Sirius XM to Release iPhone Accessory Receiver Next Week?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 20, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Satwaves reports that satellite radio company Sirius XM will be releasing a dock connector accessory receiver for the iPhone and iPod touch at a media event next Wednesday, allowing access full Sirius XM service via their devices.
    Satwaves points to a posting at XMFan showing a diagram of the accessory, which will reportedly be called the "XM SkyDock".
    [​IMG]

The XM SkyDock accessory will reportedly utilize the Sirius XM Premium Online iPhone application initially released in June as an interface for the satellite service.

Article Link: Sirius XM to Release iPhone Accessory Receiver Next Week?

2. macrumors 6502

Balty

3. macrumors 68020

Rayfire

This does sound promising, accessories made for the iPhone is getting bigger and bigger.

4. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

5. macrumors member

Interesting. I still think their subscription fees are too high though.

6. macrumors 6502

useless if they dont enable Howard Stern and other channels blocked on their app.

7. macrumors member

butchseaman

I dropped my sirius account because they wanted an additional $2.99 a year when i had 3 different accounts. That was just getting too much ....:mad:

8. macrumors regular

Wait... 100 dollars plus 9.99 a month so I can have commercial free music when I could just load up my iPod/iPhone with whatever music I want?

Enjoy bankruptcy. No jokes, I'm being sirius.

9. macrumors regular

Rychiar

im failing to see the point here. can't ya just listen to it all via 3G right now without the reception hassle of a satellite receiver?:confused:

10. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Read the first post again, it says it will allow FULL accsess to all the Sirius/XM channels. Right now not all the channels are available on the Sirius/XM app.

11. macrumors 68020

All I can say is I would surely not invest in this company or its ideas! :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 68000

steve knight

I could see it if it was portable. but if it is only for home or car use why over a stand alone radio?

13. macrumors regular

14. macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

The Pocket Tunes app for iPhone already has SiriusXM AND Howard. I love it.

15. macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

I'll laugh when this accessory ships before TomTom's...:p

16. macrumors newbie

Use Sirius Sat for Free Telephone calls

If I'm able to connect my Iphone to a Sirius Sat., (using the new Skydock), then I'm only a heart beat away from being able to search the "Web" using that same Sirius Sat.
    Let's go one step further......If I can use my Iphone to search the "Web", (using the Sirius Sat.), then I can use it for VoIP.

NO MORE AT&T.
    I'll save $100 a month on phone charges!!
    My first phone call will be to cancel my account with AT&T

17. macrumors 68040

Ummm. But that antennae is ONE WAY, so you would need to phone up your request, then get it down.... very slight chance of that EVER happening, and not cheaper than AT&T (have you ever priced HUghes Net sat internet?). Now, they might be able to add a feed of their website pretty easy.

What ever happened to Sat TV thru them? Is that still going on? Now that, i could be pretty darn excited to get portable.

But, i like the concept of this....

18. macrumors 65816

Not happenin.Ever.

19. macrumors 6502

CaryMacGuy

In order for me to consider buying it, the following would need to happen...
    1. Release new software that gives it the play/pause skip forward and backward functionality.
    2. Make it so when Satellite signal fades (in a tunnel, garage, under trees) it will automatically switch to a cell signal.

20. macrumors member

Why would you think Howard Stern wouldn't be on this? It turns your iphone into a regular SXM receiver.

I can't see many people buying this. Most people have SXM in their car and most people who use it portable listen through the data network without fussing with accessory addons. They should just improve their online app. The music quality total blows at 32K.

21. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This loyalty to Howard Stern is amazing. However, if he isn't on it now how would this accessory suddenly bring him to the iPhone app?

I agree. I have no use for this as I have it in my car already, but that is a good idea.

22. macrumors 6502

this is just their way of getting you to buy their hardware in order to enjoy their full channel lineup....they could easily include Howard and the excluded sports channels on the iPhone app....so they make you buy something extra to get those, so they profit off it. well i dont even touch my stilleto anymore...i listen to Stern through StarPlayr and download the shows i miss....might not renew once my sub is up.

23. macrumors newbie

another dumb move by XM/Sirius

yet another blunder in a series... why would you spend $100 to add functionality to your iphone, that you could get by buying a $50 radio? this won't increase subscriptions or sales. if this was portable that would be a completely different story. spend $20 and download pocket tunes and save yourself a headache.

i had the sirius stiletto 2, they sent me 6 different units in a year after each one crapped out after about 2 weeks of use. eventually the warranty ran out and they refused to help, even though the company acknowledged this was a widespread problem.

once stern leaves, this company will collapse (even more than it already has)

24. macrumors newbie

How can you get the SiriusXM howard show when it isn't available with the SXM app?

25. macrumors newbie

Block Howard and I will sign up!

And then give me a discount for not helping to pay for his big pay check.