Siri to work offline ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aduteau, Oct 14, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

So for the people playing around with Siri,
    Can Siri actually do anything without Wi-Fi or 3G data connection ?
    Do make a reminder, play music, or Calendar events ... does it really need a data connection ???

thanks guys

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

Okkk so no one has tested if Siri works without a network connection for basic tasks such as calendar editing, telling it to play music, doing reminders .. ??

3. macrumors 6502a

emir

i too wanna know

4. macrumors regular

why does it require data in the first place? i dont understand why it needs data connection anyway..

5. macrumors 603

Siri doesn't work offline.

6. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

In needs data because it sends your request to a server which computes your action and thereafter will send back the response to the phone to carry out the action.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow ... So If I drive my car up to an other country and dont have a 3G connection in the other country ... Siri becomes offline and no way to use it ??

Sounds like a useless feature to me if you need it always online in order for it to work

8. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well as of right now you wouldn't have a use for it outside the states (especially for travel). But yes, you require 3G or wifi for it to do anything.

9. macrumors regular

You mean useless like Google, email, weather, texting, etc? I would prepare for more connected-based experiences as cloud and web services grow and local app gating only fades as users depend on these devices even more.

10. macrumors regular

Nice. That's exactly how I feel. I've heard a few complain about siri's connectivity but say nothing of just about every other feature on a mobile phone that requires a connection. Either use the data or carry around a super computer and siri will work. Apple chose the former over the latter.

11. macrumors 601

sammich

Yes, Siri sends some form of your audio (or possibly just the text of what you've spoken) to a server which uses a database to figure out the meaning behind your words. The benefit of using a central database/server means that the system can improve by using all this data to refine the way it understands you.

Really? So looking up directions is the ONLY thing that Siri does?

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

True ... And we end up paying even more for new data intensive packages from our carrier, boy ... The carriers most be so happy about the Cloud thing taking off

13. macrumors regular

If you are in another country directions and Yelp related requests would be wry useful. Of course other Siri functions would be necessary but primarily the two to get around comfortably.

14. macrumors 603

thelatinist

Unfortunately, because of this my phone can't even do the basic voice commands my 3GS could do in no-signal areas. It's frustrating.

15. macrumors regular

Well it is still beta. Maybe Apple will change that and allow parts of Siri (like the original voice control features and also dictation) to work offline.

16. macrumors 68020

You can turn off Siri and fall back to basic voice commands.