Sirius Satellite OR CD player/FM?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheDance511, Mar 1, 2007.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Hey all.... I am looking to get something new for my car audio as it is horrible... ( I still have the 1990 cassete player in my Volvo) haha... I have been ocnsidering Satellite radio as ih ave ehard it is really good... I dont really HAVE to play cd's as i hate them because i have to find them and put them in the cd player and its just annoying to me... but my question is with satellite does the radio go in the dash like any other radio would??? Is there something i didnt mention..If anyone has Satellite radio and has any suggestions please let me know..

P.S.
    I do liek the fact that with satellite it uncensored:apple:

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Every Sat radio I have seen is part of a headunit with FM and CD as well. Usually the Sat radio is an add on.....I dont think you can get an indash sat radio with out FM/CD

3. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh see i had not idea.Thanks.

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I have a built in Sirius in my Truck. It's OK, I find that I can flip through and still not find anything worth listening to, but the lack of commercials is really nice. They have a bunch of different formats, some things like Heavy Metal, Alternative and Punk which you don't normally find on the regular stations.

I think its great for long trips and places that don't have a lot of choice on the air. You don't have to constantly search for music. It has a bunch of other stuff as well, espn, howard stern, a few other talk radio formats.

If your a family person, be aware that there is profanity on some of the stations.

Overall, I like it. If they go to a commercial format (which has been rumored over the last 6 months), I wouldn't see the value in it anymore. They would have to practically give it away for me to subscribe.

5. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I tried satellite radio for about 2 months and it has to be one of the worst buys of my life! First off, I can't find much worth listining too. You have a monthly bill, and the siginal will go out in the most random places. Your much better off getting a car radio with an IPOD adaptor. I did that in my chevy truck and I have had good luck with it. I can choose that music and podcasts I want to listen too. And BTW, its only a matter of time before satellite radio has comercials on it. They said the same comercial free thing when cable and satellite TV cane out. Now look at it. Again, your much better off using an ipod.

6. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

is it actually in your dash where your stock radio came?

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Sirius is between good and ok. Sometimes the music is great and other times its just boring and i switch to FM. Whats nice is the cable news feeds and howard stern.

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My dad has it in his car. He only listens to it when there is nothing else on music wise. He says they repeat like the same 25 songs over and over again. It does have BBC News and others which are interesting.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have XM and i have like an add on... it attaches to your dash or somewhere else. WHat i like about is that if i have my mom in the car i put on the 60's station but it has the hockey. I think you can listen to some of the programing online i think to see if its what you like.
    The quality is decent. Mine works off a FM transmitter so it sounds decent. Luckly i found a station in my area that it works well with. You might want to get it hard wired so it sound "digital". I know the sony and other's make head units with XM installed.

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

My factory radio has sirius built in.

My father has a small head unit that can be transported between his cars and his home stereo. You can buy a package with the head unit and the car / stereo adapters from either ebay or the local car audio shop.

11. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

I vote iPod adapter

Instead of $10/month for satellite, buy a new CD every month.
    You can use the cassette adapter or one of the FM adapters to connect.
    I have one of these and the sound quality is really good.
    [​IMG]

There are several of them available @crutchfield

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I love Sirius. I have a Kenwood HU and Sirius connected to it so I control Sirius via the HU. It's great. I almost never lose a signal (except for when I go under a bridge). I can't stand FM anymore (I do use AM for local news). I mostly listen to classic rock and Sirius has like 6 or 7 stations dedicated to the it. I rarely hear the same song more than once or twice a week. If you have the cash, the lifetime membership is worth it.

Also, Sirius usually gives away 2 day internet memberships to their streaming music. You can check out the music stations and see if they play music you like.

I do have one of those iPods connecters that hooks up to my HU. They are pretty cool too (if you have enough songs so you don't get bored).

13. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

well all thank you ... i think i know what to do now.... i am very excited :cool:

14. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

This oughta do it... :)

Attached Files: