Since when did iTunes let you do this...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevietheb, Oct 31, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

So, I just noticed that in iTunes 4.7 you can open multiple instances. I currently have one running on my account, and one running on my wife's account. I don't recall being able to do this.

This kills two birds with one stone:
    1) Now I can play music through my attached speakers for me in the office, and for my wife via AirTunes somewhere else in the house.

2) The main library has always been my library because I do most of the importing and whatnot. My library shows up as shared music in her instance (and vice versa), therefore she has access to all my playlists and everything...very nice.

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Sometime around 4.5. It's a great addition to Fast User Switching, and was a big deal when they fixed the problem.
    -Chase

3. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I'd rather have tabbed browsing when in the music store, i'm frustrated that they havn't done this yet. Its been an annoyance since I first used the itunes music store. I'm not even bothered that it wouldn't be able to play music from two different albums. Browsing in the store seems so linear when compared to the rest of the net.

I'd also like to have continous play inside an album rather than click each and every single one when previewing. I tried to make a playlist once to get round it but that didn't work.

Other than that...

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Yes! I'd never thought of that before, but I want it!

5. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Well, I totally missed that. I suppose I should read release notes a little more carefully.

Tabbed browsing in the music store does sound cool!

6. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

How are you doing this, explain more.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There is an AppleScript to do this. It will play all the songs in an iTMS list. You just need to remember to quit it... otherwise, it will attempt to play the next set of songs that show up. I did not write this, BTW.

I downloaded it from this site. Do a search for Music Store player, or just poke around. Lots of good stuff.

8. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

How do I play music to two places at once? In one account I have iTunes open playing to AirTunes, in the other account I have the music playing to the computer speakers. It's not the same music, unfortunately, but it's music to both speakers.

Is that what you wanted to know?

9. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

Wow I didn't know about this.. I've been living in the belief that the problem with itunes still excists. It's good they've fixed this thing eventhough I have no use for the feature at the moment.

10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

RE: my post, I have emailed the iTunes team as well incase anybody should tell me to do it. It might get more voice if more people email them as well ;).

11. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think this must be new with 4.7. I'm almost certain that in 4.6 no one else could open iTunes if I left it open (accidentally, usually) in my account. This is a nice improvement.

12. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

It was definitely there in 4.6, and possibly in 4.5 as well. I've got mixed feelings about it though: iTunes from one account can continue to play when you switch to another account - in previous versions iTunes would pause when you switch - that caught me out a couple of times.

Also, if one account has auto-play on for CDs and a second account does not, the first account will still play a music CD when it's loaded, even if that user account is not the current one. This caught me out too - I have auto-play set off, and I once put a CD in the drive and it started playing. I couldn't control the volume, couldn't stop it playing, couldn't play any other tracks ... eventually I realised that my daughers account, with auto-play on, was playing the CD, so I had to switch to her account and stop the CD from there.