy with him. He's not an idiot.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps you should look for someone who can check your spelling, too?
    :eek:

12. kolache macrumors member

13. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

He's adorable. I think I actually had a crush on him, which is why it was hard to do. That's what my partner said, anyway.

I chatted with him online this afternoon, and while he seems bitter about it, he's an adult and understands.

Still feel crappy.

14. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Bnkmbsdkjw ??

:D

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Who are you, Mr. Mxyzptlk? ;)

16. mpw Guest

I have, and other than the first time, it's been easy.

Of course it's very easy when you've got a reason to fire them, it's is a little harder when you're actually making them redundant when they've done nothing wrong.

Plain facts are always best..."You were warned and didn't learn. You are the weakest link, goodbye!" or "Very sorry but the company can't afford to continue employing you but will help in any way it can so you may find new employment"

Don't say anything you don't mean.

17. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I lost a job because I did something wrong as well and I had to take it. I mean, is better to take responsabilities for my own actions and most of the people do that believe it or not.

As long you are elegant and everything ends in good terms that is what it counts. He is getting fired because of the situation, not because of personal issues and that is part of our work environment and is ok.

Remember, a job to others is not like working for your mom who is going to forgive you again and again... :rolleyes: