Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

On my old MacBook Pro, I had a Speck hardshell, and it was great, but added a lot of bulk. So for my new MacBook Air 11, I want something that protects it from scratches without making it ugly and bulky.

The choices I'm considering:
1 - ZaggSkin - I like the fact That I can choose my own design
2 - ICarbons - Looks really sleek
3 - Wrapsol - Keeps the naked look with a matte finish, unlike the invisibleshield, which is shiny and reflective..

What do you recommend, if you have experience with any of these? Hows the quality?- I dont want it peeling up after a few months.. Or is there anything better? Thanks!

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Go with a ZAGGskin. Create your own. It's a dry adhesive, too.

You've probably seen my "composition notebook" skin. You can download it from here. To date, it still looks awesome and is holding up very well, not worn or anything, and it protects most of the exposed surfaces.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

BeyondtheTech said:
Go with a ZAGGskin. Create your own. It's a dry adhesive, too.

You've probably seen my "composition notebook" skin. You can download it from here. To date, it still looks awesome and is holding up very well, not worn or anything, and it protects most of the exposed surfaces.

Ended up ordering a full body zaggskin. Uploaded my own design, so I'll see how it turns out.. Btw, awesome composition book skin! I bet that turns a lot of heads!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

imac2007 said:

Gelskins have awesome designs but I went with ZaggSkins because I wanted full body coverage, not just on the top. Thanks though!

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Just ordered a custom GelaSkins skin. Really easy to upload and layout. Plus the site has tons of designs. I just thought using my own would make it more personal. Really appreciate the user who referenced this site.

There’s also several YouTube videos on how to apply the skins. They look as they will not damage your cover, but merely protect it.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I've been pondering whether or not to get a skin for the MBA to keep it nice and scratch-free...

Honestly though, I've covered so many iDevices and iPods in my life I'd hate to do the same to my MBA. If you take care of it, then it'll stay in good condition.

Also, my belief is that the vanilla look is the best, and no skin can change that (Wrapsol changes the feel of the sleek aluminum). :cool:

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Also, my belief is that the vanilla look is the best, and no skin can change that (Wrapsol changes the feel of the sleek aluminum). :cool:

Normally, I maintain the vanilla look of my Mac hardware, but it’s something about the Air that I want to give it a more personal outside design. Sure, it’s nice to have the Apple logo and stylish design of the existing cover, but I think putting a skin on the cover will just make seem more like a real work horse computer.

But who knows, I might change my mind once I add on the skin. I’ve never done it before to any of my devices, so we’ll see.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Just ordered a custom GelaSkins skin. Really easy to upload and layout. Plus the site has tons of designs. I just thought using my own would make it more personal. Really appreciate the user who referenced this site.

There’s also several YouTube videos on how to apply the skins. They look as they will not damage your cover, but merely protect it.

My custom GelaSkins skin arrived today. It feels a little weird to cover up the Apple logo cover, but on the other hand, I feel like I‘m making a statement by covering up Apple and putting on a cover that expresses something about me. Not sure how long I‘ll leave it on, but I‘m glad I got it. I was able to put it on in like less than a minute. And I‘ve read that it comes off really easy. If nothing else, it’s a little added protection for my Air.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
My custom GelaSkins skin arrived today. It feels a little weird to cover up the Apple logo cover, but on the other hand, I feel like I‘m making a statement by covering up Apple and putting on a cover that expresses something about me. Not sure how long I‘ll leave it on, but I‘m glad I got it. I was able to put it on in like less than a minute. And I‘ve read that it comes off really easy. If nothing else, it’s a little added protection for my Air.

Looks cool. I ended up getting the ZaggSkin because it had the full body option, and I didnt see that for the Gelaskins. Just got mine in the mail yesterday, and installation was pretty simple.. I'll see how it holds up after a few months. Overall, it adds a bit of a grip to the laptop, which is nice.. although having it on the trackpad too is a little awkward for now because its not as slick as the naked trackpad, but I guess itll just take a little getting used to.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Looks cool. I ended up getting the ZaggSkin because it had the full body option, and I didnt see that for the Gelaskins. Just got mine in the mail yesterday, and installation was pretty simple.. I'll see how it holds up after a few months. Overall, it adds a bit of a grip to the laptop, which is nice.. although having it on the trackpad too is a little awkward for now because its not as slick as the naked trackpad, but I guess itll just take a little getting used to.

Yeah, I agree with you about the little added grip. I get that with the skin I use. However, I think the next skin I get will not cover the entiren top. I want one that still shows the Apple icon, but has an etched design look. The few people whom have seen the skin so far think it's pretty cool--at least different. It's a little way of sharing some of the types of books I read.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
However, I think the next skin I get will not cover the entiren top. I want one that still shows the Apple icon, but has an etched design look.

This is why I was considering the iCarbons skin. Its got a textured design and has a cut out for the apple logo. Thats the one gripe i have with my zaggskin, is that it covers the logo, and its so thick that the light does not shine through. I considered taking an Xacto knife and cutting it out, as I can clearly see the border of the logo, but I didnt want to damage the laptop, so I probably wont end up doing that..lol. anyways, i really like the unique look of my laptop now, and i i think bcuz its a darker design i picked out, it makes my MBA look even smaller than it is!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.