SIX teeth to be removed!

Discussion in 'Community' started by goodtimes5, Jul 14, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

So at 16 years of age, my dentist tells me I should get braces. But to get braces, I need to have six teeth removed. I really don't think braces are worth the six teeth, but then my teeth don't look all that great.

Hard decision for me.

2. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    do it, it'll be worth it later on. being an adult with braces is still abnormal, and you get stares all the time.

and make sure you're getting some good NOS... dont take any chances with those injections.

3. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

If the teeth are bad enough that they will wear poorly, go for it. You don't want your teeth putting pressure on each other, fracturing and causing heaps more problems later on. Plus, if the appearance is bad, you'll want to get these fixed eventually--

My advice: Do it while you're 16, on your parents insurance (assuming). It'd be a lot cheaper than paying for it yourself when you're an adult--

Dental problems suck, i've had two root canals (one with no anesthetic!) and need three more, plus a ton of crowns. Might need a bridge if one tooth can't be crowned. Not looking forward to any of it. But the more i put it off, the worse it gets...

paul

4. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

my teeth are hurting just *hearing* about your teeth... ow ow ow!

maybe get a second opinion from another few doctors? can't hurt, esp. for something so major.

when i had my wisdom teeth out, i didn't use NOS or anesthesia, just novacaine- i dont like the feeling of being out of control like that... needless to say the recovery was infinitely more painful... if i had to do it again, take whatever they wanna give you ;)

5. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

With such a big decision, I think getting a second opinion is sensible.

6. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Get the cosmetic stuff done now and get your teeth straight, you can always go in later for the bite adjustment (a VERY worthwhile expense) to normalize the bite and pressure on the teeth.

7. macrumors 68000

kgarner

Do it now, but be smater than I was and wear the stupid retainer like the orthodontist tells you to. While I think that my teeth are still better than they were before braces, they are definitely worse than right after i got them off.

8. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

watch it--sometimes dentists say you need braces when you don't. My teeth are pretty all right without braces, but they wanted to stick me with them just so they could make a few extra bucks. I politely declined and I'm glad I did. In addition to the price, I was wary of what kind of artistic license the dentist would take on my teeth and really didn't want them to become any worse. I am perfectly happy with my teeth, but if you think your case is a little more serious, then maybe it's worth consideration.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

oh boy

So I learned from my dentist that two of the six teeth are my bottom wisdom teeth. Those aren't even out yet. He wants to cut my gums to get to em.

Dentistry is not for the weak of heart.

10. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

HAHAHAHA, thats nothing, I have had 21 teeth removed so I could have braces including 4 impacted wisdom teeth. Braces are worth it, they can save you from big problems later in life as well as having your wisdom teeth removed early, having them taken out when your 30 is really bad because the roots develop and you don't heal as fast. I just had my wisdom teeth out its not that bad, your asleep and you get some insane pain medication so I have had few problems.

PS 2000th Post:) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :D :eek: :eek:

11. macrumors member

I feel your pain. I had 4 teeth pulled out for the same reason. I only had the novacane and it hurt like hell. Its pretty simple how the dentist does it. All he does it take some specialized pliars and a chisle and pulls and hits your tooth till he breaks it out of your jaw bone. The worst part is that you can feel and hear the root break away from the bone. At the end of it I was covered in sweat from the pain.

12. macrumors 68020

How on earth did you have 21 teeth removed?! I only have 28! (yes, I counted) You got braces on 7 teeth? 3 upper, 4 lower?

Either that, or you got braces on your "baby" teeth which seems stupid unless medically necessary.

On topic- My orthodontist wanted to remove 1 tooth to make room for the crowded lower front. Either that, or file down the enamel on the sides of each tooth in the lower front. I went with the latter. I'm glad I still have all my teeth, and my teeth arent' any more sensitive than they had been previously. Perhaps check with another orthodontist. 6 teeth leaves *a lot* of space, they only needed 2 millimeters for mine, yet wanted to remove a whole tooth. (Perhaps your orthodontist needs extra room because he's not very good?)

13. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    make sure your dentist is a good oral surgeon.. what started as a simple extraction, turned into a 4 hour nightmare.

when i had my bottom (un-erupted) wisdom taken out, they had to cut out a piece of my jaw, and a 1" incision, then drill the tooth into 4 parts, then chisel it out, then 4 stitches.
    i bled for 3 weeks, and my jaw hurts when it gets really hot.

14. macrumors 604

scem0

I'm going to reiterate what everyone else has already said.

Braces are something that you won't regret. I won't lie - they are a pain in the ass when they're in your mouth, but when they are off, you feel so much better about yourself.

Oh, and wear your retainer. I know someone who didn't wear theirs and their teeth are almost as crooked as before they got their braces. Eventually you wont have to wear it every night. Plus, the new retainers are 'invisalign' styled, so you don't have a huge hunk of metal in your mouth.

Sorry about having to get all those teeth pulled,

scem0

15. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Oh goodness yes. Wear your retainer! You wouldn't want to go through all that pain and suffering only to have the results disappear.

On the other hand--six teeth, two of those non-erupted wisdom teeth? That's a lot to go through for strictly cosmetic reasons. Get a second opinion if you need to, but make sure that the braces and the wisdom teeth removal are necessary to correct real problems, like: The wisdom teeth are in such a position in the x-rays that they'll definitely come in impacted, your bite is so messed up that it needs correcting, etc.

I got braces late, and was still wearing them when I went off to college, and I have to say that I'm still not sure that even the severe overbite they were correcting really justified all the pain and trouble, both physical and social. But you can bet I wore that retainer.

And despite the dentist who recommended that all my wisdom teeth be pulled because it was so statistically unlikely that they wouldn't give me problems, all four of them came in just fine, and haven't been any trouble at all.

If you do end up getting those wisdom teeth dug out, by all means take any drugs they want to give you. :eek:

16. macrumors regular

How bad should one's teeth be before braces are considered? I'm an adult without perfectly straight teeth, but they look OK and I've never felt bad about them. My family could never have afforded braces when I was growing up, but I'm actually glad we didn't/couldn't because I'm perfectly satisfied with what I have today.

Best of luck goodtimes5!

17. macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm one of those who didn't use the damn retainers. I had to have braces TWICE. That sucked.

I still don't use retainers, but have bonds behind my front teeth to hold them. Doesn't bother me at all, and I don't have to worry about no retainer.

18. macrumors 6502a

comictimes

wait... how did you manage that? I just counted, and not including my wisdom teeth (which haven't come in, and are scheduled to be pulled later this summer) I only have 28 teeth...

19. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

you're kidding right...21?! Honestly, I feel for you, man. I thought there were international treaties banning such things...

Oh well, I still don't see how you could be better off with braces sans 21 teeth.

20. macrumors member

I'm really hoping that he meant 12, not 21. That means that only 8 normal teeth are getting pulled, with the 4 wisdom teeth. "Only 8," blimey, that's still a lot of teeth.

I never had braces, and although my teeth are not straight, they don't look bad. If they don't look bad, and if it's not vital healthwise to get them, I wouldn't suggest braces. It makes your smile unique. But, you said they look pretty bad, so if I were you, my vanity would tell me to go and get them.

21. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

My point exactly. A lot of times, dentists will try to push braces on you when your teeth are just fine the way they are. There's something called "good enough."

...Especially when I was discussing the dentists' attempted extortion with some people and a few very attractive girls said that my teeth looked perfect. That was proof enough for me. Dentistry can shove it; if the opposite sex approves, that works for me. :D

22. Moderator emeritus

sushi

To find the solution that is right for you I would suggest that you try to envision yourself down the road when you are much older.

Are the 6 teeth more important than correctly working teeth (that is assuming the braces are to correct your bite)?

Being able to use your choppers correctly is important thoughout your life. The fewer problems with them the better.

Also, you should probably get a second opinion before you finalize your course of action.

On a side note, I will share a story with you. A long time ago in grade school I was playing kickball and fell breaking my front tooth on some concrete. Knocked off the bottom corner. Was in and out of the dentist office numerous times to fix it. Most solutions would not last.

BTW, have you seen the movie Marathon Man? Well, I know exactly how it feels to have a drill go through your tooth into your nerves without any pain killer. Let me tell you, it is a rush! :eek:

But I digress. Sorry...

Anyhow, I finally got a solution that works. The corner piece has been on for 30 some years now. But it is yellowing a bit and if you look closely you can see shadows of the two little wires between it and the tooth. Also it has a huge buildup on the backside, which I am now used to.

But everytime I see a new dentist, they always seem to want to improve or fix my tooth better. They also mention that the current solution won't last forever and I will need to have it fixed someday. And they have been saying this for the past 20 years or so, but yet the corner piece hangs in there.

Am I tempted to get it fixed? Yes, but then I just remember all of the problems in getting a solution that worked. So I politely decline and accept a less than perfect look.

First, get a second opinion before doing anything.

Second, after you weigh the options, do what is right for you. After all, you have to live with your solution. In some cases, the solution may be the lesser of two evils.

Good luck in your decision.

Sushi

23. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sage advice!

Ouch!

I feel for ya.

Sushi

24. macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I had 3 wisdom teeth removed. IT was an upleasant experience but not as unpleasant has having them come in.

Can they not stretch your pallet? My nephew is having that done along with braces so his teeth will fit properly in his mouth. He is 11.

25. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    go get a second opinion 6 seems like a lot of teeth to remove