Single windows app on the mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i0Nic, Feb 23, 2007.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I'm new to this whole virtualisation, boot camp etc stuff.
    Basically there is one windows program (SPSS) that I want to run on my macbook. The issues are I have little space left on my macbook and although I can probably clear a few more gigs I really don't want to use up 10gb just for that one program.

What is the easiest way to use this program on my mac, what software do I need and what do I need to know?

thanks in advance!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it will run under Crossover Mac then this is probably the best solution as it does not require a Windows install at all. Otherwise you have no choice but to do a full Windows install. In this case I'd go for Parallels as it does not require a disk repartition and you can use a lot less than 10Gb as it compresses the virtual disk and dynamically expands it so a basic Win 2k install and one smallish app should take under 1Gb of real disk space...

3. shawsinio macrumors regular

One thing with SPSS is that it won't run on an intel mac if u have the mac version, as rosetta interferes with the clculations it does or something. I don't think that this would affect it if you ran it in windows on your mac tho, but just a thought.

shawsinio