Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Funny since you're the one who was quick to post a video comparing Google Now to Siri and not to Google Search.

Because that's a more accurate comparison. Google Now against Siri.

From the video, Google Now is less accurate and is about the same speed as Siri.

Original post compared Google app to Siri. Google app with voice search on the iPhone has been around since 2008. Google app voice recognition does ONE thing: voice search.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
But it doesn't though... That jk Rowling example I have two posts earlier is real..on the google app...I'm not making this stuff up
Download it yourself and try it..

I have the Google app since 2008. I have the latest version.

What does voice recognition on the Google app do besides voice search?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
My test between Siri and Google voice search. Ran the test 3 times. Getting much better results with Siri.

I say "iPad review on SlashGear"

Siri: "iPad review on SlashGear"
Google: "iPad review on slash care"

Siri got it right 3 times. Google got it right 1 time. Other 2 times are wrong.

I say "iPad mini review on SlashGear"

Siri: "iPad mini review on SlashGear"
Siri: "iPad miniview on SlashGear"
Google: "I pet mini review on slash care"
Google: "iPad miniview on slash care"

Siri got it right 2 times. Google got it right 1 time. Other 2 times are wrong.

I say "What's the weather like"
Both Siri and Google got it right 3 times
Both display the weather for my location.

I say "Directions to CVS"
Siri gave me directions. Google does a web search for websites.

I say "Is there a basketball game tonight"

Google displays the NBA games.
Siri ask "Men's League" or "Women's League". I select mens and it shows me college basketball games for the men's league.

I say "Is there a NBA game tonight"
Siri: "Is there a NBA game tonight"
Google: "Is there a NBA game tonight"
Google: "Mister a NBA game tonight"

Siri displays the NBA schedule. Google just searches the web for websites.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
I have the Google app since 2008. I have the latest version.

What does voice recognition on the Google app do besides voice search?

Try it out for yourself. Pretty much what Siri does, excluding all functions that access system functions. But that's to be expected on iOS.

Point is: Voice Actions is amazingly fast and accurate. On iOS (and in other languages than English, for that matter) it's functions are limited, yes. But on Android the experience is pretty much up to Siri's class, maybe even more innovative. Additionally, it's a good bit faster.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Try it out for yourself. Pretty much what Siri does, excluding all functions that access system functions. But that's to be expected on iOS.

The google app only does voice search.
Siri does voice commands including voice search.

----------

Here's a video actually comparing Google Search to Siri. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTRDSO82pk

Dude. How come Google voice search doesn't work right.

My test:

"Get directions to Empire State Building."

Google shows directions to Empire State Building.

"Get directions to CVS."

Google searches the web for "get directions to CVS".

"Get directions to starbucks"

Google searches the web for "get directions to Starbucks".

No, Google does not understand language well.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
If I read the title of this post two weeks ago, I'd have flamed the OP and defended Siri to the end... but now I've been using Google Search in the Google App for the past two weeks, I can't agree more.

• The speed of voice recognition is so much faster than Siri, every time.
  • It understands me 10000 times better (got a Yorkshire accent).
  • The UI is so much nicer (the white background with nice, thin, grey text
  • It translates into text as you're typing (I love this, even though it's not a necessity, it's still very very cool).

I can't image how good this is going to be on Android in 12 months time... and quite frankly, after spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on an iPhone, I don't want to imagine.

Why can't Apple open up Siri to other developers such as Google? Half of the things I say to Siri just end up with "I can't find any information on xyz, would you like me to do a web search?"... which requires me to click the ugly "Search the web" button, unlock my phone, and then wait for safari to load the page. Why can't all this just be done in Siri?!?!

Apple, you really need to pull your head out of your ass because there are just some things people do better than you. Stop being so pig headed and let other developers do things on your phone.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Why can't Apple open up Siri to other developers such as Google? Half of the things I say to Siri just end up with "I can't find any information on xyz, would you like me to do a web search?"... which requires me to click the ugly "Search the web" button, unlock my phone, and then wait for safari to load the page. Why can't all this just be done in Siri?!?!

Because Google app only does voice searches.
Siri does voice commands which includes voice searches.

If you want to search the web, you tell Siri to "search the web for ..."

