Skeptical emails? Check out scamdex.com

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by slooksterPSV, May 26, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Hey, I just thought I should let everyone know of: http://www.scamdex.com/ because my mom and I received some ALMOST convincing emails saying that we'd get $XXX,XXX,XX of money if we sent them our bank account information - from the start i thought this was a scam and always did, but my mom was convinced it wasn't. She went to the ICBC-Bank site that the email told her about and a popup asking if you wanted to block popups from an IP address showed up, it was google.com, now wait, Google.com + pop-ups? Anyone see the problem there? Google is a search engine w/ 0 popups because the searching and advertising they do has no popups. Now I did a WHOIS on this address and it was a clearview.com website or something, that's not google. So I ping'ed www.google.com and got the real IP and did a WHOIS and found the REAL google information. Next I searched for Icbc-bank phishing and found scanmdex.com and that told us it was a scam. You guys should use this resource to see if any emails seems soooooo good.

Right now, you guys should learn the Network Utility and the terminal commands for whois and ping cause you can get tons of information that you need to verify a site or sites. I just wanted to drop a warning to you guys on this.

Remember: http://www.scamdex.com/

Mods, if you have a problem with this topic please contact me directly, I feel that this is a must have for all persons who have email accounts. I'm not advertising this site, just giving everyone a heads up on scams.

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Speaking of that, how do you do WHOIS and pings?

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Open Terminal ( Macintosh HD->Applications->Utilities->Terminal.app )
    Type in: whois ip_address or web_url

A whole flood of content will come back after about 15-30 seconds.

For pings type in: ping ip_address or web_url - to stop the ping press CTRL+C
    This will tell you how long your requests are taking to be received and sent back.

Otherwise, use Network Utility and there are dialogs to help you with whois, ping, and a variety of other network tools.

EDIT: My terminal is transparent with green text and the Network Utility is shown.

Attached Files: