Size of unix shell

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ooagentbender, Jan 18, 2003.

1. ooagentbender macrumors member

I know this isn't the best place to post this but you guys are always speedy with good answers so here goes. Anyone know how much hard drive space a unix shell would take up on my PeeCee, preferably a free version of one if anyone knows. Thanks all.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Linux?

Whilst it is reasonably simple to get a Unix shell (csh) running under Windows it will not really feal like Unix unless you have a reasonable number of the standard tools available as well (ls, mv, wc, grep, vi...). You can do a minimal Linux install to less than 100Mb if you just want a command shell. Or you could look at CygWin who made it a goal to port a load of the GNU toolset to Windows. Or take a look at some of the live CDs you can get for Linux .

Linux Distro with Live CDs: http://www.gentoo.org/

Cygwin server seems to be offline, should be at http://www.cygwin.com

3. ooagentbender thread starter macrumors member

Ok a hundred megs would be really good, whats the name and place to download that linux. I don't mind having a dual boot on my comp so forget windows.

4. jaguarx macrumors regular

100mb? You can cut most distros down to that, but it's going to be a pretty steep learning curve if you're not familiar with the shell.
    I'd reccomend Mandrake, go expert mode and cut out pretty much everything in the install, you'll get a little under 100Mb.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

WinLinux

You could also try this http://www.winlinux.net/2003/ It lets you install Linux on a Windows Partition (the whole install just looks like a massive file) without partitioning and so on. You might be able to get it down to 100Mb by removing X and all the window managers and the like.

6. ooagentbender thread starter macrumors member

The winlinux looks interesting but a little large for my taste. I need something small that gives me the internet capability of a *nix so that I can work on breaking into my dummy server ( I'm trying to learn a thing or two about security so I can help my school out). If anyone has any further ideas they are welcome.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Well, if you are not familiar with Unix how do you expect to break into your dummy server? :)

I leanred unix back in 1994 using a book called Teach Yourself UNIX in 21 days. Might sound silly, but it was a nice crash course. Of course I had UNIX account at the comp sci dept in school and I spent a lot of time discovering the tools, directory structure, and read tons of MAN pages (manuals for all the commands).

I would recommend finding a book like that for Linux since it is the most available system close to UNIX out there. Read, read, download or buy CDs of a Linux distribution and install it on your machine. Might be a good idea to use that Dummy server to install Linux and get familiar with it before trying to "break" into it.

All of that is assuming that you meant a UNIX shell account, not just a unix shell-like application. There is always a DOS prompt for that ;)

8. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I just checked my PC - Cygwin is about 20MB installed.

What do you want to do with your shell? I think Cygwin is great - I use it at home and at work. It doesn't have all the Unix tools, but that's OK, at home I use a REAL Unix machine 90% of the time - my iBook :)

But seriously, Cygwin is good. Oh, and download Emacs for Windows, too, it's also good.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This won't suit you, ooagentbender, but in case anyone needs a full-fledged Unix development environment under Windows, the MKS Toolkit offers emulation of most Unix facilities. Their packages are excellent (I've used them), but they cost hundreds of dollars or more.