Sinus Infection Complications: questions!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Neserk, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My father recently had a sinus infection and now is in the hospital in critical condition. There is something associated with either sinus infecitons, bacterial infections, or viral infections called: killian bar syndrome. It causes total bodiily weakness (his symptom). I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right or even have a good phonetic spelling. I've done search after search and can't find anything on it. Anyone here in the medical field who has the correct spelling or knows anything about it?

The waiting is killing me.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Great, I'm sitting here typing and I have a sinus infection as well....

I hope your dad gets better soon and I'm really curious to find out more about what happened to him and how he got it.

Good luck,

D

3. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Thanks. My dad has a history of sinus problems. When he was around 18/19 he found he had no sinus in his forehead. If what is happening is related to the sinus infection it is very rare. He also didn't go to the doctor when I told him to :rolleyes: But I suspect what has happened is because of extreme stress combined with the sinus infection. In Februrary he was laid off at the tender age of 59 from a job he has been at for 17 years.

4. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Someone sent me in the right direction and I finally found it. It effects 1 in 100,000 people

It is called: Guillain-Barre syndrome and is a temporary auto-immune problem. It is not about the sinus infection but about the viral infection that preceded the sinus infection.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/health_and_medical/pubs/guillain_barre.htm

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Your post above was my thoughts as I read your post. I'm glad that someone was able to point you in the right direction. I certainly hope that your father will be one of the patients that make a full recovery. My prayers go out to your father, his doctors, and the family.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

7. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Thank you! I wil.

They have a few more tests to run (Presumably to rule out other possiblities) but are pretty sure now that this is what is going on.

He will be in the hospital for 7 days, have treatment that includes (basically) removing his blood, cleaning it, and putting it back in. They need to get rid of the antibodies that are attacking his nerves. After this is done he will go into rehab. It can take up to 6 months for complete rehabilitation as his muscles will atrophy, etc.

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I knew someone who had this condition (at least, I think it was this one). It would afflict her two or three times a year, partially paralyzing her for a few days. Not fun.

9. ecche macrumors regular

10. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That sounds more like a form of MS. People with GBS usually only have one bout. Only 3-4 percent have it happen additional times.

11. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My dad is making a remarkable recovery. He walked out of the hospital today (pushing a wheelchair, not on his own). He is now in a rehab clinic where he will continue to get phyisical therapy. My sister's mother-in-law who is a rehab nurse said that his recovery is unusually fast. It is not suprising my family heals fast. After having abdominal surgery my doctor told me the same thing: I was healing very quickly. It is a genetic thing ;)

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's great news, Neserk. It's nice to have good genes - one of the few things you can't buy off eBay. Tell your dad that all 35,990 MacRumors members personally wish him a speedy recovery.

13. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Thanks. We have some bad genes, too ;) But healing fast is one of our good ones.