Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new photo obtained by cnBeta [Google Translate] (via Mac Otakara [Google Translate]) allegedly shows off what appears to be the packaging of the upcoming iPhone 6s Plus. The photo depicts a standard white iPhone box, similar to what Apple has used as packaging for previous phones.

55de855bf0844.jpg

The box is unfolded and has what appears to be a gold iPhone 6s Plus on the front, a gold Apple logo on the bottom and "iPhone 6s Plus" written on the side. The "S" is within a small square, as is standard on iPhone "S" packaging. The box also shows off what looks to be a brand new wallpaper featuring a black and gold fish or flower.

Additionally, cnBeta says that the iPhone 6s' battery capacity will be down to 1715 mAh from the iPhone 6's 1800 mAh, while the iPhone 6s Plus will be down to 2750 mAh from the iPhone 6 Plus' 2910 mAh. Mac Otakara says they've also heard the battery capacity for both models will be lower, lining up with earlier rumors that the battery capacity in the phones would be smaller. If true, it likely indicates Apple has increased the battery efficiency of both "S" phone models in order to make up for the smaller battery capacity.

However, it's unclear how authentic the photos of the iPhone 6s Plus packaging are. The material of the box appears to be a thinner material than current iPhone packaging and displays an unfamiliar wallpaper that has not appeared in any iOS 9 betas thus far.

Apple is expected to announce both the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus at a September 9 event. The Cupertino company is also expected to finally unveil its new Apple TV with a new touch-based remote and full App Store. New rumors indicate the event could be held at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco.

Article Link: Sketchy Photo of Claimed 'iPhone 6s Plus' Box Surfaces Alongside Rumor of Smaller Battery

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
anyone wanna do a google image search on that fish picture? I'd be surprised if it wasn't somewhere else online

electorate

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Why don't they just improve the battery efficiency in the processor, AND leave the current size battery in? Make the back of the phone flush with the camera lens in order to have more room for the battery. You'd be able to lay it on a table with no wobbling, have more battery life, and probably easier to hold phone with the added bit of thickness.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Now why would it have a smaller battery? Why not keep the same battery, that way we have even better battery life?

cause every component occupying every square micro-meter has physical dimensions and attributes that can be adjusted in order to produce what Apple believes to be the best phone offered at the moment? everything requires tradeoffs, and that usually means e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e in the 'i personally ABHOR the tradeoffs [X] makes' camp seem to be the most vocal demographic in the known universe?

1 day.. we will have substantial gains in battery life..

you mean like every day of your life including this very moment?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
On the one hand that flower looks out of
Place. On the other hand I imagine apple would want a clear distinction between S and standard variant boxes, since they'll presumably continue selling current models. This also isn't the first we have heard about battery size. If force touch ends up causing smaller battery, all I can say is I hope it's worth it. I wasn't a believer in fingerprint scanners until I used Apple's, so they may wow me.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
cause every component occupying every square micro-meter has physical dimensions and attributes that can be adjusted in order to produce what Apple believes to be the best phone offered at the moment? everything requires tradeoffs, and that usually means e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e in the 'i personally ABHOR the tradeoffs [X] makes' camp seem to be the most vocal demographic in the known universe?

If this does turn out to be the case, here is hoping force touch is worth that trade off. I've never used it so I can't judge, but the things I hear aren't as positive as, say, when fingerprint scanning was introduced.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Fingers crossed for 32gb base model

now there's something that A) matters and B) is achievable here and now. you want a week long battery charge? gonna have to wait. fuel cell batteries made news this week, butit's still future tech. more storage and the ability to not be greedy (cough iCloud, cough) IS a present-day reality.

you want a two-day charge? you'll have to sacrifice something - like camera sensor quality - or - no '''''innovation'''' like touch ID or force touch. the battery you desire is a couple years off. stop whining about how your obsessive phone use doesn't get you through the day. or buy one that will lose OS support and/or truly integrated/useful features, and buy the android that lasts longer. so you can get your 76th round of candy crush in...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.