Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Not only does Siri change settings like brightness and Bluetooth now, but she will read a "preview" of an email!! It's looking like Apple is finally putting a little work into Siri.

The bad news:

Siri is still slow and buggy as ever. I know, I know, it's only Beta 1, and I fully understand that, but it's really disappointing to use the Google search app and watch it scroll the words I'm saying across the screen instantaneously, then switch to Siri and watch a spinning circle for 10 seconds, and then have her respond, "I didn't quite get that." This is on a very strong Wifi connection, by the way.

Okay, Apple, it's time to step up and make Siri what it should have been in the beginning, or at the very least catch up with Google.

On second thought, why don't you just kiss and make up with Google and let them take over the voice assistant stuff.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
How can something still be in Beta 1 for 2 years? Are they just using that as a fall back to explain poor performance? What changes made to Siri would put it "out of beta"?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
How can something still be in Beta 1 for 2 years? Are they just using that as a fall back to explain poor performance? What changes made to Siri would put it "out of beta"?

Ask Google, just about every product they had was Beta for years....

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Ask Google, just about every product they had was Beta for years....

True, but Google always seemed to use that as a caveat for, "don't get mad if we change everything 3 times a day.".

In the meantime, the products were often better than the competition.

Just look at Google Search on the iPhone. It can't hook into the OS, but it blows Siri out of the water even with it's really limited scope.

If Apple let the Google Search loose on iOS, it would be crushing it right now, letting us do almost anything with voice, with nearly instantaneous response times.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
True, but Google always seemed to use that as a caveat for, "don't get mad if we change everything 3 times a day.".

Just look at Google Search on the iPhone. It can't hook into the OS, but it blows Siri out of the water even with it's really limited scope.

If Apple let the Google Search loose on iOS, it would be crushing it right now, letting us do almost anything with voice, with nearly instantaneous response times.

Agreed. The instant feedback from the google voice search is really nice.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA

Google Search is kinda limited in what it can do via voice, even on Android. I was really surprised when I couldn't send a text message without confirming on the touchscreen on my Nexus 4. I really got use to being able to send my wife a message saying I was stuck in traffic via the bluetooth system in my car.

Don't get me wrong, I think Google Now is great. Apple has definitely put some work into Siri use cases that I think Google could still benefit from, though.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Not only does Siri change settings like brightness and Bluetooth now, but she will read a "preview" of an email!! It's looking like Apple is finally putting a little work into Siri.

The bad news:

Siri is still slow and buggy as ever. I know, I know, it's only Beta 1, and I fully understand that, but it's really disappointing to use the Google search app and watch it scroll the words I'm saying across the screen instantaneously, then switch to Siri and watch a spinning circle for 10 seconds, and then have her respond, "I didn't quite get that." This is on a very strong Wifi connection, by the way.

Okay, Apple, it's time to step up and make Siri what it should have been in the beginning, or at the very least catch up with Google.

On second thought, why don't you just kiss and make up with Google and let them take over the voice assistant stuff.

I enjoy her new features.

I hope they speed her up by the time it's released publicly. It needs to be Google Voice Search fast....

hackjo

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
I did a head to head with a friend who was running the latest version of Android. Siri's recognition and flexibility blew it away. Having said that, my unit is accustomed to my voice quite well as I make regular use of Siri on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.