Six people found dead in Deltona, Floriduh home

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bousozoku, Aug 6, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The text is here because you need to be registered to view the article:

The bodies of six young adults were discovered in a Deltona house this morning, apparently victims of a brutal overnight slaughter, and authorities said their killer most likely knew them and is probably at large.

Officials said the victims ranged in age from 18 to the mid-30s, and said police technicians would have to use fingerprints and dental records to confirm each identity. The bodies were removed from the home just at 7 tonight.

A dog was also found dead in the home, which is about 25 miles north of Orlando.

By Friday evening, officials had tentatively identified one victim through tattoos, but did not release the name. Autopsies were planned for Saturday and Sunday.

"We've never seen anything like this," Volusia County Sheriff Ben Johnson said this afternoon. "There was a lot of trauma, a lot of blood splatter, just a very, very brutal crime."

Johnson said the victims did not appear to have been family members and had not been living at the house long. Authorities said the bodies were found in different rooms of the three-bedroom home, and there were signs of a struggle.

"I don't believe this was a random act by any means. I strongly believe these people knew who their assailants were," Johnson said, adding that it was "very, very possible" that more than one person was involved.

Sheriff Johnson did not divulge how the victims died or offer a possible motive for the slayings. They have identified subjects of interest to talk to, Johnson said.

"It appears that we have a murderer on the loose, but it's early in the investigation," Volusia County Sheriff's spokesman Gary Davidson said.

The victims apparently worked at an area Burger King, and their bodies were discovered after one of them failed to show up for work this morning. A co-worker called a friend and asked the person to visit the home, officials said.

Aerial footage of the house showed a team of investigators donning white protective suits in the front yard. A blue Pontiac was towed from the driveway. Yellow police tape cordoned off the perimeter of the property.

Police also cordoned off a second home in the area which Johnson called a "house of interest."

"Possibly some of the people who lived in that house may have moved into this house," where the bodies were found, Johnson said.

Deputies had recently been dispatched to that house for disturbance calls that included fighting, trespassing and tire-slashing, Johnson said.

A man at crime scene who identified himself as Steve Nathan said his daughter, Michelle Ann Nathan, 19, was one of the victims. He said she moved into the house three months ago, and that she and the other housemates worked at Burger King.

Nathan said his daughter's boyfriend also was living there and had moved in two weeks ago.

"She was a fun-loving kid," said Nathan. "She liked her car; she liked boys. She had just gotten a used Camaro, and she was really excited about her car."

Michelle was stationed in Missouri with the army, Nathan said, and was discharged recently because of medical trauma.

Reporters went to the Burger King earlier today and saw employees sitting at tables with the doors locked.

Burger King, in a statement, said "the victims of the tragedy are employees" of a Deltona franchise, and said the franchisee was working with local officials and the corporation during the investigation. A company spokeswoman would not clarify whether all the victims worked for Burger King. The franchisee did not return calls for comment.

The restaurant, about two miles from the house, posted a sign that read, "Sorry temporarily closed. Sorry for the inconvenience." Don Ramdeen, the restaurant's operations director, said the business was bringing in professional counselors for its workers.

The house is located in a tidy, residential area of middle-class homes. Neighbors stood on corners talking, while children rode through the area on bicycles. County tax records show that the home is owned by a Brooklyn, N.Y., man.

Chaplains from the sheriff's office consoled victims' relatives, who were kept away from the media and other crowds gathered in the area.

Rocky Gonzalez, 22, rushed to the scene because he was concerned that one of his friends may have been a victim. Gonzalez said his friend had told him Thursday night that he was planning to stay at the house with someone who worked at Burger King.

A neighbor of the victims, India Harris, said she was visited by two investigators at 7 a.m., waking up her brother and cousin. Harris, 17, estimated four people lived in the house, but only knew the neighbors to say hello.

Harris said the investigators asked her whether she knew any of the neighbors and whether she saw any strange cars passing through the neighborhood.

