Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaytdub

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
After going through a bunch of videos on youtube, it seems like everyones has sounded like mine does now. I am just confused why mine is JUST NOW changing when apperantly everyone else got theirs that way lol. In any case, I like the way it sounds now.

The reason I noticed the change so distinctly is that I spent all last night showing the phone off at work. And then literally when I got home and tried to set an alarm to wake up to, she sounded different. Its much better now though

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Mine has changed also. I had the voice from the Apple promo video, but now it's softer and less robotic.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
My voice sounds just like this now. I wonder why it changed. It use to have the original 'voice'.
I think we'll see Siri's voice changing quite a few times. I spent the first 6 years of my career in AI research. Many (but by no means all) people realise that recognising speech (i.e. voice to text conversion) is a very difficult thing to do but far fewer people realise just how difficult it is to do the reverse, i.e. generate natural sounding speech from a text input. It is a really difficult problem because there are so many subtle changes in intonation (and other things) that depend on the actual meaning of the text being spoken. One of the first things that struck me from watching all the Siri demo videos was that the voice was a bit too robotic for my liking.

I would expect Siri's voice generation module to be something that is under constant development although I imagine that once Siri comes out of beta then Apple will only push out changes occassionally so as not to confuse people (possibly to coincide with the iOS release cycle). Also, there might come a time when Apple don't want to make it any more natural sounding so that there is still some hint that Siri is not human so that it doesn't unnerve people and so that users remember that it has limitations in it's functionality because it is just a computer program.

- Julian

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
As Siri evolves I have no doubt her voice may change, but I can not detect any change what so ever.

As we ALL know Siri was down yesterday for a good while. I am sure it is only the first of many upgrades we will see in the months ahead of us.

It would be nice if Apple kept us up to date with Siri and her evolution, but that is not what Apple would normally do.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
The nrew voice is similar to the Australian voice - smoother and less robotic, but only slightly. She still cant say my daughters name though lol

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
She still cant say my daughters name though lol
That sort of thing could get annoying if, even after a couple of years of use, Siri stilll doesn't pronounce the names correctly for people that you talk to it about every day.

It would be nice if there was some way to tell Siri how to pronounce unusual names properly. Maybe one day Apple will introduce something that tries to work out the pronunciation by listening how you say a name in your contact book and updating its output accordingly. Yet another of thousands of enhancements that's probably on Apple's to-do list.

Maybe this is the time to establish a nickname for your daughter, just make sure that you run it through Siri first so that you know that it can pronounce it. Your daughter might not be impressed though, especially if you come up with something like "snuggles" and she's 17 or similar :) .

- Julian

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
Did you try asking her if maybe she's going through a hard time because of the shutdown earlier? That may have been a very emotional time for her...

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Your daughter might not be impressed though, especially if you come up with something like "snuggles" and she's 17 or similar :) .

Neither of my kids are called by their names at home, so to get around the issue I just added her nickname "Boofie" and it worked. Even saying her name the way Siri attempts it I cant call her. Juanita is pronounced Wah-nee-tar here, but Siri says Jew-wan-eye-ta, and try saying that back to Siri and see what weird and wonderful words you get back... "Sorry I cant find Ewan Eita in your contacts lists"

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I too can notice a subtle change in the voice, as previously mentioned more fluid and less robotic sounding than before.

sirkackletree

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
Michigan
The voice on my siri also changed earlier around 2am. Went to ask what the temp outside was and got what i can only describe as a more scattered version of her robotic voice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.