Size of iTunes library smaller on a 30G iPod? Size of photo collection?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by micha10589, Nov 27, 2005.

1. micha10589 macrumors member

micha10589

Hi, I'm thinking of buying an iPod but can't quite decide whether to get the 30 or 60 gig version.

My iTunes library is around 20 GB on a 60 GB hard drive. Is it possible that the size is a bit different on a 30 GB iPod, actually smaller?

What makes this decision harder is that I am planning on putting my photo collection on it which is about 5 GB. Anyone can also give a number as to how much space this takes on the iPod? I am not planning on putting the original files on it, but just the ipod sizes, so it should be much smaller, right?

I know about the battery advantage with the 60 version...

Thanks!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If you're tossing up, get the 60 gigger. Yes it's a tiny bit larger (still smaller than my 3G 15GB with 4 times the storage!!) but you have all the extra space you want and longer battery life to boot.

I think it's a good rule that if you can afford the best, most expensive item of the two you are deciding on, get it and future-proof yourself for as long as possible. It's a larger initial outlay but the extra space means that it will last you longer and give you more flexibility.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Don't forget that formatting on the iPod really only leaves about 27gig availalbe on the 30gig iPod, not much space left after you load up both your music and photos. You would also run into problems if you ever tried to put some videos on there as well. I would go with the 60gig, take all those worries away.