Site Update: Folding, SETI@Home, GarageBand Forum

Discussion in 'Site News' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2004.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

- MacRumors SETI @ Home Team is going strong and looking for new members. If you would like to help, see our SETI FAQ or visit our Distributed Computing forum.

- MacRumors Folding @ Home Team is now the 20th overall ranked team and remains the #1 Mac Folding team. If you would like to help, see our Folding FAQ or visit our Distributed Computing forum.

- A new GarageBand discussion forum has been created in anticipation of the growing interest in Apple's new iLife Application.

- And thanks to all those who helped out during the MacWorld Expo keynote.

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Great! Looking forward to using the GarageBand forum, anyway to share songs?

This is great!

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well I have rejoined SETI, I had some problems with units crashing, hopefully they won't crash again!

5. Omad0n macrumors regular

i had almost forgotten about Seti! Thanks for posting this, I'll be able to re-join teh team now :)

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Great to hear about the GarageBand sites! I'll definitely be making good use of them....

7. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Thanks, arn, for giving yet more visibility to the MacRumors SETI team! While the folding team is going strong, we could still use a lot more users to the SETI team!

So to give you all an incentive to join the SETI team, how about this: if we get onto the top 200 list, we can kick Symantec off the list! They're the 200th team. It's going to require a lot of work and time, still, but I know we can do it. And I know how you guys all hate Norton Utilities... so let's show them how we feel! :)

Also, note that SETI runs on any Mac running System 7.5.5 or higher, so we aren't relegated to Macs only running Mac OS X like the MacRumors folding team is. That gives us a big advantage, and we should use it. So if any of you have any older Macs, don't hesitate to put them on the project! Any computing power helps.

8. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Not sure if I follow the reasoning behind the question

If you want, you can go to http://www.applerumors.com if it makes you feel better. ;)

To answer the question... it's a site related to all things related to Apple and the Mac. iPod included.

arn

10. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Very cool, Arn, I had no idea you had applerumors.com

And thanks for marketing the folding team.

11. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Woo... I'm glad I started folding before it came cool like this...:D

Remember, folding is actually going to valid medical research. It's easy, check it out.

12. Isbiten macrumors newbie

Joined the folding team a couple of days ago, haven't finished my first eh assignment yet though :)

Not want to hurt anyone, but seti at home isn't the best way to spend your spare CPU cycles.

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Folks, let's avoid the SETI vs F@H comments. Both teams need support, and as one of the leading members of the F@H team, I'm perfectly happy supporting the SETI team in their efforts to move up the ranks.

Play nice. :)

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah when the SETI team reaches 200 i might have to add some support for it... but for me its really what the research is doing... SETI for Aliens... Folding for Dieases.

I fold currently, I've had a few family members die from things like that... not good at all.

The Folding Team will accecpt all Mac Os X, Linux and Windows computers!

My Theory:
    Folding for Mac Os X
    SETI for Os 9 and Under.

15. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

PCRumors.com is also a good site. ;)

I'm glad to hear that our folding team is doing so well, and I'm glad to see Macrumors expanding. Thanks, and keep up the good work! :D

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Using a RAM disk, it's possible to run SETI in such a way that it does not access the disk while running. Is the same thing possible for Folding?

17. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Woo! We got an extra 42 members from this story -- that should definitely help us in getting on one of the top 200 lists. Just look how many more work units we got: we now have 143906 units done for team, as opposed to the 128468 work units just yesterday at 6 PM PST. Just 93852 more work units to go before we get on the top 200 list! ;) Anybody else up for joining the SETI team?

(BTW, if anybody misjudges my comments about Folding, know that I'm just being silly when I say things like tempting Folding users to come to the SETI team. Both teams are doing well, and both need support, as Rower said. :) )

18. djsincla macrumors newbie

MacRumors Folding team is now ranked 19.

... and still going strong.

19. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

That's funny. :D