Six friggin thirty....

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGary, Sep 19, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

So I'm curled up on the couch in the living room (I haven't been able to sleep in our bed for months because of my back - anyway) covered in blankets because the significant other likes to turn our place into a refrigerator at night....

I'm in that half-awake/half asleep state and all of the sudden *knock, knock, knock* on our front door.

So obviously I am expecting the police to tell me one of my family members has been in a wreck or some drunk is playing a game - or, I'm about to get robbed...because it is 6:30 a.m.

I open the door (hand on the Mossberg, which sits by our door - long story, I was robbed one night--wouldn't you hate to be the local hoodlum and get blown away by the village homo) and the freaking FedEx dude has a package for me (I get tons of FedEx everyday).

"Hi, I have an International Priority package for you."

"Uh...come back later."

*pushes envelope toward me*

"Here you go."

"No, seriously, I'm sorry, come back later."

*looks at me funny*

"I hate to be rude, but since when did FedEx start waking people out of bed to deliver packages?" (7:00 I can deal with, but the freaking sun wasn't even up yet.)

"It's first priority - by 10:30."

"Great, I'll have had a cup of coffee and a shower in two hours. Come back then and you'll still be two hours early."

I close the door.

10:30 goes by and no FedEx.

I call.

"I'm sorry sir, someone refused the delivery."

Yeah, that was me.

"Why did you refuse the delivery if you need it sir?"

"Uh, he tried to deliver it at 6:30 this morning..."

"I'm sorry sir, we will deliver it..."

"Um, I know you had now hand in this, Rita (yes, her name was really Rita), but that package will be delivered by noon."

*click*

*ring, ring*

"Hello, Mr. Reich, this is John with FedEx..."

I explain the whole thing to him and my package comes at 11:45 (different driver).

Am I an ass for refusing this thing at 6:30 in the morning?

6:30!!!!! :confused:

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That does seem a tad early, but if there's one thing I've learned about FedEx, it's that you should take the package as soon as you can... because the longer they hold onto it, the more likely something bad will happen.

I'd've signed for it and removed them from the equation.

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

6:30?!?!?

Now I am used to getting calls from our hash-smoking photographers in Norway at 3 in the morning..."Oh, sorry dude, I forgot you aren't on our time...uh heh, heh..."

But FedEx at 6:30?

He must have had some hospital deliveries and they lumped mine in with it...

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Its pretty rediculous to deliver that early I agree, but I probably would have taken the package and rung them to complain. Your way though should have got their attention :)

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

lol. no... but if its something important... just take and and swear at the guy. Then you get the package and it makes an impression.
    :D

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I wouldn't of even gotten up. I'm shocked that you did. :p

**looks left and right.... whispers.... "people are up that early??"......**

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Love the new 'tar. :rolleyes: :D

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

6:30 is a bit nuts - you have to wonder if you were the first stop, though :D

I'd have taken it - then complained, since its lucky you got your package later in the day.

Did you have to sign for it? It might have been better if he'd just left it there....

D

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well that's the thing, too. I signed a blanket waiver where unless the shipper specifically asks for it, they can just leave stuff without a sig. I literally get 5-6 FedEx packages a day - they just leave em'.

This was freaking weird.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Perhaps the guy was just hoping you sleep naked and were too groggy to think about it when you opened the door. ;)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Before we moved to Indiana, I lived in Old Town Alexandria and we would get all these yahoos from West Virginia showing up all the time with their truck of fire wood - ring the doorbell (usually when we were eating) and ask "You all want some of that there fire wood...."

Some of our neighbors put up signs on their front doors (discreet, but obvious when you went to knock or ring the door bell) that said "We DON'T need firewood"

You should try putting a sign up at the door just telling the guys what to do.

D

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

lucky you got your package back.... i dont like Fedex at all never have.

13. mpw Guest

I've had my fair share of callers at ridiculous hours. My 'favorite' was a women who came to our door at 4am, like iGary I went to answer the door expecting the police or something. So I open the door and she asks, as if it was quite a normal request at that time, "Is this number 29?". I look at her like she's an idiot and say "What? No it's 16, and it's 4am"

Now you have to understand that I live in a row of semi-detached houses all on one side of the street and for quite obvious reason I've got a '16' nailed to the door, my neighbor to one side has a '17' and on the other side they've chosen a very fetching '18'.

Then she asked if I knew where '29' was. I just tore into her for ringing my bell and banging on my door at that time of the morning and then slammed the door.

I'm always getting calls in the middle of the night for work and I don't sleep much anyway but I can't stand it when people are so ****ing stupid.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Geez, some people have no respect for the blind....

15. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'm just going to make a sign and have it laminated and put it up outside.

Good idea, Mr. Anderson.

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

hey at least the guy was good to be up at 6:30 and promptly doing his job! lol

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just make sure you mention that any attempt to deliver packages before 7:00 AM will be met with lethal force :p

D

18. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

LOL

I used to have a sign up there but it got like a mile long...instructions for DHL, instrcutions for FedEx, UPS...

I should have chambered a round before I opened the door. :p

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

6:30 is too early.

I leave for school at 6:40 and barely wake up at 6:30.

Packages are NOT supposed to be delivered that early!

20. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

6:30 is a bit early. That's really strange that they came that early. That's about when I leave for work every day, and I can't recall ever seeing them delivering that early.

21. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I had a roommate that would do that- kinda- I'm a little uncomfortable talking about it - thank you... I moved out, it was, uh, I dunno, lol

It's your place. If someone shows up at 6:30 and you're not comfortable accepting his "package" ( when i write package in quotes I'm a little uncomfortable about it too ) then Don't.

You're not a jerk for turning him away from your door at an hour you reserve for quiet contemplation on the couch, or meditation, or hormone therapy, or writing code, or driving a backhoe. Whatever you are into at that hour you should be doing. Not worrying about the shady "FedEx" guy ( oddly - the name of a mult- national corporation, who might- secretly- want to take over my mind, in quotes is not as creepy as the word package, a benign noun, in quotes). Especially if he is creepy looking ( like that roommate I was talking about, I really don't want to say anymore about him,,,). So answer your door for whoever you want! Accept a package ("package" - still creepy) from whoever you want! And for crying out loud when you finally get the package, make sure you sanitize it. 'Cause that creepy FedEx guy probably did something - unusual with the refused parcel. :D

22. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

How do I articulate this without calling you a primadonna?

1. Perhaps you or your shipper should not have chosen priority shipping. You need the package by 10:30 in the morning. But you refuse to accept the package until 8:30 at earliest. Assume all FedEx customers expect the same timetable. This gives FedEx two hours to make all Priority deliveries. Improbable.

2. The FedEx shipper woke up at an ungodly hour just to deliver your package to you! He's awake, as are you, and you're in the same place, with the package you need. The logical action? Send him away, of course.

HTH. :)

23. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

At $30.00 an envelope it is their job.

Not my problem. I have never worked an office job in my life where we accepted packages before 8. Ever.

24. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

why thank you :)

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you were silly to refuse it and they should have sent your package back. What effort would it take to sign for the dang thing? I mean you were up. If it were late you'd be on her moaning about that too!