skipping in itunes 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kcr123, Dec 26, 2006.

1. kcr123 macrumors newbie

So I just downloaded itunes 7 today.. (My sister got the new shuffle for christmas and so it was necessary. Otherwise I try to avoid it due to an unfortunate library-wiping incident.) Everything was fine, but when listening to a song that I haven't played it months, there was a ridiculous amount of skipping. Now, this song was ripped from a CD, but in all the times I've listened to it before on itunes, there were no problems. Then, I listened to a song I've been listening to a lot lately, and the same thing happened. The skipping seems to occur when I'm clicking a link in the net browser (Firefox, for what that's worth) or when a page is loading particularly slowly.

It's still very annoying.. any ideas as to why/how to fix this would be very much appreciated. thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of computer do you have? Does it skip if you play it in QuickTime? :)

3. kcr123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows XP. There's a lot of space left so that's probably not causing it. And they play fine in Quicktime. I'm positive it's itunes 7 because this has never happened before.

I've read a lot of other posts with the same problem but there doesn't seem to be a clear solution..

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

5. kcr123 thread starter macrumors newbie

That didn't change anything. It almost always happens when I'm doing anything other than looking at an already open internet page/folder. Try to load a new page, open a new folder.. it skips. Too bad that's what you DO on the computer.

Wasn't 7.0.2 supposed to fix this?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried recreating your library? My PC has to deal with a tonne of songs but it doesn't skip, no matter what else I'm doing. Of course, my Macs work much better. ;)

7. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i have used the new iTunes on windows machines, and boy it sucks
    everyone said "i hate the new iTunes" (all windows users)
    iTunes 7 + OSX = good
    iTunes 7 + anything windows = bad

8. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I recently got the EXACT same problem. I use iTunes 7.5.0.20. When is this going to be fixed? Its very annoying.

EDIT: Got a solution:

Quit iTunes, open QuickTime preferences in the Windows control panel, choose “Sound Out”, and change the playback device from DirectSound to waveOut. Close QuickTime Settings, restart iTunes. No more skipping. ;)

EDIT #2: This did work for me at first, but I got the same thing again...