Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple earlier this week introduced the sixth-generation iPod touch, featuring a new A8 chip and M8 motion coprocessor, 8-megapixel rear-facing iSight camera and Bluetooth 4.1, in six colors: blue, gold, pink, red, silver and space gray. 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and 128GB models are available through the Apple Store and Apple Online Store for $199, $249, $299 and $399 respectively.

iPod-touch-6th-Gen-800x600.jpg
Apple's new sixth-generation iPod touch in blue and pink

The video below submitted by MacRumors reader Jacob Zacks takes a closer look at the new iPod touch colors and features. The existing silver color from 2012 has been complimented with space gray and gold models that match the new MacBook lineup, while the new blue and pink colors are much brighter and deeper than the fifth-generation iPod touch. The sixth color is (PRODUCT)RED and remains unchanged.

iPods have declined in sales and popularity since the iPhone was released, but the portable media players still fill a niche and were long overdue for an update. The sixth-generation iPod touch's most important new feature is the jump to an A8 chip, which delivers up to 10 times faster graphics performance and ensures the device will be capable of running iOS 9 and future software updates.

A recent benchmark test clocked the new iPod touch's A8 chip at 1.10GHz per core, slower than the 1.39GHz per core the iPhone 6 runs at, and confirmed it has 1GB of RAM. The new iPod touch is also the first iOS device to include the Bluetooth 4.1 specification, which is more reliable and offers less interference with LTE bands, improved power management and better data transfer.

iPod-touch-6th-Gens-800x371.jpg
Apple's new iPod touch no longer has a loop attachment on the back

Whether this is the last significant update to the iPod lineup remains to be seen, but for now the iPod touch lives on with a vibrant lineup of new colors and under-the-hood improvements. Apple Stores have begun receiving in-store stock of the new iPod touch this week, with Personal Pickup now available in the U.S., and all models and storage capacities currently ship within 1 business day on the Apple Online Store.

Article Link: A Closer Look at Apple's New iPod Touch Colors and Features

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Chamfered edges?

if so ouch! they would always dig into my hand and irritated on my iPhone 5S. I much prefer the smoother edges of the old iPod and the iPhone 6 model.

Reactions: AleXXXa

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I wish they added phone capabilities to the Touch. That would be a truly cheap iPhone.
Adding the antenna and LTE bands, plus support for the current carriers in multiple countries, and included sim card slot will raise the price. Vibration is needed well. Plus specs wise the iPod touch is missing a lot of other things the 6 does have. There is a reason why the iPhone cost $200 w/ contract ($600 in general)

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Chamfered edges?

if so ouch! they would always dig into my hand and irritated on my iPhone 5S. I much prefer the smoother edges of the old iPod and the iPhone 6 model.
Personally I don't like how the iPhone 6's edges really like my hair and will hold onto it as long as possible.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Adding the antenna and LTE bands, plus support for the current carriers in multiple countries, and included sim card slot will raise the price. There is a reason why the iPhone cost $200 w/ contract ($600 in general)

While those items cost more they don't cost an additional $400 (price difference between a off contract 16gb iPhone and a 16gb iPod Touch)

They could easily have gone the iPad route and added in the SIM slot and GPS for $129 more (which is still huge markup)

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I must say that these new iPods really drive home just how overpriced the iPhone is.

One is paying a huge premium on the iPhone for cellular capability and GPS. Perhaps they're worth it, but I feel little incentive to upgrade my iPhone these days.

I think that if Apple wish to sustain a two year upgrade cycle for the iPhone, they will have to lower the price, as the new features simply aren't compelling enough.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
I must say that these new iPods really drive home just how overpriced the iPhone is.

One is paying a huge premium on the iPhone for cellular capability and GPS. Perhaps they're worth it, but I feel little incentive to upgrade my iPhone these days.

I think that if Apple wish to sustain a two year upgrade cycle for the iPhone, they will have to lower the price, as the new features simply aren't compelling enough.
You're paying for more than GPS and cellular capabilities though.

Put an iPod touch 5th or 6th gen next to an iPhone and compare the displays side by side.

The iPod touch's display is absolutely terrible in comparison. The whole screen has a noticeably yellow tint to it.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
While those items cost more they don't cost an additional $400 (price difference between a off contract 16gb iPhone and a 16gb iPod Touch)

They could easily have gone the iPad route and added in the SIM slot and GPS for $129 more (which is still huge markup)

The iPad and iPod are the result of the iPhone so I would imagine much more R&D cost are spent first on the iPhone and some of that same tech then moves to the iPad/iPod.

Reactions: myscrnnm

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

Based on the spec sheets alone, the new iPod touch lacks a lot more than just cellular capability and GPS.
The iPod touch screen is smaller (4" vs. 4.7" and 5.5"), lower resolution and lower quality (not LED-backlit, contrast ratio significantly inferior to iPhone 6).
The iPod touch doesn't have Touch ID.
The iPod touch has no NFC compatibility / and doesn't support Apple Pay.
The iPod touch battery life is 40% less than the iPhone.
The A8 processor in the iPod touch is a slower version of the one in iPhone 6 (1.10GHz per core instead of 1.39GHz ).
The camera in the iPod touch has no optical nor digital image stabilization. It also doesn't have a sapphire crystal lens cover.

I've thought about switching to an iPod touch myself because I don't care for the size of the iPhone 6, but the lack of Touch ID, NFC compatibility and lower battery life are a deal breaker for me.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I wish they added phone capabilities to the Touch. That would be a truly cheap iPhone.

Adding the antenna and LTE bands, plus support for the current carriers in multiple countries, and included sim card slot will raise the price. There is a reason why the iPhone cost $200 w/ contract ($600 in general)

In order to create an entry level phone, adding a cell antenna and sim card is not required. All that is required is to upgrade FaceTime Audio so that you can call any number, not just an iphone number. If they made this one simple change (Google Voice has it, as an example), then instantly the iPod Touch becomes a wifi Phone instead of a Cellular Phone. In many countries, including the US, wifi is widespread enough to make this viable option as an entry level option, especially for kids.

It makes no sense to me that Apple has not done this already, but hey they are making tons of money and I am not, so they clearly know something that I don't.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
You're paying for more than GPS and cellular capabilities though.

Put an iPod touch 5th or 6th gen next to an iPhone and compare the displays side by side.

The iPod touch's display is absolutely terrible in comparison. The whole screen has a noticeably yellow tint to it.

I have an iPhone 6+ and an iPhone 6... if you put them side by side the 6+ has a slightly greener/bluer tint than the iPhone 6 (white is really, really close to pure white on my 6). Just sayin...

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Based on the spec sheets alone, the new iPod touch lacks a lot more than just cellular capability and GPS.
The iPod touch screen is smaller (4" vs. 4.7" and 5.5"), lower resolution and lower quality (not LED-backlit, contrast ratio significantly inferior to iPhone 6).
The iPod touch doesn't have Touch ID.
The iPod touch has no NFC compatibility / and doesn't support Apple Pay.
The A8 processor in the iPod touch is a slower version of the one in iPhone 6 (1.10GHz per core instead of 1.39GHz ).
The camera in the iPod touch has no optical nor digital image stabilization. It also doesn't have a sapphire crystal lens cover.

I've thought about switching to an iPod touch myself because I don't care for the size of the iPhone 6, but the lack of Touch ID, NFC compatibility and lower battery life are a deal breaker for me.

I believe the iPod Touch also lacks the vibration option.

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON

I would say battery capacity, more than battery life. The battery may be smaller, but it doesn't have cellular capacities, and wifi uses a great deal less battery. I could go up to over a week between charges on my old 4th generation iPod touch, where my iPhone 5s has to be charged up every night (and that's without even listening to any music some days).

Reactions: ilovemyibook

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't think Apple ever intended the iPod Touch to be a cheap iPhone. My guess is we're getting a new 4" phone this year to replace the 5C. That will be the cheap phone.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.