"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveman Deluxe, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I just went and saw this movie with my dad. It was absolutely amazing. I've been looking forward to this movie for months, and it delivered. The script was excellent, the actors gave remarkable performances, the casting was spot-on, and the visual effects were a treat. This is a movie that is worth your money.

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i have to say i love opinions

i love how someone can give the review you did, make me check it out on imdb and read a review like this:

"I had my hopes up that this really could be a breakthrough film, that it could potentially catch the excitement of being immersed in a different universe – such as 'Star Wars'. Alas, it will probably seen as this year's 'Tron' or 'Final Fantasy'. They are breakthrough films that are destined to become cult hits, but will not get a popular reception during it's initial run. This movie attempts to capture those 'Indiana Jones' moments or the like. The biggest problem is that our two main characters – Jude Law & Gwyneth Paltrow – are as stiff as characters in the latest 'Star Wars' series...."

theres more to that review...

It really goes to show you that you can't trust anyones review, unless you know you have similar tastes as them... but if you read a newspaper or tv or magazine review... it doesn't mean anything.

3. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I saw the previews for this and it looked pretty strange. I was wondering, is this based on something or it is it an original thing?

4. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Just the very name of it sounds like a packet of sugar coated cereal pops.

Weird.

If I turned up to the cinema and this was the only thing on I think I'll pop in next door for a 2 hour pizza.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think it looks like a good film. I enjoy films that are different because its usually better than the other crappy films showing in the other cinemas. Seriously, do we really need another white cop/black cop comedy to showcase cultural differences like the white cop appreciating rap for the very first time ( :rolleyes: ), black guy trying to make the boring white cop's life more interesting by helping him improve his image or something, but then his plan screws up, the white cop loses his girl, and now black cop has to help him get her back, etc, etc, etc....

For me, if the choices were Dodgeball (which just came out here) or Sky Captain (which hasn't come out here yet), I'd say Sky Captain looks like quality, a film that will give you something back for the money you paid. :)

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

New story. The look is supposed to be inspired by the 1940s Superman cartoons, and Sky Captain is supposed to be based on this guy.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hmm. Just took at look at the comments at IMDb, and I haven't seen this much disparity of opinion on a film since "The Blair Witch Project".

And since (IMO) the naysayers were wrong about that film, I can't wait to see "Sky Captain".

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

got another good review from my roommate, though he tends to like a lot of movies. I do like jude law, i'll have to see it sometime.

9. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Well, it's an original script and story, although it's been heavily influenced by other movies of the genre. I felt as if the dialogue really helped the movie. I also rather enjoyed the photography--it was very evocative, with splashes of color in just the right places. The battle scenes were very well realized in particular.

10. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i just found the article about it in the apple hot news section. I enjoy reading those.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The movie title and cinematography seem so exaggerated and stereotypical to me that it seems to me it would only be good if the movie were trying to be satirical.

12. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

This movie seems to be going the way of "The Village." People either loved it or hated it. I read stuff at the imdb quite a bit, and I don't take it too seriously, they have a lot of trolling going on there too.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There was a similar article in the Los Angeles Times yesterday, telling how writer-director Kerry Conran worked for four years, starting with his Mac IIci, to create the 6-minute demo that led to the movie being made. They quote him saying he wanted to prove that you could "make a film of some scope without leaving your room."

Despite some lukewarm movie reviews, maybe that in itself is enough reason to see it -- to support a fanatic Mac shut-in!

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think exaggeration is fine. Its a movie. The weird cinematography makes it seem more out of touch with reality. If you don't mind that, then you'll like it. I know people who complained how Crouching Tiger was so dumb because it was so unrealistic. Well, no ship, Sherlock. Its a fictitious story, not a documentary. I don't care if they didn't like the movie, but not liking it because it wasn't realistic......man, someone should slap them. :eek:

People look for different things from movies, so I can understand if you don't like it.

15. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

It's definitely a love it or hate it movie. I liked it.