"They kept asking us, 'Did we know any of them?"' Harris said in a telephone interview. Harris said she did not know the names of the people who lived there.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's awful news. I wonder if the detectives figured out what the killer's motives were - that may help police identify the criminal.

4. acceber macrumors regular

:(

I can just imagine if six people I know all suddenly died at once by a vicious attack. Extremely sad account. :(

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Curious that they're not releasing info on what happened. And killing the dog just makes it even worse. I hope they find who ever did this before they get a chance to do it again.

Do they have the death penalty in Florida? Not that I'm for it, just that this would be the most likely result for the individuals involved here.

D

6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

There is a death penalty here but you can only kill the murderers once. :(

Here's another article on the story:

DELTONA -- Blood-spatter experts from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) on Saturday began examining the house where six bodies were discovered. The crime is one of the worst mass murders in the state's history.

The bodies of the victims, four men and two women ages 18 to mid-30s, were removed from the house late Friday. Autopsies for three of the victims are planned for today, with the other three set for Sunday. A dog also was found dead in the house; officials said they will conduct a necropsy.

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office enlisted the help of FDLE because of the sheer complexity of the crime scene. A total of nine crime-scene investigators were working inside the house Saturday morning, including two blood-spatter experts from FDLE.

Sheriff Ben Johnson said that the level of violence evident in the home was extreme.

Investigators still have not released the identities of any of the victims. The Sheriff's Office has "people of interest" in the case but no suspects.

Several of the victims lived in the rented home on Telford Lane, in a quiet, working-class neighborhood. Five of the victims also worked in a nearby Burger King. The bodies were discovered Friday morning after one of the victims didn't show up for work.

On Saturday, the Burger King at Elkcam Boulevard and Lake Helen-Osteen Road remained closed. The company said it will reopen Monday.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Too many murder stories... kinda gives the Current Events section a depressing feel. Something like "Criminal injured from being biten in the balls by victim's dog" or "Criminal hires plumber that screws up the toilets, forcing the criminal to use someone else's bathroom and gets caught" would be better.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There are hardly words to express feelings on such an expression of evil. It will be interesting to hear further details on this crime. Almost sounds like kind of a Charles Manson type scene.

My prayers go out to the family and friends of these six victims. It is must be terrible for them. May the victims rest in peace.

Hopefully the police can make a quick arrest before they have a chance to do this again.

9. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Yeah, the criminal gets it in the end. Unfortunately, Central Floriduh is a magnet for unusual crimes. The stories are numerous. I wouldn't say that it's a dangerous area at all but there are some odd people. <raises hand> :D I believe that Floriduh still has no extradition agreement with another state, so you cannot be pulled from this state legally, if you've committed a crime elsewhere.

10. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Four people arrested

DELTONA -- Deputies arrested four people overnight on charges related to the brutal slayings of six people in a rented home, sources said early Sunday.

Bill Belanger, whose 22-year-old daughter Erin is believed to be among the victims, said deputies called him in Nashua, N.H., at 6:30 a.m. Sunday to inform him that they had arrested four men, three of whom have confessed to involvement with the crime.

The Volusia County Sheriff's Office released a statement saying it planned a 9 a.m. news conference to announce the four arrests but would give no other details.

On Saturday, sheriff's officials identified five of the victims found slain Friday morning in a rented home in a quiet Deltona neighborhood. They are: Anthony Vega, 34; Roberto "Tito" Gonzalez, 28, of New York; Francisco Ayo Roman, 30; Michelle Nathan, 19; and Jonathan Gleason, 18.

Erin Belanger has not been positively identified because her body was so badly disfigured, her father said.

Autopsies were performed on all six victims Saturday but no results were announced.

11. letterbox macrumors regular

over an XBox

DELTONA, Florida (CNN) -- Authorities in Deltona, Florida, have arrested and charged four people in the killings of six people in a rental home, Volusia County's sheriff said Sunday.

Sheriff Ben Johnson said the murder was organized by a man who was angry because he believed his Xbox video game system and some clothes had been stolen.

