Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
If they could figure out a way to talk to Siri without having to hold the home button down first, I'd be sold.

Imagine if the iPhone was always listening in the background for a certain phrase that you could set up? It would be awesome if you could have Siri set up to listen for when you say "Hey Siri!". The phone would then wake up when it heard that, and ask you what you wanted.

That would have been super awesome.

I was so just thinking this like if you were in the shower. You could be like Hey siri text so and so running late. Would be awesome. Without pushing anything.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
This is literally the definition of a gimmick, it will be interesting for about the first 5 minutes, then you will go back to doing things the way you did before because it is much quicker.

If this actually works as advertised, many things will be much quicker now than the way you did before.

Please :apple:, stock drop well deserved.

AAPL bounced right back almost to where it started by the end of the day. :p

Consumers don't care about jiggahertzes and 6" phone screens. The iPhone 4S will sell like gangbusters and AAPL will continue to rise.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Rumors were not impossible, they are the industry standard, most Phone out there got those features, taking this long for a small bump in Spec is a slap in the face. The greatest feature is Siri which it wasn't even an Apple product they just acquired it no long ago and it is software based.

For once I am happy to see that there is windows for other companies to take advantage and take the lead on the industry, this way my dependency on iOS will decrease.

Really? Your saying it was completely possible to take the thinnest smartphone and make it even thinner while at the same time tapering the bottom? Yeah right.

Apple kept to the industry standard and upped it with Siri integration.

Virance

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I really, really hope I can communicate with Siri through my cars bluetooth (2012 Mustang with Ford Sync).

As long as you can use any bluetooth headset with it, I should be golden.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Siri in the Iphone 4S requires the Apple A5 chip and the 1 GB of ram. Its part of the OS on the new Iphone 4S.

Get over it...sell you old Iphone and get the Iphone 4S. Why is that so hard?

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is exciting, but only on s? Wtf, seriously? What about the iTouch, iPad, MacBook / Lion? They all have a mic, don't they?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Siri.. A letter to john:

Hi John, I was thinking about what we talked about last night.
Ummm,
No, delete the work Ummm.
Ok, where was I?

No Delete the phrase "Ok, where was I"

So John, yes I would like to meet with you tomorrow.

Yes, dear I'd like a cup of coffee thanks.

DAM....!

Delete the phrase "yes dear I'd like a cop of coffee thanks"

djepsilon

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Calgary, AB
I really, really hope I can communicate with Siri through my cars bluetooth (2012 Mustang with Ford Sync).

As long as you can use any bluetooth headset with it, I should be golden.

Does voice control work with it currently? If not, then I think you might have your answer unfortunately.

Mattdsm

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011
it makes me angry that they throw that in and only on the 4s so that its worth upgrading because honestly nothing else is. either way I'm sure it'll be jailbroken somehow and ill do that for once I'm unimpressed with the upgrade

It requires a faster processor (A5) as it will not run properly on the (A4). There was an article with the makers of Siri explaining that the biggest roadblock in the past was having a phone that could actually run it. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise considering how strict Apple is on the user experience...

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
Seems like a pretty cool phone. Probably still going to switch to Android though. Getting tired of the closed Apple ecosystem.

Mrcapone

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
So Apple annonced Siri in German too. Strange thing i just noticed is the Austrian Apple Website http://apple.at does not mention Siri at all. The German Apple Website does. I am wondering if Apple is not aware that people in Austria and Switzerland also speak German, or is siri really limited to some countries?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Will Siri disappear from iPhone 4?

Will Siri disappear from the iPhone 4?

Opened Siri after the Apple event...it stated that it is moving to the iPhone 4S in Oct.

I really hope it stays on my iPhone 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked it ' do i need an umbrella today' and it replied, that there was a 50/50 chance of rain today, and gave more details.

Apple don't remove it and force the 4S upgrade for me yet!!!!!!!!!!!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
They don't even list the secondary mic at the top for noise cancellation in the tech specs anymore. =(

That was my favourite feature of iPhone 4. It's still there, but no one cares about it now. It makes me sad. :(

It's prominently featured on Apple's iPhone pages.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

0x000000 said:
This is siriously underwhelming. They didn't even bother renaming it! What have they been doing all those months? The stock is plummeting and all I can say is: well deserved.

Dont be jealous that the 4s is a better conservationalist than you.

Beefnoodle

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; ru-ru) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is exciting, but only on s? Wtf, seriously? What about the iTouch, iPad, MacBook / Lion? They all have a mic, don't they?

My guess, "tech refreshes" for future Apple products. Its a cheap/easy way to introduce "new" features without having to spend R&D money.

:cool:

cjoy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
So Apple annonced Siri in German too. Strange thing i just noticed is the Austrian Apple Website http://apple.at does not mention Siri at all. The German Apple Website does. I am wondering if Apple is not aware that people in Austria and Switzerland also speak German, or is siri really limited to some countries?

think scottish highlands and oxford english...
when it comes to voice recognition, austrian and swiss accents can be languages of their own.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dont be jealous that the 4s is a better conservationalist than you.

Hahaha.

Also... I'm quite sure Apple hasn't been working only on the iPhone 4S all this time. What have they been doing all these months? They probably had the hardware design team spend as little time on the 4S design as they could so that they could R&D an awesome iPhone design for next year.

I'm sure it takes time to design it, then build a prototype, and then repeat the process for not only 1 design but probably a few.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
As so-so as this announcement is in terms of other features, this is actually pretty cool. It brought a "wow, that's awesome" smile to my face when I saw the video.

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Well I had Siri on my 3GS...

And now it's telling me that it's going away on October 15. So the free app (which was in the itunes Store this morning) that was working fairly well on older iPhones will now self-destruct so nobody can use it without upgrading to the 4S.

Yup, I'm pissed. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.