The look is intentionally very stylized. That alone is going to throw a lot of people off. It's made to look more like a cartoon than anything (right down to the circular radio waves raditating away from towers carrying morse code).

The story is ridiculous, and intentionally so. It's a combination of 40's serial with 50's sci fi.

There is no attempt to be realistic. You're expected to drop yourself into the look and feel of the movie, and suspend disbelief like you did as a little kid.

The movie pays homage to old war movies, cartoons, comic books, the old serials, and old sci fi. It's drawing from everything, and if you don't have a background in those you're going to lose a lot.

All of that adds up to a movie that is guaranteed to split opinion. But almost everything that I've read in this thread that could be considered a complaint is stuff that was done intentionally for the feel of the movie. When you look at the movie and see the wierd colouring, the strange lighting, the soft look, the over-the-top acting, that's all in there on purpose. The question becomes will you enjoy a movie that looks and feels like that, bearing in mind it knows what it's doing?

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Anybody who ever gets the chance should see Fritz Lang's movie Metropolis. The movie was an amazing achievement in the silent era (although don't be surprised - the web site is a bit noisy). In any case, it's also a very stylized movie, which was waaaaaaaaaay ahead of its time. I really do recommend it.

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just saw this movie last night and I enjoyed it. Of course it's not "movie of the year" but you can only have one of those right? :)

It was certainly an enjoyable 2 hours or so. I'll probably end up buying it on DVD just to see how they made it. I suppose I know 'how' they made it but I'd like to know more.

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I love the 40's into the future type movies and such back when there was good and evil. Anyone remember Tales of the Gold Monkey?

The future just isn't what it used to be.

19. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I've been looking foward to this one for some time, can't wait to see it tonight.

20. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i've seen it, it was quite good.

also, 40s/future movies always remind me of the rocketeer. Although the movie was super grand, jennifer connelly was super hot in it.

21. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Plot point?

I enjoyed the movie for the look and feel of the old classic sci-fi flicks/serials. Only one nagging question, if the control signal originated in (location x), how come nothing was there except the key to proceed to (location y)? Was the movie too short?

22. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Well said.

Back in the 40's and 50's, Progress was always right and good, and led us forward into new vistas where the magic of technology was expected to eventually accomplish anything we could imagine. The sky was the limit, and a scientifically-engineered paradise just over the horizon, guided by the belief that man was meant to use his intellect to master Nature. This wonder and optimism is one of the underlying themes of much of the era's action/adventure stories and the early science fiction.

Decades later, some of the dreams of those Golden Age pulp sci-fi writers have been realized in ways they only barely conceived of, some things remain as well out of our grasp as they ever were. We've mapped the human genome, but we've also got global warming and pollution. Formerly amazing technological advances are pretty much taken for granted, and cynicism abounds. Look at today's action/adventure, and the most popular science fiction: things like the Matrix, and the Terminator. The message is that technology, while amazing, comes with a price, and is never quite what you thought it would be.

Sky Captain tries to go back to that early stage of comparitive technological innocence, and I believe that the look of it is quite consciously intended to evoke not just the stylistic conventions of that time, but our post-modern collective perception of it. The edges of things are softened and blur away like a memory that escapes when you try to hold on to it, and the colors are alternately dimmed, or vivid like something imagined in a dream. You're not looking at a remake of an old serial, you're peering through the imagination of someone who saw too many of them to count, until they all blurred together into this re-creation.

Of course, none of that will matter if the story is crap. I've only seen trailers and photos so far, and I really like the conceptualization of it; but tomorrow night I'll find out if I like the movie.

23. apple2991 macrumors 6502

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while.

24. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I have high hopes for this film... I really hope to enjoy it. I know if it doedsnt do well It will be a while before hollywood invests in "something diffrent" again.. Wich means Ill be stuck watching crappy Brainless crap that seem to pass for blockbusters now a days... If it sucks.. then I will end up reviewing it on my web site :-/ Either way I get something out of it :p