Size matters?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SpankyPenzaanz, Oct 2, 2006.

1. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

its whatcha do with it that counts (at least...thats what my girlfriend assures me)

and one of the posters at the bottom has it right. The 360's power bricks is huge, and weighs a ton. I dunno about the Wii (i imagine it has a lil brick as well?) and the PS3 has its' built in, so add that to the dimensions and i would imagine the 360 is as much as the PS3?

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Honestly I don't think it does...my friend tried to sell me one that being a reason why the GBM is outselling X360 in Japan, but I'm not buying it...size of a home console is not super important to me, assuming its not bigger then then an Xbox..any bigger its starts to be hard to put under some TVs

Not to say I like it it being big, I surely look at the Wii as being a great plus of it being tiny

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was bowled over by the size of the iMac. I'll probably cry when I see the Wii for the first time. I'm a fan of progression making things smaller. I've just cleared out my old tube TV, my old laptop etc for a nice clean desk. No way any console equal or bigger or uglier than a 360 is going to infiltrate it :D

I tell you what though, I absolutely love Microsoft and Sony's ego with their consoles. In the age of the console being part of the home entertainment system it sure isn't designed to put anything on top of it. I could likely fit a freeview box or little DVD player on top of the Wii, the PS2 etc. But these 2 monoliths? are they even designed for a multi-gadget system?

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

It's funny they used NES as the benchmark machine. I say that because the Famicom (Japanese NES) was more than half the size.

Staying somewhat on topic, I saw the slim PS2 for the first time last week in a store demo cabinet. I can't believe how small they make that console now, I couldn't believe my eyes. :eek:

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea I was pretty impressed by the slim size of it! But when it's still £100 (price of Xbox here without HDD) you can't help but laugh.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, the slim PS2 is really small but still got the weight;)
    The original Xbox was on the big side but still did what it had to. Sega G. was a small console but it does not matter as long as it continues to pump the games out.

Bless

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The 360 doesnt look that bad does it? I think its kinda nice, better than the PS3 at any rate (although i love the slot loading). I think the reason the design them they way they do is because they ARE (supposed to be) the entertainment centre.

Not to mention it shouldnt' be THAT much harder to make the Wii small, afterall it is a turbocharged cube and the cube wasn't all that big to begin with. Its like a powered up slimline version :D

9. SpankyPenzaanz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I liked the lunchbox design of the cube ... and will there be colors to choosee from in the case of wii or willit be all white (it will go nice with my imac anyway)

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For years I ridiculed the handle on the Cube but it actually came in use once. Carried it around uni trying to find a projector for our big Smash Bros tournament. Pity mine went up a dress size with the GBA player.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've used the handle plenty of times, but never transporting it places, just lifting it to clean and stuff. It is really handy :D I say the Cube is still the best designed system ever made. The Wii is lookin' nice though.

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Not important to YOU, but to the Japanese size means a lot. In a country where they build their house to have beds and dresses become part of the walls to conserve what little space the average Japanese apartment has, size is everything. Have you seen their books? Even their game guides are small.

You have to remember that the Japanese consume a lot of useless **** (even more so than Americans), so the smaller the better. How many different chibi anime figures are snatched up on a yearly basis? TONS.

Though, I don't think this kind of thing makes so much difference, it's simply that the MS consoles don't have the games that appeal to their gamers...

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I like the Xbox 360 design. I think the ring of light (or death ;) ) is genius, so much so Western digital's my book drives look strikingly similar.

My only issue with the 360 is the power cable from the brick. It's not really long enough to allow you to hide it easily. An extra foot of cable would have been appreciated.

Other than that I love the faceplates ( M$ the only ones seemingly allowing you to customise your unit), the controllers are the 'best' i've ever used on any console. Everything is in the best possible ergonomic position.

The only thinking lacking for a japanese audience is the games, which in fairness to Microsoft they continue to try... lost odyssey and blue dragon et.all should help sales over there....

14. auyongtc macrumors member

Well said about the size issues here in Japan. Just a quick glance (nah, I'm not posting photos this time) on my standard-size studio apartment unit here in Tokyo, you'll understand how much they would appreciate smaller size equipments. Haven't you heard? There's even a washing machine + air-cond appliance available here now :eek:

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah but Blue Dragon is already out. http://newklear.com/viewdownload.php?id=3, it's an old indie game. Funny too, the new Blue Dragon (360) contacted the creator and told him to cease and desist working on Blue Dragon 2; the ******.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Except when you consider that the XBox 360's power supply is larger than the Wii (volume-wise, it's true), and the PS3's is integrated. XBox 360 and Wii put together are larger than anything, and the 360's power supply is basicly a Wii ;)

17. SpankyPenzaanz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

it(ps3) about the same size as a x360 when you consider the power brick+console

Attached Files:

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Ah, but add an HD DVD player onto that 360, incorporate a power source isnide the unit, and no, the 360 is quite a bit larger.

Sorry, not buying this argument. I'm also not buying the "360 is cheaper" argument. If it doesn't have all the same features out of the box, and they have to add them (wi-fi, hi-def drive) then when all is said and done, the 360 could cost as much as 748. Quite a bit more than the hi-end.

At this point, after the PS3 is gaining momentum and good press, people are reaching to try and talk crap about it.

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

the original XBOX had this design, thusly the 360 is a continuation of that "Green, Red, Orange" lighted ring.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think the point is that some people don't want the extras so they don't feel they should pay more for a system where they are compulsory. 360 is cheaper if you don't need a HD video player, a wifi adapter etc.

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think we've been through all this before. $299 < $499. It's cheaper.

If you add a bunch of accessories then it's equal price or more expensive, well duh.

That's almost as bad as saying "if I buy a PS3 and an HD-DVD player then it costs more then a 360 plus the HD-DVD accessory"... duh. It's also a pointless thing to argue or bring up. Obviously if you add more it's going to be more, nobody is saying otherwise.

22. SpankyPenzaanz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

ahh but i don't care for hd or bluray...and i have never been an early adopter of untested new technologies. I have yet to see a movie on either side that i want or already don't have. Why would i spend extra money for the same movie? I know an argument can be made for resolution - I have seen standard dvds on a 54"HDTV projector and they look great to me. I understand the argument about x360+hddvd being comprable in price w/ps3 but I dont buy the bulls*** from sony about the ps3 being a computer. Then my good ol casio digital watch I bought for $10 is a computer(I am being fescisous) Considering I don't have money for either till spring. I will just wait and see what they offer and buy one to go along with my wii.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

No, the point here is that if you're going to compare size compared to features it's a bogus comparison. It's like comparing a car's CD player to an iPod. Same basic purpose, but not the same features, thus it's a ****** comparison. I don't care if you're an early adopter or not.

The point is is that people are stretching and trying to grasp whatever they can now to slam the PS3 now that there's been good press for it.

24. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well saying it's a bad comparison because it doesn't include a separate accessory is even worse.

The PS3 is big, the biggest PlayStation ever made... possibly the biggest console ever. So what? Some people might find that negative, some won't, but doesn't mean it's false by any means.

25. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I'm not disagreeing that it's a very large console, what I'm saying is that the 360 will be just as large, or larger with the same features. It's a moot comparison, really.