Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vassillios

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2005
Virginia
The Sirius/XM app would be the same way. If the phone is having trouble getting the 3G or any signal, this will happen.

Nope....I have FULL bars. When I was beta testing the nicemac app, I only had drop outs when moving from wifi to 3G or NO service was available

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
Pandora= No Opie And Anthony.

CBS Radio = No Dopey and Antnee
92.3 Free FM = No Dopey and Antnee

Howard let it slip that only around 200,000 people on average are listening to those two dopes on SiriusXM. Way to bring in subscribers!

Seriously these two are going to be podcasting shortly...

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
I'm glad to have the app but I'm shocked there is no Howard.

The Bacteria does show up (I have Best of XM).

I can only hope AT&T is afraid of all the traffic Howard would generate and are waiting to see how the app does with everything else during a trial period. Same reason Sling Player is crippled from 3G.

ghoststan

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
the operator from india said that you need to be a premium subscriber to get howard doing the trial the channel wont be there anyone try it as a premium sub?

ghoststan

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
i email and call them this is what i got..
Some select programming, including MLB® Play-by-Play, NFL Play-by-Play, SIRIUS NASCAR® Radio, and Howard Stern, will not be available on the iPhone and iPod touch. Listeners will continue to be able to access that programming through the platforms they are currently offered on.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
This could be a great way for Sirius/XM to use the accessories API...They can have Sirius XM on the go with the choice of direct SAT connection or IP connection.

They could have an accessory that allows one to use iPhone as an actual in car Sirius Radio. Since the iPhone is not bound by buttons, they could give it the same DVR like functionality as Starmate 5. I would buy that app in a heartbeat (along with the attachment).

Then when I am at home and don't have access to a direct SAT connection, I could use my WiFi to connect to Sirius Online using an IP connection.
Of course just like the radios, they could have an in-home dock that one could use to connect via Satellite.

Finally the kicker would be that if the user was listening via Satellite and the connection was lost, the app optionally would seamlessly switch to the IP connection.

lfine39

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
I waited for this app for 2 years now. Finally its here and No Howard UNBELIEVABLE!!!! The only reason I have Sirius is because of HS. I can't believe Howard has anything to do with this, I do not think he would screw his fans I believe it is all SIRIUS screw them..........

cbdudek

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
CBS Radio = No Dopey and Antnee
92.3 Free FM = No Dopey and Antnee

Howard let it slip that only around 200,000 people on average are listening to those two dopes on SiriusXM. Way to bring in subscribers!

Seriously these two are going to be podcasting shortly...

I am no fanboy of either of these people, and its obvious you are speaking from ignorance and bias. Both of these personalities have been on the air for a long time for a reason. They are entertaining to some people. To say one side or the other sucks or will be podcasting soon is a statement made from ignorance or bias. Nothing more.

Be.Jammmin

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
i email and call them this is what i got..
Some select programming, including MLB® Play-by-Play, NFL Play-by-Play, SIRIUS NASCAR® Radio, and Howard Stern, will not be available on the iPhone and iPod touch. Listeners will continue to be able to access that programming through the platforms they are currently offered on.

That logic from the customer service rep makes no sense, because while I can't listen to those sports broadcasts via Sirius's Website, I can still listen to Howard. It sounds like a bunch of excuses.

Oh well, at least I still have orb.

B

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
i just looked over the content again, and they have O&A available but no HOWARD, WTF does that mean???? very strange

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Where the heck is the artwork?

Anyone familiar with the nicemac app? Is this their app that Sirius/XM pulled out from underneath them? This app seems to be very basic in comparison to what the folks at nicemac were putting together.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
LOL Oprah is on it. Not Howard.

The only hope is that Howard is going to have an app he charges for his content to make him the money.

wlmowery

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I love all these people who think Sirius/XM purposefully left off their favorite channels (Howard, NFL/MLB Audio broadcasts). You don't think Sirius wants to include them to increase their listener base?

The answer is very simple, and has been pointed out numerous times. Sirius/XM does not have the LEGAL right to offer these channels under the terms of their contracts with Howard or the NFL or MLB. Music/performance rights, like most copyright use agreements, are highly specific on the MEDIUM through which you may use the rights you are licensing. It appears that when Sirius signed up Howard, Howard did not authorize Sirius to provide his content on mobile phones. The Starplayr and Pocket Radio examples are different as both were essentially simple extensions of the web streaming by THIRD parties. NOT BY SIRIUS.

So get a grip. If you want Howard on the iPhone app, push Howard to license those performance rights to Sirius. You'll never get MLB or NFL to license live play-by-play as both will have their own apps to do so (MLB already does).

