Six Muslim (sic) imams taken off plane

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 21, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

"muslim imams". nice, thanks for the redundancy.

this paranoia and fear really is going to destroy us...

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If they would have just obeyed the authoritys this wouldnt have escalated but refusing to get off the plane is a sure way to find yourself handcuffed. Its kind of funny how 21st century man holds onto these old ancient religions. They are so important:rolleyes:

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

let people believe what they want.

shame that just because they were grouped together and because they decided to pray they were seen as suspect. being paranoid and over-reacting is going to show just how ignorant so many people really are.

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I think what is funny is that a "21st-century-man" like yourself fails to respect other people's beliefs.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Religion has caused more problems, more wars, more strife then almost anything. Its a old primitive way of thinking that denys everything around us for hocus pocus and tradition. Lets face religion is pseudo science brainwashing that trys to get others to think the same. Ban them all. All this worshipping of stones,places and ancient men should have been given up centurys ago. I have little respect for religion. Its all B.S.

6. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

To be completely honest, if a group of muslims stood up in the plane and said theyre evening prayers Id be a little freaked. :(

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Would you be just as freaked if a group of christians or catholics did a prayer on a plane?

Or are you just ignorant of their religion?

I could care less if they prayed on the plane. Wouldn't bother me at all.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

And what, pray tell were these men doing that merited removing them from the aircraft? Tell me something...if I ask to have Gary removed from a flight because he is gay or Kramer because he is white, isn't that going to touch off a firestorm? And yet, this comes off as par for the course.:mad:

I cannot wait to get sworn in. As an American of Indian descent (and thus appearing Muslim enough for most), "You really are picking the wrong sue-happy attorney to mess with" is going to be my new catch phrase.:D

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If the example were exactly the same...if Christian extremists had attacked the United States with planes, and if a Christian group stood up in a plane to pray...well, yeah, actually.

BTW, "Christians or Catholics"?

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is reminiscent of the Orthodox, non-French or English speaking Jewish guy who was doing his thing for his god on a plane in Canada. Planes are really, really small places and when 6 men stand up on a plane to do their thing, they're being disruptive and if they were praying out loud, potentially interfering with the flight attendant speeches. Ok, so nobody listens to them anyway but an airplane is not the place to be practicing arcane religious rituals.

I find it hard to believe that these guys felt they could get away with it. Does this type of thing happen on planes in the ME? I didn't realize that Allah cut off people's heads simply because a person's prayer was an hour or two late or because a person prayed along or, heavan forbid, prayed an hour or two early in the relgious room at the MSP airport.

While the reaction was overboard, these guys actions were also overboard. I have no problem with overt and disruptive religious practices being banned on airplanes.

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

• First, only three stood.
    • Second, I can count many a time when there are more than three people standing up on the aircraft.
    • Third, where does it say that they were praying during the safety instructions?
    • Fourth, refusing to put the men on another flight is absurd.
    • Fifth, 147 passengers on a plane with capacity for 166 is not crowded.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont forget you have to face Mecca:rolleyes: so lets see im in a plane and its facing:eek: Do muslims carry compass? Arcane is right.

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I can't seem to connect to the "contact us" page on the US Airways site from work, but I'll definitely be doing that later. I think that religion is stupid and dangerous, but I also think that arresting people for praying on an airplane is even more stupid and dangerous.

If they don't want praying on the airplane, then they should put up a sign. It wouldn't be any more ridiculous than any of the other restrictions currently upheld.

Warning: Toothpaste, shoes and god are not allowed beyond the security zone. Please leave your dignity, religious beliefs and toiletry items at the security counter.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

at sporting events, we face a piece of cloth and sing to it. or sometimes it's a cartoonish image of a piece of cloth. just because you don't agree with a ritual or understand it doesn't make it arcane.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

:)

16. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

But, what you just said pretty much encapsulates all the same intolerance and narrow-mindedness that has inspired atrocities committed in the name of religion throughout history.

In your quote, just replace the word 'religion' with 'Christianity' or 'Judaism' or 'Islam' and you'll see your quote sounds eerily familiar...

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The (sic) should come after the mistake, not before.

Six Muslim (sic) imams taken off plane

should be

Six Muslim imams (sic) taken off plane

oh god i'm anal :D

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i was going back and forth on that. i decided to put it after muslim, because that's the redundant word. imo, the headline should have been "Six imams taken off plane".

19. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I declare a holy war against you for disrespecting my religion. :p

Okay, I wont go that far, but seriously... YES religion has been a major cause of war throughout history. So has greed, power, and a myriad of other issues.

On that note, religion isn't necessarily to blame. Its the ignorance that followers of that religion display that causes problems. Did Jesus ever tell anyone to rid the world if Black people/Jews/Catholics/Homosexuals/etc? NO!!!

The same goes for Islam. Fundamentalists twist and manipulate a great religion to satisfy their own twisted desires and the people they recruit are none the wiser.

As for denying everything around me for a bunch of hocus pocus? What? I'm just as modernized and aware of the world as anyone else (actually, more so tham many people I know :rolleyes: )

Please don't disrespect other people's religion, no matter how much you disagree with it. :)

Good book that kinda/sorta ties in.

20. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

This episode is nothing more than a new twist on the "tight-jean-wearing-schoolgirl-decides-to-wear-veil-to-school-routine" and then go whinging to the European court. Or the "I'll-go-to-the-interview-dressed-normally-but-after-I-get-the-job-I'll-wear-a-fracking-black-cloth/eyeslit-number-in-class", then do a press conference when I get sacked. OR the "lets-complain-because-the-bank-is-giving-out-piggy-banks-and-I'm-insulted", charade. or the "lets-complain-about-a-cartoon-and-kill-people-because-we-are so-friggen-sensitive", number.

This one is called the "Let's-us-6-stand-up-together-in-a-crowded-plane-and-make-a-big-fracking-hoo haa-because-we-haven't-seen-any-muslims-mentioned-in-the-newspapers-for-a-fortnight-and-we-had-some-time-to-kill-anyway", ploy.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

These guys should have just huddled up ,faced Mecca and did the praying thing before they got on the plane. They wanted attention and they recieved it. Ask and though shall recieve:D

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Why not ? they all are man made Hoopla,Spin,Hocus Pocus and not one is based in science. Plus if there is such a thing as the one true gospel which one is it? My guess is they all are spinning, and getting those contibutions and brain washing more folks.

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sitting in their seat, belt strapped, and everything else in order, anyone is welcome to pray. If they're making a spectacle of themselves, it doesn't matter what their reason, and if they don't stop when asked, boot them off the plane.

24. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Since you're so certain: Read this and get back to me.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im back so which religion would Jesus promote? The Jewish faith no doubt.;) My point isnt that Jesus didnt walk this earth, my point is man will make up any....ANY religion or tradition based on almost anything to get others to think like him. Scientology,Tree worshippers,Cow worshippers,Monkey worshippers, Idol worshippers, UFo worshippers and yes the many Muslim and Christian worshippers. Everyone wants to have or make one it seems. The Muslim one is just as screwed up, even more so. Im just glad I wasnt born a woman in a muslim country.