since sj's return, what has been apple's best product?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by jefhatfield, Jan 10, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

for software, it would have to be jaguar...grrr

for hardware, the bondi blue 233 mhz original iMac...original ibook would come in a close second for me, followed by the revolutionary, but commercially unsuccessful cube

and in its own category, i like the current mouse...better ergonomically than the hockey puck mouse;)

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Their best product? Apple ads.

Think Different. Fruit flavored iMacs. Switchers. Verne and Yao. Etc. etc.

All of these bring mindshare to Apple. Most of the time, when someone tells me they are thinking of getting a Mac, they haven't been comparing specs and thinking price/performance. They've seen those great ads.

As for the optical mice, they are nice enough, but anything would be better than the hockey puck mice, which were worse than the original pre-Power Mac clunky square mice. Fixing a mistake like that can't be counted as a great achievement.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

4. moby1 macrumors 6502

I STILL want a cube.

Hardware:

Ti PowerBook - set a new standard for laptops.

Cube - honarable mention, crippled by ext. power supply.

15" FP iMac - totally innovative, arguably best home comp. ever.

Software:

OS X 10.2 Jaguar - finally (!) OS X becomes useable everyday.

Final Cut Pro - set a new standard for video editing.

iDVD/iPhoto/Safari - 3 way tie, all revolutionary.

5. moby1 macrumors 6502

iMac (original)

I didn't list this because as I understand development was already underway on this design before Steve came back.

- is that correct?

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

7. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Re: iMac (original)

True.

The iMac was the creation of Jonathan Ive, Apple's chief designer. You may recall seeing him pictured with Steve and the new iMac in Time Magazine last year.

The original iMac was conceived before Steve stepped in, but he played a role in developing the idea.

For anyone who would like to know a bit more about Steve's work returning to Apple, I suggest reading "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs," by Alan Deutschman. It's a quick read that follows his failed dreams at NeXT, investor role at Pixar, and concludes with his second rise to stardom as he returned to our beloved Apple.

Dan

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

The pro mouse is terrific! If only it had two buttons. But fortunately, I have an idea for a two button pro mouse. :) Basically it would have a pivot down the center so you would rock your hand right and left to click. It would look exactly the same and have the same feel, but would provide extended usability.

I also love the white ibook. It's all just right; nothing fancy, just complete perfection. It's meant to be 12" though. The 14" model somehow turned into a monster. I guess I'm starting to sound like a feng shui afficiando now. :) Oh well, the ibook design just rules!!!!

9. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Yeah... I had that idea too. They already have rocking mice though. I hear its not the best... proally could cause some RSI problems if you mouse a lot. Mice are already terrible for your wrists. I go mouset/trackball combo to avoid the pain.

10. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I can see how it might cause RSI, but in my opinion the pro mouse is so comfortable that I think it might be able to use a rocking system quite nicely. I've had problems with RSI and other wrist problems, so I'm extra careful checking out the ergonomics of different devices. But you do raise a good point.

11. Steradian macrumors 6502

12. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing