single processor to dual problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G4Alex, Nov 22, 2006.

1. G4Alex macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I hope I've posted this in the right place.
    I've got a power PC G4 with a single 450 mhz processer, 256 mb ram and a bus speed of 100 mhz. I bought a dual 450 mhz processor from e bay with the hope of fitting it and making my mac a little faster. I connected it up and it won't work, the computer will not boot up. I've currently put my original processer back in which is working fine. The dual processer came from a G4 as well. Should this processor work or is it not compatible with my mac?
    Any help wpuold be appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Alex.

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Only G4/450's with a UNI-7 motherboard can take a dual-processor card/upgrade. You can look here: http://powerlogix.com/support/agp_dual_compat/index.html for a downloadable utility that will tell you if you have a UNI-7 or not.......

I did this same upgrade a while back, except with a DP 500 card, works great and way faster than the single 450

3. G4Alex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link and your help. Turns out my mac is not dual processer compatible which is a bit annoying! :mad:
    Would it be better to up grade my mother board so it is dual compatible or sell on my processer and get a more powerful single processer?
    thanks,
    Alex.
    :)

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Well, a UNI-7 mobo would probably cost almost as much as a faster single cpu card (~$200-300). Personally, I would sell both your current machine and the dual cpu you bought, and put those funds together towards a faster machine, like a QS or MDD.