Sitting by the old fireplace, NOT getting warm

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Has anyone ever tried one of these Duraflame logs in your fireplace? I've been using a few this winter, and I'm disappointed. So they burn for three hours. Whoopee -- they give off almost no heat. Big deal.

And you can't stack two or three of them to get more heat. (Not that you'd want to, anyway. That could get expensive.)

I didn't lay in a supply of regular firewood this winter, and that was a mistake. Next year, back to what works. There's nothing like a toasty warm fireplace when the weather gets as bad as it is now (8°).

A side-question: for those of you that have fireplace inserts, do you feel they produce enough extra heat to justify the cost? I like the look of an open fireplace, but I'm considering an insert with a blower for next winter. I just don't know if the extra heat (and energy savings) would justify the $1200 (minimum) a good insert would cost me.
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    My dad had a franklin stove and it gave off enough heat to warm the entire house (~1500 sq. feet). I don't have one myself but I've heard great things about inserts. If you like a nice fire, that's a great way to get some real warmth out of it. Most standard fireplaces to little to heat a home.