Site Slowness

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Apr 22, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Apologies for the slow website loads

Hopefuly some changes have been made to improve web page delivery.

We'll see over the next few days.

arn

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Is it a matter of bandwidth/hits or is it on the PHP/DB side?

3. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I believe it was that Apache wasn't allowing enough connections to keep up.

I increased the upper ceiling of how many connections Apache allows.

arn

4. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

I've noticed it too.... I also got a "were sorry, this server is too busy" message earlier (not one from the webbrowser but from your site). Looks like it might be a php slowdown :confused: Hmm... Well..... I wouldn't know anyway :rolleyes:. Hope you get it back up :)

5. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

That's a seperate issue. The server busy messages today were from my messing around with things and restarting services.

hopefully that won't be a big issue once things settle out.

If enough users end up of the forums, that message will happen. The forums take up a certain amount of resources.

arn

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'd been thinking something had been up with our dsl here at work the past several days...

I don't worry much about the "server busy" messages. Usually, if that happens, go back then click "submit" again and it'll work. ;)

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Yeah I accidentally double posted during the slow down. I posted once and then got a server didn't respond message. Then I pressed submit a few minutes later and got the same message. Finally I tried again about a half hour later, but by that time both of my posts were there. :)

Ooops.. :) But actually my double post started a nice discussion on the MR lag. :)

Arn, do you maintain your own server? Or do you have someone host it for you?

I host around 10 domains at my office, but the upkeep is wearing me down. I am thinking of moving my sites to a service.

8. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The server is hosted by fastservers.net. But I'm responsible for the day-to-day upkeep.

arn

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

how much bandwidth does MacRumors use?

10. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We're over 300gigs/month now.

arn

11. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I host several sites for my clients, but the Windows server that I have them on is a pain to maintain. I am moving to Mac OS X server, but I am also researching moving them to a hosting service that is cheaper than me.

I am taking over my Rotary club's website and it is currently hosted on doteasy.com. It seems nice and cheap. (That is what gave me the idea of moving the rest of the sites.)

Thanks for the info!

Edited: Wow! That is alot of bits! I have always wondered, is Macrumors.com in the black? or are you supporting it? (Beyond your time and such)

Because if you are in the Black, then you my friend are a hot commodity. A sucessful .com manager. :D

12. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

In terms of pure money in and out, MacRumors is currently in the black. This is a pretty recent phenomenon -- until late 2002, it was supported by me. In terms of time - well, we'll not go there... :) Of course, I enjoy it (mostly).

as for a hot commodity - it's not as hard when you don't have to pay anyone... I always wonder how any site with an actual staff can make any money.

(A second server might have to come online shortly though... it'll depend on bandwidth/traffic growth.)

arn

13. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Then Back into the Red Eh?

I have always wondered how the finances of sites work. Yours is pretty easy, Mugs and ads. Although you do so few ads I figured you were barely breaking even. I cannot for the life of me figure out HomeStarRunner.com Just merchandise sales cannot be paying for the bandwidth...

I don't know. Running my own small biz makes me facinated with the money flow of other companies. :)

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

maybe they're operating at a loss. even if they're doing 300gig/month, they can probably host that for $200/mo (someone correct me if i'm off).

if one has a decent job, it's not a lot of money. and look at it as an investment -- that stuff is so popular, they're bound to make $$ off it sooner or later (e.g. someone buys the characters).

15. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Yeah it is just amazing the depth and amount of work that he has put in to the site. I am sure that it is similar or less than Arn devotes to us here. ;).

By the way Arn, if you haven't heard it recently, great site and good work!!

16. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i've seen people with homestarrunner shirts...its got a HUGE audience...i bet there making plenty.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well once the 2003 mugs come out, I think I'll buy one.

Just a little help. :)

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

looks like it's dragging some serious ass again today...

pages are taking 20 seconds to load... :(

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Might i suggest if this is an on going problem you delete the older images... they are just taking space.