iPad Site to sell iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sundog925, Nov 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Anyone sell their iPad on one of those cash websites? how'd it go?

2. macrumors 6502a

Nope. Sold mine to Amazon for what equates to store credit. Plan on doing my Christmas shopping on there. Amazon dinged me $40 because of what they claim were "light scratches." Boo.

3. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Gazelle seems to be popular and I did used them for my iPhone 4 and got what they promised

4. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

I've used Gazelle as well for iPhones and iPads. They quote you a price which is good for 30 days I believe. Even if the price goes down the price on your quote stays the same provided you send in your device before the time expires. If you are honest about the condition of your device you get exactly what they promised. Shortly after they get your device and inspect it they immediately send you a check. Just recently sold them my iPad 2. Glad to be getting my price quote as the price dropped 2 or 3 times (closer to the iPad Mini launch).

5. cfs
    macrumors 6502a

If these companies change the quote once they get your device do you have the option of having the device mailed back?

Thanks

6. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Bad Business

Sounds like a dishonest practice. Who does that?

7. cfs, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

cfs
    macrumors 6502a

Don't know. I tried to find the info. so I thought I would ask. Maybe I should have asked, what is the procedure?

8. macrumors newbie

eBay did this to me. Promised me 400 or so for my iPhone 4 and once they got it told me they would only give me $100! Device was like new with all accessories and box. Even had a full body invisible shield.

Good thing, they sent it back to me for free.

9. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Got quotes from eBay & Gazelle for my iPad 3. EBay was the most generous but decided it was too soon to take such a huge loss on a perfectly fine device.

10. macrumors 601

clyde2801

You say most generous, I'd say less stingy. And I agree with you on staying put on my 3.

11. macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

12. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, I was being facetious. But Apple trimming $100 off new 3s didn't help either. Apple is selling "refurb" 64GB ATT 3rd gens for $679 so best you can hope to sell a used one on eBay is probably $625 - 12% is misc fees - free shipping = $535 walkout. eBay was offering me $500 so not that terrible of an offer considering. Gazelle was downright insulting at $450.

13. macrumors 601

clyde2801

I put a trial balloon up on CL, but I didn't even get any responses from lowballers or scammers, fer cryin' out loud!

14. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Cool! I didn't know that eBay bought used devices. Do they also pay for shipping? How long before you receive your money from them?

15. macrumors regular

drewfus

With Gazelle, does your offer amount go down if you don't send in the charger? I got an offer on my iPad 3 just before the iPad event. Now...on Gazelle's FAQ page, it says that with iPhones, accessories don't affect payment, but with computers/displays, the accessories do affect it. It doesn't mention iPads at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

16. macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I live by a college. So Craigslist is my best sale option. Done sold me two MacBooks, an iPad, and a smoothly used Xbox. :)

17. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

They pay shipping. I didn't go through with the sale so can't say how quick payment is mailed out.

18. AJsAWiz, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

eBay's Instant Sell

Glad to hear that you were offered a good deal, although you didn't take it.
    I checked eBay's instant sell (assuming that's what you used) and they were offering me way less than Gazelle. I also got an estimate for a Wii I traded in at GameStop for $70 and all they offered was $25. Guess, it's like spinning the wheel in the Wheel of Fortune. :)

----------

Don't know. I've always sent in the same stuff my device came with (charger and cable). Not sure if the, included, charger and cable are considered "accessories". Perhaps someone, here, sent in a "naked" device without the charger and cable to Gazelle and can provide an accurate answer.

19. macrumors 68020

Acorn

it seems that these sites lowball you. its a cool service because its a fast sale but its only if your desperate for cash imho. its equivalent to a pawn shop basically.

20. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yep. They'll give you $700 for a maxed out 17" macbook pro :eek:

21. macrumors newbie

Craigslist is the best place to sell. I sold my iPad 2 16gb for $300 it sold in less than a hour.

22. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

You did well :)

23. macrumors member

I paid $800 for my 64g 4g ipad and I can barely get $600 for it :(

24. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

Not sure if Mac of all trades does iPads, but they give a good amount more on laptops than gazelle

25. orangecrushv, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

macrumors member

I used Amazon for my iPhone 4 and have my iPad 2 all boxed up to be shipped today. Amazon gift cards are as good as cash to me and they beat gazelle by a good margin on both...

Forgot to mention, I submitted my phones as "good" condition and they bumped them up to "like new" and paid the higher amount to me...