Discussion in 'Community' started by wwidgirl, May 17, 2004.

1. wwidgirl macrumors member

Feb 23, 2004
    I just started skateboarding and I want to know how long it usually takes to get good and how long it should take for me to learn how to ollie properly!!!!!!!! I just need a time frame to see how I compare to others. I've been riding to school while carrying my powerbook and I"m kind of freaked out I'm going to fall and damage it.

I'm loving skating though and it's such a great workout. I wish I had started when I was younger!! I Could have been pro by now.
  2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is your PowerBook in a padded case? It oughta be. No matter how good you get on your board, you'll still fall sometimes. Pavement crack, pedestrian not watching where he's going, or something else that's not your fault. You'll recover. Your PowerBook might not.
  3. faustfire macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    It all depends on how much you put into it. I film and edit a line of instructional skate videos for 411 called first step. Check out 1st step "getting started" for a dope ollie how to. I think they sell them at best buy now, or get one at your local shop, or go to Skate for Life.
  4. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2004
    in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
    used to skate
    admittedly when I was in middle school and early high school
    took me a week or two
    I am anal and obsessive compulsive so not a good comparison
  5. wwidgirl thread starter macrumors member

Feb 23, 2004
    yes yes of course. padded case. Crumpler wee bee to keep it safe.
  6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    I wouldn't recommend doing tricks when you have your powerbook strapped onto you. :) just ride. go to a good spot for skating and set it down first.

you can't put a time on how long it will take to learn how to ollie. some pick it up in a couple weeks and others pick it up in a year or 2. you will try it millions of times before you get it right so be patient. once you get it you need to improve it. I have known how to ollie for well over 10 years and I still find new ways to improve or tweak it.

it all comes down to having fun in the end. the great thing is that it will change the way you look at everything. non skaters see a bench or a steep bank and just see it for that. skaters look at everything to see if its skateable and if so how to skate it. I think I have gotten as far with it as I have because I have a different approach. I make the unskateable skateable.
  7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    I wanted to add that its good to see more girls getting into skateboarding. its a very stylish/graceful activity and who knows those things better then women. :)

best of luck with it wwidgirl. if you need advice don't hesitate to ask.
  8. wwidgirl thread starter macrumors member

Feb 23, 2004
    I really enjoy skating. It makes me want to go outside. So much funner than walking! And it definitely makes me look at things different. Like if I see nice flat terrain I start drooling.

I can do a weak ollie as long as I'm not moving but I'm still too scared to really give it a try moving. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be decent.

9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    I used to skate in high school, not anymore though.
    Since most tricks are based on an ollie (kick flips, heel flips, 360 flips, pressure flips, big spins, etc.) once you get ollies down, it'll become easier after that :)

Grinds are also a lot of fun, but make sure you have trucks that can survive them (i.e. not thunders, get indies or something)
  10. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    All about your peers...

I have found that the people who pick up tricks the fastest are those who are skating with/being taught by people who know how to do them really well. I spent months trying to kickflip when I was starting out, and no matter how much I practiced it was always a tossup whether I would land it or not. When I started skating with someone who could stick it every time, I started sticking them routinely in about a week. If you're teaching yourself, you'll never really know if it's better to move you foot an inch this way or that, or change the angle of something, etc.

So much of skating though is about endless repetition. It's gotta be the hardest sport to get really good at.