size of iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Feb 21, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I have years of photo's on iPhoto. I'd like to archive them off my hard drive for safe keeping. Is there a way to easily find out how any megs of photo files I have, so I know how large of an external hard drive or dvd's I'd need to do the storing??

Thanks.

Frank

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

By default, the library is kept in your Pictures folder. Select iPhoto Library and press COMMAND-I to check the size. COMMAND is the key with the Apple on it. :)

3. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

have your library selected then click the info button on the bottom left.

Attached Files:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I find the Info Button always understates the library's actual size though. It's 120MB out for me. :eek:

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I assume that's because it's telling you the actual size of your library without adding all the data files and thumbnails which are in the "iPhoto Library" file.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's what I've always figured. iPhoto only measures the final picture without originals, thumbnails and sundries. :p

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, I have 1.59 GB on the "open Apple"-I (I remember when it was Open Apple<g>) and 1.3 GB when I use the information button from iPhoto.

Lots of stuff. 1335 photos. NOW, what's the best method to copy it to either some HUGE KeyChain disk or an external HD for safe keeping. I do have them on a bunch of SD camera disks that I took them with, but I'd like to reuse those cards. Do I copy-paste the iPhoto Library folder from Pictures/iPhoto Library, or do I have to copy-paste the library from iPhoto itself?? Or doesn't it make a difference.

Thanks.

Frank

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I find the best method is to simply copy the iPhoto Library folder. You can paste it in to any Mac's Picture library to restore. :cool:

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Any thoughts on a way to store all of these so I don't lose them all? Plus, I'd like to use the SD disks that they are all on.

I was thinking of an external hard drive?? Any ideas.

Guess I could use an iPod too. I have a 15 gig original iPod. Or I could get a new iPod that does photo's and video. Seems a bit expensive to "store" pics, but I could have the added attraction of viewing them too when I travel, but I do take my Mac with me everywhere I go.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thank.

Frank