Skin a Dock 1.0b

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by G4scott, Nov 3, 2002.

1. macrumors 68020

G4scott

This is an interesting little app. In my opinion, it's the coolest thing you can do to your dock. You can actually play with your dock :D :p

get it here!

2. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Wow, that's pretty funny.

I also like their Snoe app.

3. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well sounds cool.. but I tried downloading it and all I got was a disk image with a Readme about the Beta software...

irmongoose

4. macrumors 6502

same here... what a bummer - looks like it could be pretty interesting.

5. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well I saw the ratings at VersionTracker by the people who actaully managed to download it... and it doesn't sound that good. Seems as if it causes major conflicts with Mail, iChat, Candybar.... looks like it's caused by the APE framework... so.. guess we'll have to wait for a new version.

irmongoose

6. macrumors member

I just downloaded and installed it - pretty cool stuff. I right now have skinned my dock to be covered in frost - looks pretty cool with that Sno appplication that was mentioned above.

My one complaint with the Skin a Dock is that those visual dock cues - at least the ones in Adium, that let you know who has IMed you, who has just signed on, etc. - don't show up when the icon is skinned.

Oh well.

Davis

7. macrumors 68040

mac15

make sure, you turn off Transparent dock before doing this, it stuffed my ssytem bad, I needed to reinstall........and it makes my dock look like a-dock for OS9

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

well, this program is still beta, and it is a haxie, so I didn't expect it to work all of the time, but for what it does, it's cool. I've never seen a program that could skin the dock like that before. I don't seem to be having any major problems, just some weird looking dock stuff, but nothing too bad...

9. macrumors 601

cb911

whoa!! this is cool. i remember them first announcing it, i'll have a look at it... but i'm always careful with beta versions.

10. macrumors 6502

what the hell? all i still get is a .rtf file...

11. macrumors 6502

12. macrumors 601

cb911

all i got was the .rtf as well. and it looks like they're having serever problems.

has anyone got a copy that we could all get?

13. macrumors 68020

Beej

Looks cool. How does it handle docks on the side? I keep mine on the right. Does it turn the grass sideways or just have tufts of grass under each icon?

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

it turns all of the icons sideways, depending on which side of the screen it's on. The only thing that doesn't look so nice is when you have magnification on... It doesn't magnify smoothly, but I don't think there's any way to truly do that.

Unfortunately, though, I think this program may have done something weird to my beloved iBook...

15. macrumors 604

scem0

I looks really cool, but if it messes up computer then I'm not going
    to dl it. I like the fire one. I have the perfect background to go
    along with it too.... :eek: time to wait patiently ;) .

16. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Hehe I can tell it's beta. On my mac it doesn't rotate to fit my left-aligned dock. Also for some reason it rotated some of my icons. But still looks good for when it's final release.

17. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i still haven't been able to even get it to skin..i've turned everything related to changing the dock off and it still doesn't work...i tell it to apply the "skin" and i get the spinning beachball forever...nothing happens at all