sky+ versus iTV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DoogieWoogie, Nov 2, 2006.

1. DoogieWoogie macrumors member

Nov 19, 2005
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My mate currently has sky+ (full package) but is seriously thinking of switching to something less costly. Whats the main advantages, disadvantages, differences of iTV.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I'm using EyeTV and I can't imagine [TV] life without it now. the USB adapter only cost me £70 and I'm now able to watch the most crystal sharp 576p TV image available in the UK. Plus £15/20 per year for the (ability to record channels whilst away from your computer, view TV listings in the application etc) subscription.

Sky has more channels though. but the flexibility and quality of EyeTV really shines through. Suppose it's easy for me as I don't really watch much outside of the BBCs selection of channels.
  3. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    You're just going to have to wait till it's released and/or Apple provides more info about it's capabilities.
  4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    Well, for starters iTV requires content stored on a computer and so isn't really a box for receiving free-to-air or subscription TV. We don't know the final specs, but I doubt this will change.

Given a choice, I'd contact sky and ask if I could cancel my subscription, move down to just FreeSat and still record those channels with sky+. If so, thumbs up. If not, it's either lowering the package or still ditching the lot and buying a hard disk recorder with twin freeview tuner.

Either way, unless they substantially change iTV, or your friend isn't after something with a tuner and HDD in, it's probably an easy choice.
  5. Dubba macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    Nairobi, Kenya
    I am an existing Sky customer (and had Sky+ until recently). You CANNOT cancel your subscription and still use the Sky+ box as a regular HDD. In order to use it, you MUSt pay the £10 per month fee in addition to any packages; if you want to use Sky+ you have to take the minimum package (which is £15) + pay £10 for Sky+.