Sinking and Swimming

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, May 30, 2006.

?

Do you float or sink?

1. Yes, I can float

74.6%
  2. No, I sink under the water

23.7%
  3. Sorry, I don't know how to swim: but now's a great time to find out!

5.1%
  1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

While I was at the municipal swimming pool today, I noticed something interesting. I was hanging out in the diving well with a few of my friends, sitting around and trying to stay afloat. The problem was that I kept sinking into the water. In fact, if I didn't vigorously kick my legs and flail my arms I slowly sank. While all of my other friends could lay on their backs and float, I was left bobbing upright with my head half an inch below the surface. Why is that? Why do certain people float and certain people sink?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fat people float. If you're skinny, you'll find it hard to float. If you're muscly, you'll find it even harder. It's also dependent on how much air you're keeping in your lungs. :)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Did you have two lungs full of air?

Me and the jew rock the house. ;)

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hm, and here I thought buoyancy was something about maintaining less density. :p

Actually though, I think it's more than just fat vs thinner people. Some people are just more buoyant (I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will come and tell us more).

Man, the poll doesn't it cut it for me. I can somewhat float. My legs and feet start to sink. :eek:

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problem too small, no question too abstract. :D

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

7. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Yep, I breathed in so heavily it hurt.

Ah, do you think losing 24 pounds in two months would do that? I could float last summer... :p

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depends. As devilot said, it's a matter of density which means it is dependent on weight and volume. Remember, muscle is more dense than fat. :)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I used to sink like a rock. Now I float like styrofoam. The whole fat/muscle/density thing is true.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Heh. Hahha. I'm sorry, I find that hillarious. Especially because I know that I've seen styrofoam float, but I don't know where, how, or why. :D :eek:

11. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I really dislike the idea of immersing myself in water without standing on something somewhat solid. :eek:

So, I don't intend to find out if I float or sink.

Short of some catastrophe.

May my buoyancy remain mysterious, then ...

12. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

For some strange reason I find that when you are not concentrating on swimming i.e. floating, you float naturally with out any effort, but once you realise you are floating you quickly begin to sink and have to 'force' yourself to float.

A long time ago when I did not know how to swim, I was at a beach paying close attention to the water (not looking at the shore) as such I did not realise that the tide pulled me back a good 50 metres. I was floating naturally when I did not realise this, however I eventually looked up at the shore and instantly when I realised that I was in really deep water, began to sink. I owe my life to a surfer who was around and offered assistance.

As a side not I highly recommend people who can't swim take some lessons, its the best thing you can do for yourself. I took a course on swimming and surviving and can safely feel confident around the water. It included everything such as cpr, swimming, to learning about tides, waves, and etc

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i float. but i'm i'm whimpy body figure so ya....
    When i was in australia and went scuba diving i was down swimming around then all of sudden i floated up to the surface almost hitting my head on the bottom of the boat... now that's freaky...:eek: :eek:

14. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I'm sort of mid grounds. I'm very muscular, so I sink, but I slowly sink, not like a rock.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm not fat, but I float (large lungs). If I exhale, I'll sink. This works great while snorkeling.

D

16. CompUser Guest

Andy, the best thing to do start to sink normally, level your body so your entire front of your body is facing the bottom of the pool, and then just let all the air out of your lungs. Its really fun. You sink like a rock and you can lay on the bottom. Just don't do it too much or you will get a really bad headache.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's fun to do.

Floatability varies with the type of water as well. It is much easier to float in salt water vice fresh water.

For kicks, take a deep breath, dive down a little ways (5-6 feet), then curl up like a ball holding your arms around your legs. Then stay that way. You will eventually float to the surface with your back being the high point.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I haven't tested how people sink or float, but I did test the claim that diet soft drinks float and non-diet soft drinks sink. It was true, at least for Cokes.

I'll have to throw some people in the water next, to see if dieters sink and non-dieters float.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Couldn't agree more.

Ya never know when you might end up in water. And knowing what to do can save your life.

20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Better than keeping a positive mental outlook? :D

*counts on other MRers to save him when the apocalypse comes*

21. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I got an award from the mayor once for doing a star float. You have no idea how many years I have waited to be able to say that...

If I breathe in, I float. If I breathe out, I sink. If I lie on my back I can normally stay afloat :)

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

First job was a life guard, several pounds ago. :)

23. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Ive got the sinking leg condition as well. Generally I float though. Pretty effortlessly in fact. I did grow up on an island and did a lot of swimming though. Maybe its just natural at this point? Anyway, it does seem easier to float in the ocean than to float in a pool. Maybe our sinkers should try the ocean and see if its any different.

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I float. I'll bet that iGav does too. But, I'll sink soon! I'm going to start exercising next Monday! :D

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's 'cause salt changes the density of the water. :D Wait, right? Right? :eek: