Siri & My Bluetooth Enabled Car...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SamGabbay, Oct 15, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Is there anyway to activate Siri in my Bluetooth enabled car?

Is that even possible in any car?

I have an Infiniti G37X , if anyone has the same one and has successfully done so.

I love it and sp far it's been so useful. I drive a lot so I just wanted to know if anyone has yet to do such a feature.

Sam

2. macrumors 6502

Hello, I drive a g35x sedan (same body style as the G37)... if you activate siri from the phone, it will continue over the car bluetooth...

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Yes, I am aware of this. But is there any way to activate Siri on the steering wheel itself?

Thanks again,

Sam

4. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

See if your owner's manual has a method or a setting for enabling "Voice Dialing" from the phone. On my Parrot Bluetooth kit in my GMC, it's a setting in the menu to enable it (default is use the Parrot's built-in voice dialing). On the JVC Bluetooth in my Saturn, I press & hold the Bluetooth button for ~3sec to activate phone voice dial.

5. macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Not sure how this would be possible since Siri can only be activated by holding down the home button or putting the phone up to your ear.

6. macrumors 68020

False. It can also work by pressing and holding the talk button on a bluetooth headset. OP, is there an answer button on your car steering wheel? Try holding it down or something...

7. macrumors 6502

Have you tried holding the talk switch?

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Yes, I have tried two buttons on my steering wheel.

I have yet to try the "Phone" button on my dashboard.

Sam

9. macrumors 6502

Do you have any special voice commands feature turned on that would prevent activating voice commands from a button? In other words, can you simply say "Call" which activates the voice control on your phone?

10. macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Anyone here with a BMW? I'm having the same issue too. Holding down the talk button doesn't work. I have to hold the home button on my phone for it to work.

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors 6502a

Give me a break with that crap. You're here too.

13. macrumors 65816

14. macrumors 6502

Same here...

15. macrumors member

Confirmed. 2008 5 Series & 2007 Mini Cooper. Pushing the phone button just dials the last number if no incoming call is active. Holding does nothing.

I just drive with the phone plugged into the charger sitting on my center console anyway, so not a big deal. was using it a lot yesterday, very cool while driving. I'm in LA and in the car a LOT for business. The text and email features will see a lot of use for me.

16. macrumors member

derp.

This is the very definition of a first world problem. Anyway, so I can contribute to the thread, Siri is rockin' on my 2011 Kia Sorento.

17. macrumors 6502

derp right back at you. Pretty sure plenty of third world residents would love to own a kia sorrento or any object worth anywhere near to it, much less a smart phone with an internet connection.

18. macrumors member

I am quite positive they would rather have clean water, schools and a bountiful array of food.

19. macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Is this really what this thread is going to devolve into?

I have a Kia Soul, and I have to hold down the home button on the phone to get Siri to respond....tried all the buttons on the steering wheel and they don't work. Not really a surprise, though. Once Siri is activated, it works nicely with the bluetooth system over the speakers in the car. Unless it's raining, in which case text messages get so garbled they're funny. But again, not a surprise that happens.

20. macrumors regular

7timethecrystal

Siri works in Ford Sync. I do have to press the center button (none of the wheel controls work) but after that, it pipes through the car audio via bluetooth. She actually makes Ford Sync system useless. :)

21. macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Siri works great in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I do wish we could activiate it through the steering wheel though...oh well, its still more than functional as is.

22. macrumors member

I'm curious: how quickly does your car system switch over to Siri when you invoke it? If I am listening to music via bluetooth and invoke Siri it takes my system a couple of seconds to switch over to the bluetooth call profile so I a) miss what Siri is saying and b) the lag is quite annoying.

Are there any systems out there that switch between the various sources instantaneously?

23. macrumors 68020

Ronnoco

Siri works well in my 2008 Mercedes C300 with little to no lag-time...I can give commands through the car audio mic, everything runs through the car speakers. Works great except I have to manually push the home button on the iPhone 4S...:mad:

24. macrumors regular

UniPro

What "center" button are you referring to? I drive a 2011 Mustang and would love to use Siri without having to touch the phone.

25. macrumors 6502a

I have a 2011 Honda CR-Z and can't seem to figure anything yet. Haven't tried my mom's 09 Cadillac Escalade though, I wouldn't even know how to enable the Bluetooth in there...:confused: