Skiers or Snowboarders?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by public enemy, Sep 22, 2005.

1. public enemy macrumors regular

public enemy

Yeah yeah yeah, another which are you thread, but thought it would be cool to see (if you ride) who snow skied or snowboards?
    *If you want to post specs on your gear....go ahead*

I am a skier for over 10 years now. My pieces of lumber I strap on- K2 Public Enemies 179 (04/05) & Line Mike Nicks 178 (04/05)

2. Diavilo1 macrumors member

Die Hard Skier all the way! All my friends are boarders which is such an image thing. I love being able to do all the hills (terrain parks, glades, moguls etc) Ahh, I can't wait. My equipment is like everything else I have, old and used hard! Thats the next thing on the replacement list right after a new computer! Dang it, now i can't stop thinking about winter and snow!

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Snowboarder for 2 years now, I mostly rent but I will be buying a board soon.

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

5. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I have been a snowboarder for about 6 years now...I would never consider anything else...I have lived in Mammoth CA and in Salt Lake City UT to live and shred...It is more than a hobby it is a lifestyle...it will change your life (Point Break reference ;))

6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

ski.

i'm against snowboarding in principle. no activity would be complete without a nice degree of elitism.

snowboarder need to learn that the goal of being on the slopes to to travel downward, not sit in a giant group across the try.

(note: i only take issue with newbie boarders, as they are most guilty of the snowboarder annoyances.)

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Definitely ski. I never realized how annoying snowboarders could be until I skied at Alta, where they don't allow boarders...it was a little slice of heaven.

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

What exactly do you guys find annoying about snowboarders?

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

hmmm, i'm sensing a bit of anti-snowboarder mentality here... what's up with that? :( i know newbie boarders fall often and present an immediate obstacle to get around, but, believe me, that is not intentional. if i congregate with friends on a run, i try to do it off to the side out of the way of general traffic.

i used to ski but never really enjoyed it (even when i lived in france and had easy access to the alps nearly every weekend in the winter).

i switched to snowboarding a couple of years ago and really like it. it was difficult at first, but i've improved to the point where i don't fall so much and can navigate to most places on the mountain without running into anything or anyone. :p

i ride goofy and have a burton feelgood board (149), lexa bindings, and ruler boots. may upgrade the bindings this year as my lexa's didn't hold up too well in the past couple of seasons...

my pet peeve: skiers and boarders who run up on your board with their own skis/boards while waiting in line at a a lift. get your sh*t off my gear - my board was expensive and i don't need you to scratch it up, nor do i need you to trip me up when i try to move. i hate that. :mad:

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Some of it is the sitting in groups in the middle of the slope...then there's the 360s that come within an inch of my head, and the attitude of entitlement that oozes out of them. You know the rule about how downhill people have the right of way? That doesn't seem to apply to them.

I don't mean to malign all snowboarders...there are a lot of them that are just fine...in fact, most of them are fine. But it's a significant percentage that act like jerks, and there are enough people on slopes that there's almost always a few of them around.

11. public enemy thread starter macrumors regular

public enemy

Standing in the lift line, and the snowboarders all around are stomping on there boards to get the snow off! I can understand to get it out of bindings, but on the top layer of the board!? The stomping noise is one of the most annoying sounds to hear, and when you have 5-6 doing it at the same time! Thats why skiers have poles with sharp tips! WOOHAHAHA

12. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

well most skiers dont understand that the terrain park is not for just cruising through and rolling over the jumps and screwing them up...so that is one of the main reasons for the attitude and if you wern't roling the jumps and ruining the lips then you wouldn't almost get hit!

13. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Ski, all the way. I tried snowboarding a few times to understand why they make it their goal to annoy me... couln't find any answers, so I went back to the real sport: skiing.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sorry...I don't go in the terrain park unless there aren't any snowboarders there. It's the ones that come shooting out from the trees off the banked edges on the main runs that get to me.

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Skier. I'm renting these days but I have my eye on a pair of Salomon Screams.

I have nothing against boarders. There are good and bad boarders and skiers both. My biggest peeve is probably people who want to ride by themselves up the lift, thus making the wait longer for everyone.

16. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Snowbard all the way, though I'd like to be able to ski as well. Nothing beats screaming down a fresh off-piste run, tidal wave of powder spray behind you and some mad music from your iPod. Awesome.

My equipment = Burton Bullet wide 169cm, Flow Bindings, Forum Devun Walsh boots, Bonfire pants, Headworx Jacket, Oakley Gogs.

Snowboarding/skiing = the best thing ever.

The rivalry between skiers and boarders is a crock of sh*t. By the nature of the two, you go down the hill differently. But there's a difference, so people feel the need to bitch about whichever group they're not part of.

Accept the two are different and move on.

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Currently I mostly snowboard. I started skiing when I was 5 and snowboarding when I was 15 (I am now 27). I still ski sometimes, and own a pair of snowblades for fun use.

I am not the sort of snowboarder who sits around on the slope. I don't really do many jumps. I certainly travel down the slope, I've had GPS speed tracking running and can comfortably travel at 35-40mph.

As a former skier who knows the rules I would like to think that when I am on the board I am an exception. I don't run into people. I only stop at the side of the slope. I look up before I start moving. I avoid people below me and don't really worry about people above me. The people who annoy me most on the piste are those who start moving without looking up first. I have almost wiped quite a lot of people out who decide to move from stationary into my path when I am only a few meters away and travelling quite quickly. These people tend to be skiers. That said the only time someone has taken me out in the past few years was a snowboarder.

I ride a Burton Omen 163, Burton Step-In boots and bingings.

18. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i used to ski, now i mostly board. though not lately, knees have been torn up.
    Lib Tech M Cummings 158, Burton Customs (-12/+8, +1/0 offset) and Northwave boots

19. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I have a few boards for different days..Rome "agent" 152 for park, Ride "DH" 155 for cliffs and park jumps, and Burton "seven" (seven deadly sins model, before the "sevens" become pieces of junk) 156 for powder days...I have Ride Tomcat LTD bindings (you can't buy these, you have to get them from ride) +15 / -13 degress and 23.5" wide stance, and Ride Amp LTD boots

20. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

skier here - this winter will be my 14th season! I've gone snowboarding a bunch of times and I know the basics but I don't own a board. I'm a lot better skiing and that's what I would rather do.

No problem with snowboarders - more of my friends do that than ski but we all go out on the mountain together and get along great.

I love skiing all over the mountain but love the trees more than anything. also love the pow! I currently ski atomic metron m:11's - they are amazing skis - highly recommend them.

I ski mostly in Vermont and also Maine a lot, with a trip out west every year or two over the past several years...also like to hit Tuckerman Ravine in the Spring...

21. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

about skiers hating snowboarders, here are my thoughts:

more young people are choosing to learn to snowboard vs ski these days. so their are more snowboarding noob's on the mountain doing stupid noob things. snowboarding has a shorter learning curve than skiing, so it's more likely to get a noob boarder out on the advanced/expert trails...they may have learned enough to ride harder trails, but not necesarily understand all the written & unwritten rules experienced skiers & boarders follow...

my friends that board know the rules of the mountain and follow them just like an experienced skier does. they don't sit around at random places on the trail. they also buckle in very fast so there's not any waiting around when we get off the lift either.

I think that's probably true of most snowboarders. I think it's just that becasue there are more noob boarders than skiers, it causes people to stereotype more...

22. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Skiing since I was three, though haven't been very often since moving to CA in 1999 (it's expensive and far away).

I know you're writing in English, but none of this makes any sense at all - LOL. Oh, except for "powder days" - I remember them fondly from being but a wee lass growing up in NH.

23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I take it you live close enough to the slopes to make this sensible! I have to fly abroad to go boarding so I simply can't carry that many boards! The airline would have a fit :D

24. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

This is going to be my 14th year skiing and I usually like to get at least 40-50 days per year (including weekday practice). This is also my 10th year racing for WV in New Hampshire.

As for gear, I get great deals on Atomics, and I prefer them to other race stocks out there. I have a couple of pairs of GS 11's and a couple SL 11's. I also managed to score a virtually free pair of SX 11's that I now use as my rock skis. My Lange WC 130's feel like slippers at this point, or maybe my feet have grown to adapt to them. I tune all my own skis before race days (takes at least an hour a pair). I have purchased tons of stuff from Artech (PDF Catalog) and have probably put his kids through college (he has cut me some slack though). I highly recommend them if you are looking for high quality ski prep gear, they are great to deal with. Frankly if you are interested in starting to tune your own skis, its become somewhat of a serious hobby for me so drop me a PM/email.