Six months after hell froze, Apple's Intel transition is ro...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 19, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

joecool85

All I have to say is, Awesome.

3. macrumors Core

iGary

Blah.

Throws up a little.™

4. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

C'Mon big G this is cool! I feel like we're getting back to OS X's roots. Back when NeXTSTEP ran on Intel so many moons ago. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a 12 or 13-inch (widescreen) Apple laptop to act as a large wireless PDA while on photo shoots. Would fit perfectly in my Tamrac Expedition backpack ;) Heck, maybe I could even gen' some QTVR on site for my clients to see! That would be nice. I'm looking forward to January, that's for sure.

5. macrumors G5

nagromme

That is, if Apple ever updates the QTVR Authoring Studio for OS X :eek:

I know, there are 3rd-party options. I even bought one, I just haven't installed it since the old Studio still does the job in Classic :eek:

6. macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm so glad we're out of the intel transition drama...

7. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This article told us nothing. It was like a brain fart, but with no new ideas or realizations.

8. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Um, since when have we heard definitive proof that the MacTel's are dual boot? This article seems more spin than factual.

However it's pointing out people were very gloomy about it and many have warmed up to the possibility, well, at least they got ONE thing right.

9. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Brain Fart?

Never heard that one before!

10. macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Forget Blah, this is "meh".

11. macrumors 6502

"Intel on Macs"

Not to be picky, but it should be Mac on Intel, other then that it truely was a brain fart.

12. macrumors 68030

I liked the article for its view on how Apple has become such a large company in a short period of time. So many things have changed, and it's only going to get better.

13. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Agreed!

14. macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

The title seems to refer to Macs running on intels when hell freezes over, well that happened and so it was the day hell froze over. When did Steve Jobs or anyone associated with Apple make the bold state ment that they would never run on intel or that they would when hell froze over? It sure was almost unthinkable, but they seem to be suggesting apple made a major u-turn, when OSX was living a double life.

Picky I know, but it would be like someone saying that the day I got a car was the day hell froze over. I am not completely anti-car, but I currently choose to use public transport for the few journeys I make. When I get a car, it wouldn't be a major u-turn in my decision making, just that I finally decided now was the time I needed one as public transport wasn't offering me what I needed. I see this as no different.

15. macrumors 68040

shamino

We haven't. And we won't, from Apple.

Apple has officially said that they will not release Windows boxes, but they won't take steps to prevent others from installing Windows.

The developer test machines can boot Windows. It is likely that the release systems will as well (although this may require custom chipset drivers and/or a hacked installer.)

I am fairly certain that those who really want to dual-boot a Mac into Windows will be able to do so. Maybe Microsoft will build the support into Vista. More likely, some third-party will publish a hack to make it work (much like how XPostFacto lets you install OS X on old Macs that aren't supposed to be able to boot it.)

Personally, I think any dual-booting will be done by hobbiests. Those who need Windows boxes will prefer to buy Windows PCs, and those who need occasional access to Windows apps will buy Virtual PC.

16. Moderator

Mitthrawnuruodo

Staff Member

Not the best article, but I kind of liked the little 5 years ago - today summing up... nothing new, but still... ;)