You tell Siri commands.
You tell Google what to search the internet for.

Google app does only ONE thing. Search the internet for information.

That is why you don't have to say "search the web for... " on Google app.

Example (underline text is the commands):

Siri:
"search the web for songs by Linkin Park" - searches the web
"play songs by Linkin Park" - plays songs by linkin park using your music app
"remind me to get songs by Link Park" - remind me in my calendar app

Google:
"play songs by Linkin Park" - searches the web
"remind me to get songs by Link Park" - searches the web

Google app doesn't understand commands. It only does voice searches for information on the internet.
Siri understands commands. Does more than just voice searches for information on the internet.

Last edited:

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Apple, you really need to pull your head out of your ass because there are just some things people do better than you. Stop being so pig headed and let other developers do things on your phone.

Because that would turn iOS into Android. A big mess of an OS meant to please everyone with eye candy and useless, poorly programmed, applications half the population will never use. iOS is what it is because of the Apple's "pigheadedness". It's a stable OS that does what it's supposed to do. Siri has been more than convenient on my wife's iPhone. And much more stable that Google's search application. To each his own I suppose.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
You can't compare Google Now to Siri. Google Now is much more than a voice assistant. Google now gives you information before you ask for, and keeps you updated about all the important stuff and stuff you're interested in without you having to ask about. Traffic times to work, to home, weather, your favorite sports team scores, tickets, public transportation , your walking distance, all without asking. It isn't fair to compare that much stuff to Siri.

Likewise that you can't compare the Google Search app on IOS to the built in SiRi that has full capabilities given to it by Apple.

Siri is good by all means. However Google is just on a whole new level.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012

Google app doesn't understand commands. It only does voice searches for information on the internet.
Siri understands commands. Does more than just voice searches for information on the internet.

You have absolutely no clue.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
You can't compare Google Now to Siri. Google Now is much more than a voice assistant. Google now gives you information before you ask for, and keeps you updated about all the important stuff and stuff you're interested in without you having to ask about. Traffic times to work, to home, weather, your favorite sports team scores, tickets, public transportation , your walking distance, all without asking. It isn't fair to compare that much stuff to Siri.

Likewise that you can't compare the Google Search app on IOS to the built in SiRi that has full capabilities given to it by Apple.

Siri is good by all means. However Google is just on a whole new level.

Yes. Comparing Google search app to Siri isn't a fair comparison. Not a 1 to 1 comparison.

Better to compare Google Now on Android with Siri. Google Now on Android does voice commands. Google app on iPhone only does voice searches for information on the internet.

----------

I have both an Android and iOS device.

Google app on the iPhone only does voice searches for information on the internet.

Google Now understands more voice commands.

Google app on iPhone: web search

Google Now on Android: web search, listen to, navigate to, send email, set alarm, map of, note to self, directions to

Google app on the iPhone is fast because all it does is web search with a built-in web browser. Of course is fast.

Difference between Siri and Google app on iPhone

Siri:

Google app:

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Google app on the iPhone is fast because all it does is web search with a built-in web browser. Of course is fast.

Before ANY commands or searches are activated, the very first thing that either Google Search or Siri have to do is convert your voice to text.

On that part alone, Google outperforms Siri by a large margin. It is MUCH quicker as it dictates virtually on the fly with visible live updating.

Whatever happens next doesn't matter because NOTHING can happen without that happening first.

At the bare basics, Google Search easily wins.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Wow. I'm surprise how bad Google understands natural language.

Google has been in the search engine business for close to 20 years.

Did a few more test on google app.

I want to see if Google understands "Get directions to" when doing a search for information.

"Get directions to CVS" - does a web search. FAILED
"Get directions to Starbucks" - does a web search. FAILED
"Get directions to McDonald's" - Shows map with directions. SUCCESS
"Get directions to downtown" - does a web search. FAILED
"Get directions to downtown LA" - Shows map with directions. SUCCESS
"Get directions to the closest airport" - does a web search. FAILED
"Get directions to LAX" - Shows map with directions. SUCCESS
"Get directions to the closest gas station" - does a web search. FAILED

----------

On that part alone, Google outperforms Siri by a large margin. It is MUCH quicker as it dictates virtually on the fly with visible live updating.

