Sites blocking Mac Browsers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xnet, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Xnet macrumors member

I enjoy reading news from http://news.yahoo.com/ yet their system for viewing videos seems to block mac browsers. Their FAQ says there is no video support for Mac users. Why would this be? What technical reason could there be for this?

I forget how to enable to menu in Safari that will allow me to fool serves into thinking that its a PC browser.

I wonder if by doing that it would prove that there are no real technical barriers.

If anyone would like to give this a try or point me in the right direction - I'd appreciate it!

xnet

2. metalgearmac macrumors member

They are probably just to lazy to include the small % of mac users.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You need to turn on the Debug menu item ... open Terminal ... type:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Close and reopen Safari ... go to Debug/User Agents

4. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Well with a little work you will be viewing websites that have this dumb restrictions. Why they do it, because they think Windows is the only real OS? Who knows, whatever the reason it is wrong.

5. AtlantaGuy macrumors member

The Debug Menu is enabled with Safari Enhancer:
    http://www.celestialfrontiers.com/safari_enhancer.php

My email to Yahoo :

"Though your site says "Yahoo! Video is currently not compatible with Macintosh computers" the video does play when running Firefox for Macintosh. When will it be available for Safari? Better yet, why not use Quicktime for a higher quality and fully cross-platform solution?"