Alleged ringleader Troy Victorino, 27, has not confessed, but three teenagers Johnson said Victorino recruited to assist him have, Johnson said. The three were identified as Robert Cannon, 18; Jerone Hunter, 18; and Michael Salas, 18.

All are charged with first degree murder and armed burglary.

The Associated Press reported that Victorino has a criminal record.

The four killers, armed with aluminum baseball bats, forced their way into the home where the victims were in beds early Friday morning, and beat them to death -- just as Victorino planned, Johnson said.

The victims had no chance to arm themselves or fight back, he said. "There was no way they could really defend themselves."

All of the victims experienced severe trauma -- and one body was so badly mangled that it has not yet been officially identified, he said.

"This is the worst thing I've ever seen in my career," Johnson said.

Authorities have released the names of two of the victims -- Michelle Nathan, 19, and Jonathan Gleason, 18, both of Deltona.

Investigators believe the attack occurred about 1 a.m. Friday. The bodies were found Friday morning about 6:30 a.m. when a co-worker, alarmed because one of the people failed to show up for work, went to the home and found the blood-spattered crime scene.

Victorino and Hunter were taken in for questioning on Sunday. Hunter confessed, and led authorities to Cannon and Salas, said Johnson.

Johnson said he does not believe any other people were involved in the incident.

Copyright 2004 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is encouraging to hear of such quick police work. They should all plead guilty and save the families all the agony. Though they certainly didn't act like men during the murder. I pray that he victims never knew what hit them or they were gone quickly. Such a tragic evil act. Just can't imagine all this over an x-Box. :(

13. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Unfortunately, there was another attack in the same town at the Winn-Dixie grocery store. Three people were hurt, but I haven't heard any more yet.

14. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

My God that's terrible! I hope that the families can get some sort of comfort now, knowing that those responsible are in custody and will get what they have coming to them.

Mike

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Did this happen before or after the arrest of the four men mentioned above? This just brings more unneeded misery. Hopefully everyone will get the counseling that they need. All that I can do is send prayers. :(

16. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

My understanding is that the second incident happened after the arrest of the four.

[EDIT]
    The second incident occurred Saturday morning before the store opened. They entered through the rear of the store.
    [/EDIT]

17. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

That story is quite disturbing.

For someone to take an aluminum baseball bat into a house intending to beat another person to death with it... I just can't understand it. I mean you KNOW you're going to kill the person.. you KNOW you're going to jail... your life will be over. Why do it?

18. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Really the worst part of this whole story is that these six people lost their lives because the killer thought they stole his Xbox. That a $149 Microsoft product can be worth six lives is totally messed up.

19. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Well, the clothes too. How much are AnF or Hilfiger or Nautica or Phat Farm or Sean John clothes really worth?

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There is nothing listed that is worth the loss of a human life. The real punishment that these individuals receive won't really occur until after their death. There is no real adequate punishment for them here on Earth.

21. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Well, I'm guessing that whole death thing will be coming sooner rather than later. This level of brutality and apathy for human life gets you to the three legged chair real quick.

Holy ****! While you're there, check out the death row roster... with pictures of the convicts and everything...

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/activeinmates/deathrowroster.asp

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Oh yes.. 'member Ted Bundy? But that was a long time ago (1989?). But there's also a Bush in power in Florida..

23. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

I live about 10 miles from where this happened and though the national media seems to be playing up the Xbox and clothes thing, it doesn't appear to be that at all. The killers were squatting in a house owned by one of the victim's grandmother. She called the cops and got them evicted. The general consenses locally is that is what motivated the killings. It wouldn't motivate a normal person, but from the ringleader's history, there seems to be a lot of bad DNA there.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is still no reason for such useless brutality. If there was an aggressive criminal history then he should have either been in a mental institution or prison. There needs to be a return to toughness in these type of cases.

25. U2Rules! macrumors member

I'd say a mandatory death penalty needs to be put in place for anyone who commits a violent crime. End of story.