That was the part I was impressed with. ;)

nordicappeal

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Never used Siri

I've never used Siri. And Im so sorry that apple used this on these small toy apps when they should upgrade the MacPro line or at least make iMacs available - its insane you can not get a proper mac at the moment!

Will apple turn into an iPhone/tablet company. They have done so much for the computer world but they seem to have lost it!?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
More test.

Just basic science facts about water boiling point and freezing point using natural language.

Siri:

Shows the data for all of the below questions.

"What's the water boiling point" - SUCCESS
"What's the boiling point of water" - SUCCESS
"What temperature does water boil" - SUCCESS
"What's the water freezing point" - SUCCESS
"What's the freezing point of water" - SUCCESS
"What temperature does water freeze" - SUCCESS
"At what temperature does water freeze" - SUCCESS

Google:
"What's the water boiling point" - SUCCESS
"What's the boiling point of water" - SUCCESS
"What temperature does water boil" - SUCCESS
"What's the water freezing point" - FAILED, web search
"What's the freezing point of water" - FAILED, web search
"What temperature does water freeze" - FAILED, web search
"At what temperature does water freeze" - FAILED, web search

Um.. google knows the boiling point, but not the freezing point of water? I don't know how to get Google to tell me at what temperature water freezes.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple should have swallowed their pride and held back on their Google vendetta.

Removing the potential partnership of Google software from the equation was one of their biggest mistakes.

Here's hoping that burning their bridges forces Apple to innovate faster because they now have no recourse. Imagine the humiliation if they stopped support for Siri and decided to restore google maps in IOS7. :eek:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
More test. Movie showings for sky fall.

Siri:

Find movie showings for Skyfall - SUCCESS, shows listing
Where is Skyfall playing - SUCCESS, shows listing
What movie theaters are showing Skyfall - SUCCESS, shows listing

Google:
Find movie showings for Skyfall - FAILED, web search
Where is Skyfall playing - SUCCESS, shows listing
What movie theaters are showing Skyfall - FAILED, web search

Siri had no problems with the world "sky fall". Google keeps changing sky fall to sky phone, skype phone, skype iPhone, or variations of it.

Google had bad voice to text:

Find movie showings for Skyfall => Find movie showings for Skype iPhone, Find movie showings for sky phone

Last edited:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Although I am impressed with the voice to text speed on the google app, I'm quite disappointing with Google's understanding of natural language. Worst than I anticipated of Google after I've done some test between Siri and Google voice search.

Apple has only been working on Siri for a few years and understands natural language much better than Google search. Google has been at it for almost 20 years.

Google really has something to worry about. Once Apple ramps up their data centers to increase speed, Google is in big trouble.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Although I am impressed with the voice to text speed on the google app, I'm quite disappointing with Google's understanding of natural language. Worst than I anticipated of Google after I've done some test between Siri and Google voice search.

While many here seem to be praising Google's way of searching each word instead of Siri's method using the entire sentence, that also seems to be Google's problem. I've read that searching each word individually slows and eventually confuses the system, especially when the accent of each word does not jive with the system. Sounds to me that Apple's way is better in the end. And again, Google is looking for the short, more impressive route that ends up causing more of a mess.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The only downside to Google Voice when using it in the UK with UK English as the language setting is that you don't get voice feedback. That option only applies to US English, which sadly doesn't understand UK accents very well.

The UK English setting does understand a Glasgow accent far better than Siri though.

Jrh1194

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
Charleston, SC
Siri is far from perfect, no doubt. As far as Google, it works pretty well but is limited in function as compared to Siri. There will always be people who claim that Google is better than Apple.....That is why there are Android phones available.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Because Google app only does voice searches.
Siri does voice commands which includes voice searches.

If you want to search the web, you tell Siri to "search the web for ..."

You tell Siri commands.
You tell Google what to search the internet for.

Google app does only ONE thing. Search the internet for information.

That is why you don't have to say "search the web for... " on Google app.

Example (underline text is the commands):

Siri:

Google:

Typical Apple apologist.

I'm well aware that Google Search doesn't understand commands. What I'm saying is, they should integrate it into Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.