Sisters give birth at 12, 14, 16

Discussion in 'Community' started by dobbin, May 23, 2005.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I don't know what's more sad - having a baby aged 12, or calling her "T-Jay".

I'm 29 and still don't think I'm quite ready to have children. Before I do, I want to make sure I will be able to provide everything that my children might need, financially and emotionally. I certainly don't want to be a drain on society like these three.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Maybe she's following the Beckham's example of naming the child where it was conceived – by the bins round the back of TJ Hughes? The 16 year old is bad, the 14 year old is worse, and the 12 year old is absolutely tragic. But their mother's reaction says it all...

"Mrs Atkins told the Sunday Mercury: "I don't care what people say about me. I blame the schools - sex education for young girls should be better."

It's always someone else's fault, isn't it? I'd like to hear what the fathers have to say, too.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I was once told never to wait until you can afford kids to have them because you never will.

4. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Apart from the age thing, the next part that shocked me was the amount of benefit that they are able to claim. I'm sure there's people with jobs trying to raise kids on less than that... doesn't seem fair really.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's amazing - if she thought the girls needed to know more (which obviously they did), then she should have taken on that responsibility. But you're right - it's so much easier to blame someone else.

As for the fathers:

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I love how the grandmother blames the *school's* sex-ed program. Parenting is more than sending your kids to school and hoping they learn what they need to know there. Unfortunately, these (pre)teen mothers probably aren't going to do much better as parents.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    they shouldnt get any benefits for their stupidity

8. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

That sounds like very good advice actually, most people always think they could do with more money, however much they earn.

However I didn't really mean that I want to earn more money before I have kids. What I meant was that I want to be secure in my job and know that I have a stable future before I have kids. I'm just about at the stage now where I am very happy in my job and believe that I'll be happy doing this for many more years. I hated my last job and would never have had kids when I couldn't be sure what job I'd be doing in 6 months time.

Oh, and my wife and I would also like to go to Australia again before we get tied down with kids, but thats just a selfish reason really...

By the time these girls are my age, they'll probably have grandchildren. They'll never have to worry about what job they'll be doing in 6 months time, as I doubt they'll ever work at all.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    While I could push the bounds of credibility to believe that the grandmother thought that the school was doing sex education when the first daughter got pregnant, it's stretching it a little far if she didn't even think about going over the birds and bees with her other two daughters; particularly since the eldest one had already had two miscarriages and an abortion before she had her baby.

The more details that come out about this, the more dysfunctional the family appears.

One of the fathers is a 38 year old man who lives with his parents and hasn't told them that he's a father because they're Asians and very traditional. He's occasionally still seeing the eldest daughter (was 16, now 18) and his child although not contributing. The middle daughter got pregnant after a one night stand since (despite both sisters being pregnant/parents), she didn't think it would happen to her.

The first daughter managed to hide her pregnancy for 7 months until her mother took her to buy a new bra.

The benefits part that bugs me is that the mother is still able to claim child benefit for the youngest two daughters plus their child benefit for their kids.

It appears the youngest two are still going to school and planning on sitting exams to get some qualifications so let's not be too fast to assume that they're going to be burdens on society forever. I'm in a generous spirited mood today... ;)

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

11. Omen88 macrumors regular

Omen88

How the hell can you blame the school's sex-ed? They have sex at that age but don't have an idea where babies come from? Shortsighted stupidness that's what it is. When I have children later they will know that no hanky panky will be tolerated! Damn kids need to be disciplined.

Edit: Oh yeah, there should be a law against giving your children stupid names. If my teenage mom would have given me a name like that, I would sign myself up for adoption by the time I could read and write.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

From the article:

"He was my first love but now I'm gutted because he doesn't want to have anything to do with me or T-Jay."

wow.... :rolleyes:

scem0

13. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Agree......well anyway they have FULL support from their mother :confused: :eek:

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I see where you're coming from but I think I disagree. The less-fortunate should get such benefits and from reading the article, these three are definitely less fortunate than myself and I'm willing to bet most of the members here too.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, the only good thing I see in all this is that they are sisters and they're all living together with their mom, so the infants aren't alone, and will most likely grow up as sisters more than cousins. But it is quite sad.

Morbid curiosity makes me wonder what this "family" will be like in 10-15 years from now when the infants are at the age their moms had them.....

D

16. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

If they shared a common father, that would be a story.

They all look happy in the photo :)

17. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

yeah - they're all thinking what they're going to do with the money they got for appearing on TV etc </cyncism>

18. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I think that would have to be a story based in Norwich .... ;)

19. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

What happened to the Child Support Agency? The 38 year old guy not contributing? Remember that intercourse, however consensual, is illegal if you're under 16. Why aren't the local authorities attempting to get the fathers to contribute? The easy solution is to blame the state and then expect it pick up the tab. £31k on benefits - this is tax free, nor do they pay rent or council tax. Take a look at your own take home pay and tell me this isn't immoral :mad:
    Sorry had a bad day.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, since the UK has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the EU, it's probably partly true that the schools aren't doing all that they could, but in the end it's a matter of parental involvement. Obviously grandma hasn't done a very good job in teaching her children about the consequences of unprotected sex. I wonder if the eldest daughter actually set an example for the younger ones? Have sex, get pregnant, get tons of attention and money and have someone that loves you....

Idiots.

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Or perhaps they don't care. Perhaps they wanted to get pregnant to show how mature they were or as a demonstration of their perfect love for whomever.

Sometimes I have to wonder just what traits humans are self selecting for evolutionarily.

22. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I think they actually love the attention they are getting for it. It will be interesting to see how many of their close mates are in a similar situation in 9 months time.

If memory serves me correctly I believe it's that age-old theory "Survival of the Thickest" ... although my memory has been known to fail me.

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You don't make that much out of a paper round. ;)

Another way to look at this – any or all of these girls could very easily be grandmothers before they're 30...

Doesn't bear thinking about.

24. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

This just highlights the need for my, some say, controversial mass sterilisation plan of council estate inhabitants.

25. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I imagine that it has a lot to do with attention as well. After the first sister got pregnant, the other two followed suit pretty quickly, and had babies born within a month of each other.

The mother can blame the school all she likes, but her 12 year old was having sex. Life just got a lot worse for her though, three more fatherless lumps to take care of.