Siri 'Just Thrilled' About iOS 8, but Sad About Lack of Stage Time at WWDC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 8, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Developers running the beta version of iOS 8 can ask Siri for an opinion on the new operating system, prompting Apple's virtual assistant to provide one of several humorous responses. Siri's funny responses are limited to iOS 8 -- iOS 7 users who ask Siri about iOS 8 receive generic responses on Siri's like of Apple products.

Asking "Siri, do you like iOS 8?" will result in tongue-in-cheek answers that hint at new features in iOS 8 like "It's just swift," alluding to the company's newly introduced programming language.

[​IMG]
    Siri's answers also allude to new Apple's HomeKit home automation platform, which will allow Siri to control various connected devices such as Philips' line of Hue lights.
    The virtual assistant also pokes fun at the limited amount of time Apple spent going over new Siri features during its keynote event at the Worldwide Developers Conference.
    Siri has gained several major new features in iOS 8, including Shazam integration that allows the voice assistant to identify songs upon request, and the ability to open the App Store for the first time. Siri's also able to be activated hands-free with the voice command "Hey Siri," when plugged in, and it supports streaming voice recognition for real-time feedback on requests.

Apple has worked hard to improve Siri since its 2011 introduction alongside iOS 5, adding new capabilities and a never-ending stream of funny responses and quips to requests and queries. As of late, rumors have suggested that the company is planning to bring Siri development in-house, working to build a strong speech recognition team.

Apple seeded the third iOS 8 beta to developers yesterday, with plans to release the operating system to the public in the fall following an extended beta testing period.

Article Link: Siri 'Just Thrilled' About iOS 8, but Sad About Lack of Stage Time at WWDC

2. macrumors regular

joshwenke

I love Siri. The sense of humor really makes it fun to talk to. I remember getting my hands on the first iPhone with Siri... I never put it down!

3. macrumors 68020

SMIDG3T

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

6. macrumors regular

Lapidus

7. macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to use it, forget the competitors! :D

8. macrumors regular

Lapidus

You must be fun at parties.

9. macrumors 65816

iChrist

So... Siri can make witty remarks, but can rarely answer most questions?

Yay!

:rolleyes:

10. macrumors regular

See what happens when you call Siri, Jarvis. Its a dream come true. :cool:

11. macrumors 68000

1080p

Maybe you could start your own Apple News and Rumors blog. Then you could have it your way and decide what goes on the front page.

12. macrumors regular

perealb

Doesn't this make you feel bubbly, peachy and giggly?! /s

13. macrumors 6502

casperes1996

... **** yeass

Oh the endless stream of amazing jokes coming from Siri... <3 

14. macrumors G3

NT1440

The fact that the siri team took the time to code these responses, specifically the one about WWDC time, says to me that the actual release of iOS8 (along with the new phone) is probably going to have some changes introduced at the launch event. :)

15. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps the developers should be spending more time fixing the bugs then adding snarky answers to Siri :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Siri has always been a blast to talk to. Google now is more the useful personal assistant and less tongue in cheek.

17. macrumors 65816

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
  18. macrumors 65816

bpeeps

I just wish Siri could understand me. Or that I could use it to text and drive, without having to look at my phone to see if everything was understood and spelled correctly before it is sent. Maybe iOS in the car will be my answer.

19. macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Is this you?

[​IMG]

20. macrumors regular

thisisdallas

Because you were forced to read this and because a stagnant page with no updates is better than one with smaller articles to fill a slow news day in...

21. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

Actually, I'm. ;)

This is discussion right? If you start something, opinions will come....just like yours to mine.

22. macrumors 65816

At least he gets invited to parties.. ;)

23. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Yeah because Apple engineers can't multitask. :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 6502a

Google Voice pretty much smacks Siri. I can't think of a single way it's better.

25. macrumors 65816

For those that are running the iOS8 beta,
    What does Siri say when you ask her...

What happens at MacRumors on a slow news day?