(And yes, I have professional experience in this setting....)

wlmowery

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I waited for this app for 2 years now. Finally its here and No Howard UNBELIEVABLE!!!! The only reason I have Sirius is because of HS. I can't believe Howard has anything to do with this, I do not think he would screw his fans I believe it is all SIRIUS screw them..........

See above. It most definately is a result of the terms of the contract between Howard and Sirius. (Same reason for NFL and MLB play-by-play rights).

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
What's the point?!

SiriusXM sucks. Anyone with half an eardrum would notice how tinny, dull, flat, and horrible the audio quality is. To add to that, they dropped a lot of their great stations during the merger. I know some of you will laugh, but let's see, disco. Tell me WHERE on the radio you can find a station playing disco? NOPE! So XM and Sirius BOTH had their own disco channels before the merger, and then after, they dropped BOTH disco stations. One of the reasons people pay a premium for sat radio is because they can get music there that's not found on the radio. Way to go idiots...

Anyway, between Pandora, Nullriver Tuner, Last.FM, and some of the other apps on my iPhone, I will NEVER PAY for a subscription to SiriusXM ever again.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
I am no fanboy of either of these people, and its obvious you are speaking from ignorance and bias. Both of these personalities have been on the air for a long time for a reason. They are entertaining to some people. To say one side or the other sucks or will be podcasting soon is a statement made from ignorance or bias. Nothing more.

Quite the contrary. My opinion is educated and I cite as evidence that O&A are a sinking ship:

- In one of the biggest boneheaded moves ever, O&A sign up with XM pre-merger (presumably to be to XM what HS was to Sirius, but more because they were radioactive after getting fired by WNEW), then proceed to sign a deal with CBS radio air part of the show censored and for free. So why exactly would I buy XM to listen to what I can get for free?

- Even when they were available for free on CBS radio (Free FM), O&A had such abysmal ratings in some markets (such as Las Vegas and Chicago where they registered a 0.0) as to be laughably horrid and were rapidly being dropped by individual stations.

- When CBS abandoned their Free FM format, O&A went out with the bathwater. If they were such ratings juggernauts CBS would have retained them for some or all of their stations.

- In New York City 92.3 Free FM (WXRK) O&A actually racked up worse ratings than the ill-fated David Lee Roth morning show that preceded it.

- Sirius knows exactly how many people are listening to each channel. There is no Arbitron mystery like there is with terrestrial radio, they know exactly what everybody is listening to. Granted HS is a biased source, but in one rant complaining about Sirius and XM overpaying for talent (not just O&A, but Oprah, Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx, Eminem, etc.) he spit out that O&A average 200,000 subscribers tuning in per week.

So, I've given you facts, mostly objective. O&A are losers, CBS hung their hats on them and failed. XM hung their hats on them and they're bringing in 200,000 subscribers. What have you given other than FUD and your own ignorance? O&A's slope is heading downwards quickly. If SiriusXM gets rid of them, then what? They've worn out their welcome in the broadcast and satellite worlds, that's why I said, only half-jokingly, that they'll be podcasting next. Some radio talent (including Howard) is actually considering bypassing terrestrial and satellite altogether and just going for internet-based broadcasting. That may also be why Howard vetoed his stations from the iPhone app.

k37udu.jpg

I'm not a big fan of theirs (I did listen a bit back in the WNEW days but preferred Don & Mike), I listen to them a bit now. I know all about the history of both shows, being as I've listened to both for years and being in their home broadcast markets. I know O&A broadcasted from Howard's old studio at K-Rock, I know Anthony was on Howard's show doing Jackie impressions in the early 90s in a listener contest.

jasincity

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Summerlin--Las Vegas, NV
Tell me WHERE on the radio you can find a station playing disco? NOPE! So XM and Sirius BOTH had their own disco channels before the merger, and then after, they dropped BOTH disco stations. One of the reasons people pay a premium for sat radio is because they can get music there that's not found on the radio. Way to go idiots...

Anyway, between Pandora, Nullriver Tuner, Last.FM, and some of the other apps on my iPhone, I will NEVER PAY for a subscription to SiriusXM ever again.

Actually disco is still on Sirius/XM--they brought it back several months ago--channel 81 for Sirius tuners.

Gakusei

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Granted HS is a biased source, but in one rant complaining about Sirius and XM overpaying for talent (not just O&A, but Oprah, Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx, Eminem, etc.) he spit out that O&A average 200,000 subscribers tuning in per week.
I'm willing to bet that XM paid less per subscriber for O&A than Sirius did for Howard :p. Seriously, though, SXM has no idea how many people are listening at any one time. The technology is for reception only, same as DirecTV/DISH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.