Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Given the inexpensive cost of storage - internal and external - I think it is time for me to start ripping sonme of my DVD content onto HDs so I can better travel with it. I was preparing to rip some TV series (Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development, The Wire, etc.) and some movies (The Big Lebowski, LOTR, etc.) when it occurred to me: I really have no idea how much HD space some/all of these things will take up until I have actually done it. By then, I may have wasted a lot of time putting them on the wrong sized HD for my needs (eg putting half of a TV series onto a HD only to need to complete it on a second drive).

So, I thought I would start a thread where people who have already ripped their content onto a HD can post the size of the file as a sort of "heads up" to others who want to rip their content as well. I am generally thinking about ripping for viewing with the DVD player on my Macs and will post accordingly, so if you have ripped a smaller file for use on a iPod or iPhone, please note that. Feel free to add what app you used to rip, as well.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
If you are simply ripping, each file could take up to 8GB. Encoding the DVDs will put each one around 2-3GB

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Encoding the DVDs will put each one around 2-3GB

It sounds like you are talking about using Handbrake for a protable device. How does that effect the A/V quality when watching something on a laptop monitor (vs. an iPod/iPhone sized monitor)?

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
As geoffreak said, bare rips will be 4-8 gig depending on the disc. if you encode them for a device, they will be smaller. I have been doing movies in the Apple Universal setting of Handbrake and most are 1-2 gig. When I was using the AppleTV preset, I was getting some in the 3 gig range.

I wouldn't get anything smaller than 1 TB. They are not much more than a 320 or 500 and there's a good chance you'll get hooked and rip everything. If you are looking for a portable drive, I'd get a 500 gig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.