Sky by Broadband not available to Mac Users: please complain

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TimandJane06, Jul 9, 2006.

1. TimandJane06 macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2006
    Dear Mac Users

Subject: Sky by Broadband not available to Mac users

Recently it became apparent that the new Sky by Broadband service allowing the downloading of movies free to Sky subscribers has not been made available to for the Mac platform.

As dedicated Mac users, we find this yet another irritating example of the marginalisation that Mac users face daily. Below is a series of correspondence relating to this issue – if you feel the same as we do, then please email your comments to Mr Peter Stone at with a copy to us at

Thank you.

Sent: 01 July 2006 20:28
    Subject: Downloading movies - existing customer well irritated by windows platform

I have been a Sky customer for years now and I am totally disgusted by your absence of Mac platform for the downloading movie service. Given that creative people tend to use macs for video and film editing, I cannot believe that you have left mac users out of your equation. So, my question is - are you going to make movies available to download to mac users?

Jane Jones
    Sent: Tuesday, July 4, 2006 16:38
    Subject: Downloading movies - existing customer well irritated by windows platform

Dear Jane

Thank you for your email concerning downloading Sky by Broadband.

I can confirm that customer who are registering for Sky by Broadband via a non- Windows XP computer will find that you are not given the option to download the application.

Sky has selected Windows XP as the operating system of choice to launch Sky By Broadband. Taking into account the features of Sky by Broadband, we feel that Windows XP best meets the needs and expectations of our customers, particularly when watching videos on your PC.

There are no firm plans to expand compatibility to other operating system at this time. However, we will always consider customer feedback in our plans to enhance the product in the future.

Should you require further assistance, please contact me on the above email address or contact Sky by Broadband customer services on 0870 609 4508.

Kind Regards

Peter Stone
    Sky By Broadband

Sent: Sunday, July 9, 2006 11:33
    To: Customer Zone <>

Thank you for your reply of 4th July. According to your website, Sky by Broadband is available to existing Sky digital customers who subscribe to the full Sky package:

‘Sky by broadband is a new service exclusive to Sky digital customers. It allows you to enjoy hundreds of films on your PC, including a mix of Hollywood blockbusters and classic movie titles available on Sky Movies. ?In addition, you can enjoy highlights from many of the major sporting events on Sky Sports. ??If you're a Sky digital customer, you can get the following Sky by broadband services at no extra cost…’ downloaded 9.6.06

Therefore, we would argue that this service should be available to us regardless of the operating system we are using and to deny us access is therefore discriminatory. As a result, we are formally requesting a partial refund on the monthly charge of £42.50 to reflect the denial of full service.

With kind regards

Mr and Mrs T Jones
  2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    why doesnt it work?

what is it that stops a mac working?
  3. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    You should ge a refund! Their reply was awful too. Why in the world would they want to alienate customers like that?
  4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Jun 24, 2004
    WMP10 only. I suppose Boot Camp removes some of the issue, but I'd like the service through Quicktime not surprisingly.
    Can't see it happening anytime soon though.
  5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    This is where I think the BBC does the job a lot better. There's nothing better than watching Top Gear whenever I want :p I think its terrible that Sky can get away with this.
  6. andy89 macrumors 6502

May 22, 2005
    Folkestone, England
    Where can you dowload the bbc stuff, I've looked and havn't been able to find it anywhere.
  7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    You can use RealPlayer to view the streams from the BBC's site; I'm watching the Wimbledon men's single final as I write.

However, it's usually for UK users only, I'm afraid.
  8. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Sep 4, 2005
  9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
  10. TimandJane06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 9, 2006
    Sky by broadband not for Mac Users: thank you

Thank you to all for replying - have posted on other forums and have had people replying saying they have emailed Sky. Let's hope it has an affect.

Tim and Jane
  11. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I mailed them back when it was still a 'trial' to be told that they weren't doing anything while it was just a trial. Don't hold your breath...
  12. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's just like web application developers who only develop for IE. They suck. Pure and simple. They suck at their job, they suck at their life, they suck at being decent human beings.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Ibuprofen is a soft sissy-girl's painkiller. :p

I should know, I took about 8 or 10 a day for six months. Now Morphine, that's a good painkiller.

Telstra (who suck) here in Australia have a very similar system only it's not tied in with cable TV (because cable TV sucks and hardly anyone has it, that applies to all forms of Pay TV down here) called BigPond movies or something like that. It's Windows-only but nobody seems to care because nobody uses it.

They thought it would be a great idea to offer movie downloads that are sized in the gigabytes to your average Aussie family who has a 500MB or 1GB monthly download limit on their slow-arse "broadband" connection and when they exceed it, it's pretty much first-born time when Telstra come to collect the bill.
  14. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah, try tellin me that when you've taken 3 800 MG pills of it and drank all night. Even that 60 year old with the seven teeth and one eye down the street is lookin good right now.