Since when does Safari have inline search (10.4.9)??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xUKHCx, Mar 15, 2007.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just accidentally entered something into the address bar rather than the search bar and hit enter. Up popped a google page with the relevant results. I could've sworn that safari didn't used to do this. Is this an added feature as of 10.4.9, Safari Version 2.0.4 (419.3).

It's great that they have added this, made my day finding this out.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

When I enter a word into the address bar and hit enter Safari adds "http://www.[word].com" I have the same Safari version as you ... but I also have Saft. I doubt that it's changing this particular behavior though.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Same here but I don't have Saft.

4. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any plugins? If you reset Safari form the Safari menu, does it still happen? This is weird. Safari doesn't really need inline search because it has the Google bar already.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

This doesn't happen for me. I tried "mac rumors" and Safari tried www.mac rumors.com to no avail. ::shrug::

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I remember another thread about this, but I can't find it right now. In that case, it seemed to run a Google search when some terms were entered, but other times it went to the .com address for the term. But I can't remember if a cause was ever determined for it.

8. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No plugins installed - used to have Sogudi but it isn't installed anymore.

Weird so far it has only worked with "mac rumors" and "john arne riise"

If i enter "dogs" it takes me to www.dogs.com

Maybe not so good then. I would like inline search because i often open a new tab to find something out and the address bar is selected when a new tab is made. (I know i can do it by searching in the google bar on the first page and hold command when i hit enter but i never remember about this)

Also wish the google search bar was customisable i prefer to search google UK

It is what i am experiencing here.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I use AcidSeach to customize by Google search bar.

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I use Inquisitor (now free). You can set it to search Google UK.

When I put "mac rumors" in the URL bar I get Safari trying to connect to "http://mac%20rumors/". I mean they've got the Google search bar right there so I doubt they'd add "inline" search, especially as an unannounced feature.

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I am dying to find a Safari plugin that does 'search in address bar' just like how Firefox does it (Firefox even has optional UK localisation.)

I love this to death in FF, but now I am trying to use Safari a bit more, and this is a real pain in the arse. I'm so used to just typing in xxxx xxxx xxx in the address bar and having a google page pop up that it's hard to cope without it.

Having to tab or mouse over to the Google field just isn't working for me. It seems an unneeded step for me. (not arguing to have the Google area taken out - I understand it's useful for separation).

xUKHCx's observation doesn't work for me and never has. All the other suggestions here are for tweaking the Google field, which is not what I want.

I tried out SafariSIA (Safari Search In Address bar) which promised exactly what I wanted, but it was last updated in 2006, and appears to no longer work with Safari 3.2.1 and OSX 10.5.6

Any other tips?

12. ihabime macrumors 6502

Maybe post in a thread that hasn't been dead for 2 years?

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I used MRoogle (gasp! yes I actually searched before starting a new thread!) and this thread came up.

It was either post here or start a new thread. My issue's exactly the same as the OP, so I thought I'd post here.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread if you have the same issue... better than starting a duplicate thread. On MRoogle, did you notice this filtering option for your searches?

Picture 7.jpg

15. ihabime macrumors 6502

I'm generally against starting dup threads too, but in cases like this I think you'd get better results from a new thread, since people can be easily distracted by the OPs problems and not get to yours. In this case it sounds like his ISP was redirecting DNS misses directly to a google search, making it seem like he had Firefox like searching. A lot of ISPs do that now, but instead of google you get their branded search or site not found page.

In your case, you might check out the Searching section of http://pimpmysafari.com/
    Lots of input managers and SIMBL plugins for Safari that might be of use to you.

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks for the tips, both about threads and searching, and about Safari. Off to have a look at the pimpin' site now.