Site News: MacRumors Price Comparison Shop

Discussion in 'Site News' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2004.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

A new site section tab has been created on MacRumors entitled "Shop". The new area is a MacRumors branded Price Comparison tool, powered by Price Grabber.

The new area can be accessed by the "Shop" Tab on the top right of your screen or by url: http://macrumors.pricegrabber.com/

The new section offers price comparison charts which also take into account both tax and shipping charges across various vendors. Meanwhile, "Seller ratings" allow users to provide feedback on individual experiences with the vendors.

Examples:

PowerMac G5 2.0GHz
    PowerBook G4 1.33GHz
    Apple iPods
    Digital Cameras
    and more ...

2. sabbath999 macrumors member

I often forget about the taxes and shipping, thanks for the tab.

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

good for US friends!

But European users stay on Ebay and reseller news... good thing tho.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's currently listing a G4 iMac flat panel at $250 but Half.com doesn't actually have it...

5. DGFan macrumors 6502a

For computer purchases I still prefer MacPrices

but then, I am a student so all of this is irrelevant to me anyway! (yay for Education prices!!! :D )

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    thanks, it will make pruchasing things much more convenient in terms or research. to bad it doesnt cover other regions

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Yeah, that iMac for $250 is bogus. Where'd they get THAT price? After linking through, there's NO computer for sale for $250.

Either say it right or don't say it at all.

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I think this is fantastic. Macrumors can't be held accountable for bogus $250 imac ads that come from Pricegrabber.

Negatives?? Why???

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

As far as I can see only interesting for people living in the US.:mad:

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If you see a wrong price there's a link at the bottom of the page to report it to PriceGrabber.

One thing to note is that with Mac-specific products... Apple generally has a pretty tight leash on pricing... so you won't see huge variances on new products... though they also list refurbs which can be helpful. Also, you can save a few bucks on shipping/tax.

However.... for other consumer electronics such as Digital Cameras, Camcorders etc.... there can be huge variances on pricing. You have to watch out for prices that are "too good"... which is where the user ratings come in.

IMO, PriceGrabber is one of the better comparison tools... and if I'm looking to buy a Consumer Electronics device, I do use them to gauge what sort of price range there is. Then you have to balance price vs rep of the vendor.

arn

11. Don Mayer macrumors newbie

Price Comparisons = Paid Service

One thing to keep in mind is that Price Grabber and most price comparison engines are pay for play services -- i.e. only those companies that PAY to be a part of the comparison are listed.

Thus, they are mostly useless and in some cases completely misleading.

In one case, I found Macwarehouse to have all the lowest prices but they were comparing refurbished product to new product.

There is also no differentiation between those that are authorized by Apple to sell and those that are "grey market" resellers.

I question the value of this service to Mac Rumors readers.

Don

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Price Comparisons = Paid Service

While it's true that all of these comparison shops are based on an advertising basis, I disagree that they are "mostly useless".

If nothing else it gives you a starting point for various vendors.

But where else do you start?

You can go to Yahoo's Mac Store listings and drill down each store to find the price you want. But know that Yahoo's listings are also Pay-for-Placement influenced... (you can pay for priority listing)

You can go to Google and try to search and you'll just end up at the one or two sites that are optimized for Google the best.

arn

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Thanks Arn! You are making this site better and better now if only you would unban me in the irc chat channel........

14. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Well that's what I thought, and then I saw the button saying list only stores that ship internationally. I checked it and discovered that I could get a Dual 2ghz G5 shipped to the UK for £150 more than it costs to get a 1.6g5 in this country. But is this too good to be true? Whats stopping me ordering a G5 from a company in the states who says they ship internationally.??

15. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Report the wrong-price.

Regarding rumor mongering... I'm all for rumors, and will publish 'em.

However, I will not publish rumors that have been knowingly fabricated for the purpose of drawing traffic.

arn

17. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Thank you for creating this. It will be a great help.

18. Kagetenshi macrumors 6502

The fact that you'd need to get a replacement plug. Other than that, absolutely nothing. Why?

~J

19. Docrjm macrumors regular

You would actually take a huge hit in customs and import duties, probably eroding any and all savings.
    Try it out and let us know:D

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I can't believe that you keep finding new ways to expand and improve MacRumors, arn. But I have a dumb question. Other than look and feel, what it the difference between macrumors.pricegrabber.com and regular pricegrabber.com?

21. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

If you can really find a Apple dealer that really ships to Europe then it would be great. My experience is that the international dealers sell international BUT Apple products. I once asked some to ship me a PB, but they are not allowed to do it with Apples. Well thats my experience and the best thing is you write them an email. Maybe it works. Would be great. And the customs stuff can easily be found out.

22. amichalo macrumors regular

Windows XP is "popular product"

lame that the four featured products were:

Windows XP
    ATI Radeaon card
    Mini iPod
    X Box

23. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

Not to be critical but I thought it was funny - I looked up one item (Canon XL1s camcorder). There was one vendor and their price was $100 more than my local Apple Store (which is about 10% more than many other places). In either case I would have to pay sales tax.

ber

24. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

same content, but the using MacRumors co-brand helps this site.

arn

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry to be dense today (it must be from the Black Hole thread). Does using macrumors.pricegrabber.com help MacRumors monetarily, or just give it extra visibility? If it is the former, I will use it when shopping and encourage others to do so, even when my shopping didn't start from MacRumors or for a Mac-related item.