Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
gammamonk said:
I guess now I'm leaning toward the E500 mentioned above. The feature / price ratio seems unbeatable. As soon as I can, I'm going to check out out in person. I might have a chance this Sunday.

The viewfinder is a little small and dark but I haven't found it to be much of a problem. You can also buy a magnified eyecup from Olympus, I know Amazon sells it.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
cube said:
For compact ( ... ) I don't like Sony because they are too automatic and use Memory Stick. ( ... )

Concidering I have a ton of Memory Sticks already from my Sony V1, that's not an issue. Do you really think they have fewer manual options as compared to a canon etc?

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
NinjaMonkey said:
The viewfinder is a little small and dark but I haven't found it to be much of a problem. You can also buy a magnified eyecup from Olympus, I know Amazon sells it.

So you've had your E500 a few weeks now, right? Could I trouble you to post a sample pic? Or if it's too big, maybe you could email one to me?

Awesome username by the way.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
gammamonk said:
So you've had your E500 a few weeks now, right? Could I trouble you to post a sample pic? Or if it's too big, maybe you could email one to me?

Awesome username by the way.

I sent you a private message.

If you want a good review check dpreview.com they have a very complete look at the E500.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
Update after the wedding.

It turns out that I was in the wedding party, and couldn't bring a camera at all. However, my sister's new husband's father runs a small wedding photography company. (I'd never met him before the wedding) He agreed to show me the ropes, and make me an employee! So I'm going to be taking pictures for a living! I'm feeling a little underqualified, so I'm studying up-- and I'm looking into the camera I'll need to buy. It's a "use your own equipment" kinda deal, so I need to invest in a nice camera and some accessories.

He said a Canon 30D would be the minimum camera. Need a big flash, lots of memory, a couple lenses, and a second-source flash on a stand thing. The entire description was pretty vague. I kinda let on that I know more than I do.

I have until August to learn to act the part.

Any advice?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
gammamonk said:
Any advice?
Get the 30D and some decent glass ASAP and shoot as many photos as you can stand to shoot.

Get ahold of a good photo management app (iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, etc) and use it to review your work. Make notes on what you've done right and wrong. Show him your progress and ask for tips/hints/etc.

Read up on the technical aspects of photography and try to work a little bit of technical knowledge into each shot.

Most importantly ... Have fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.